Thoughts on 1 Division?

Here is my best shot at a realignment that is more feasible maybe? Thoughts?

Plains Division
Nebraska
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Northwestern
Colorado(add)
BYU(add)
Illinois
Iowa State(add)

Rust Belt Division
Michigan
Michigan state
Ohio state
Indiana
Purdue
Rutgers
Penn state
West Virginia(add)
Cincinnati(add)

Every team plays each team in their division once (8 games) plus one crossover and 2 Non-Conference games for a total of 11 games. Last week is championship week and each team plays the other divisions team in their spot (1vs1, 2vs2) etc... 12 games before a bowl game.

Plains Division
Nebraska
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Northwestern
Colorado(add)
BYU(add)
Illinois
Iowa State(add)

Rust Belt Division
Michigan
Michigan state
Ohio state
Indiana
Purdue
Rutgers
Penn state
West Virginia(add)
Cincinnati(add)

Every team plays each team in their division once (8 games) plus one crossover and 2 Non-Conference games for a total of 11 games. Last week is championship week and each team plays the other divisions team in their spot (1vs1, 2vs2) etc... 12 games before a bowl game.
While I don’t mind it from a football perspective...the only school you mentioned that has both the academic profile and value added component that would be a viable candidate for addition is Colorado.

While I don’t mind it from a football perspective...the only school you mentioned that has both the academic profile and value added component that would be a viable candidate for addition is Colorado.
Iowa State has the academics but adds no viewers. I guess the question is is BYU adds enough viewers (SLC?) But they are not AAU.

Iowa State has the academics but adds no viewers. I guess the question is is BYU adds enough viewers (SLC?) But they are not AAU.
Plus the no events on Sunday’s thing would completely complicate basketball scheduling

Wisconsin has won multiple big ten title games before they went East/west

The fact of the matter is whatever division Ohio state is in the last 5 years is going to be at least 5-2.
If not for two or three plays Ohio state might be 7-0 the last 7 years

True, Wisconsin did win 2 BTT in the Legends/Leaders set up but one of those (2012) came when the Badgers finished 3rd behind Penn St & Ohio St who were not eligible. They then trucked a now fellow West squad (Nebraska).

They did beat Mich St the year before. Sparty has the distinction of being the only current East team to lose in the Championship game.

Maybe Bret Bielema can add more Big 10 Titles to his resume and bring some respectability to the Big 10 West now that he's in Champaign!

I think dropping divisions in a league that doesn’t have a complete round robin schedule would require an NCAA rule change. Was just reading an article about possible SEC schedule changes and the big 12 exception wouldn’t apply to big ten because big ten doesn’t play a full round robin

Unless you think Iowa State fans don't have TV's, computers, or phones (possible ...), adding ISU to the Big Ten would add viewers. That's objective.

It might not add additional cable/sat/payTV subscribers for the BTN. That's the actual thing. I could possibly see picking up a couple, say around KC, perhaps more on the Missouri side, but it all depends on where Neb alumni live. Maybe there are some suburban cable systesm where there weren't enough Neb alumni alone to push it to pickup BTN, but adding ISU alumni then gets it over the top. But it I'm guessing it wouldn't be too many like that.

No. Horrible idea. No one gives a crap about the Big XII or ACC.

Keep the divisions, by East/West, just like the SEC. The SEC got it right the first time and no one has improved on it.

Plains Division
Nebraska
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Northwestern
Colorado(add)
BYU(add)
Illinois
Iowa State(add)

Rust Belt Division
Michigan
Michigan state
Ohio state
Indiana
Purdue
Rutgers
Penn state
West Virginia(add)
Cincinnati(add)

You kicked Maryland out of the conference?

Of all schools I think Minnesota would lose the most from 1 division. Only Minnesota and Michigan are the primary historic rivals of 2 B1G schools instead of 1 or 0, and we're probably tied with Iowa as Nebraska's chief conference rival.

It's likely that our rivalries would scatter to the winds under 1 division, the schedule would get a little harder, and the path to winning the league gets hazier.

Also not a fan of adding any more schools to the league, no matter who they are. Pitt, Notre Dame, and Iowa State are the only I wouldn't vomit over adding. Dilution isn't good for the league. We're only playing Wisconsin once in a 20 game basketball schedule and my IU alum dad and I have been waiting almost a decade to see Minnesota @ Indiana together.

Last edited:

Missouri is not going to pay to leave the SEC and also walk away from the brand new deal that the SEC made with ESPN
Yep. Big 10 and SEC hold all the cards in alignment. Really the two should agree on some deal and force the hand. This needs to go to a 64 team league with 4 conferences.

Yep. Big 10 and SEC hold all the cards in alignment. Really the two should agree on some deal and force the hand. This needs to go to a 64 team league with 4 conferences.
The SEC is not interested in a compromise or share on their new deal which is the best their is. Plus, as the population continues to grow to the Southeast their strength grows. The ACC is so individually split by schools power structure. Two AD's said that tv money will not be a deal breaker because they are sitting on 8 billion plus in endowments and that it is a much larger deal at schools with much smaller numbers. I enjoyed conferences when everyone played each other. Now that we are mostly done with that lets go conference champions from the big 5 and 3 at large and give the money only to teams that made the final 8. Love how Texas did it, their own network or Tex. AM, largest donors in athletic history. Check out their revenue !

But Y tho?

B1G and SEC are making a lot of money... trying to enforce their will on all the other schools, conferences for ... what? As it is most of those other conferences are already out of the playoffs?

Plus, as the population continues to grow to the Southeast their strength grows.
That’s not the case. The “growth” in the Southeast is insignificant. It doesn’t even move the needle compared to the Big Ten’s footprint, Also, virtually only about 10% of the Southeast’s growth is the within the target market for college football. And many counties in SEC country are actually shrinking.

I’m pretty into Gopher football. And, I’m just beginning to embrace the East/West divisions with the added schools to the Big Ten. I like it. I think we can compete annually in our division. I’m into it.
If it goes to one division I’m going to lose some interest. More casual fans are going to further tune out. Sure, beat Ohio State and Michigan some year and everybody will be on board.
I like playing Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska every year for the title. Winning those games means we win the division in all likelihood and that’s challenging, interesting and exciting for me. Purdue is inching in as an annual rival. Like it more each year as it is! And I know Northwestern won the division...kind of like shame on all the rest of you guys. Bielema is going to elevate the desire to beat Illinois. It’s fun just the way it is.

If it goes one division, no non conference games and everybody plays everybody every year is the only way it works for me.
Don’t fix what ain’t broke.

I happen to like the divisional system that is currently in place. Just my opinion, but I think it does more to promote regional rivalries and thus more fan interest.

No. Horrible idea. No one gives a crap about the Big XII or ACC.

Keep the divisions, by East/West, just like the SEC. The SEC got it right the first time and no one has improved on it.
For the most part, I agree with this.

Selfishly, I'd like to pick up Iowa State and Indiana, in the West. Two more football programs that are much closer to being peer programs to West teams, than the elite East programs. Meaning two more schools would have to be added to the East. As crazy as it sounds (and as unlikely as it is to happen), Cincinnati and Pittsburgh would be two good adds. Just fantasizing anyway.

Top Bottom