Thoughts from last night

Juicer

Reaction score
Some thoughts from last night.

Freshmen/Newcomers:

Hollins - most impressive out of all from my perspective. Much more athletic than I expected, very fluid, smooth player. I can see why Tubby likes him; seems like a nice, quiet kid who plays hard. I expect him to be in the rotation all year long.

Armelin - I was intrigued by him based on earlier information. He is shorter than I thought (appeared to be just over 6 feet tall). Very athletic, quick and active on the offensive and defensive ends. However his shot mechanics are completely broken. It is a total knuckleball, and he has a kind of weird hitch when he gets ready to let it go. All in all he might play some this year, but I am not expecting much immediately.

Walker - the good: huge body, soft hands, good positional rebounder. The bad: he is slow. When stacked up against Colton and Ralph, those guys were more clearly able to beat him down the court nearly every time. I expect him to play some backup minutes this year, but behind Mbakwe, Colton and Ralph will be limited.

Ahanmisi - didn't see much either way. Not overly athletic, not overly quick, not a great shooter, not overly solid with the ball, just seems like a guy that is going to be here 4 years and in his senior year will be a solid role player. Before that, I'm not expecting much.

Eliason - when my buddy and I saw warmups, we looked at this guy and said "uh oh", in reference to his seemingly gangly body, uncoordinated movements and general lack of fluidity in movement. However, when the scrimmage started, even though he looked out of place, he was int he right position most of the time, showed a good touch around the basket, held his own against Colton and Ralph, and generally looked okay out there. I would highly recommend a redshirt however considering the lack of minutes available.

Osenieks - appears to be a good shooter, somewhat athletic, and generally looks like a basketball player. Made a 3 in the scrimmage but other than that looked a little overmatched athletically. A year of practicing should make him better.

Mbakwe - man among boys. Gifted athletically like few people in the world. His strength, athleticism, and overall energy should make him our best player this year. I am very excited to see him in Big Ten play, I think he is the perfect Big Ten player. Rugged, athletic, mean streak, etc. He wasn't even trying very hard in the scrimmage, yet was everywhere, rebounds, blocked shots, etc.

Halvorson - athletic big man. Could be a solid role player in 2-3 years. Very strong and athletic.

Returners:

Hoff - same old Hoff. Love watching him shoot it, thing of beauty. Always in position in defense, gets rebounds you wouldn't expect him to get, not much off the dribble offensively. I'm glad he is on our team, and he should make a bunch of 3s again this year because of our strength in the frontcourt should command some collapsing defenses.

Devoe - natural scorer showed it last night. Wasn't playing hard but was our best offensive player by far. I'm thinking 15 points a game this year, all Big Ten 2nd team. I am a Devoe fan.

Ralph - the big enigma. Didn't do much last night, but I expect some improvement over last year. Still does the fadeaway thing, which drives me nuts.

Colton - looked improved to me, showing the same activity level he did during the BTT last year. Looked much more fluid athletically than in past years. He is a HUGE body, and we are lucky to have him on our team. I wouldn't want to play down low against Colton, he's just big and strong.

Al - same old Al. Fits perfectly in Tubby's system. Defensively focused. Painful to watch him shoot it. I really like Al's game other than the shooting, so it will be good to have him back this year.

Dawson - not much to say.

Overall comments:
This will be the most athletic team we've had in a while. I am very excited to see Mbakwe, Devoe and what he can do in a go-to scorer role, Hollins playing a lot as a freshman, and getting Rodney back. We have some serious quickness and athleticism that should allow us to match up with the top teams in the league. I am usually a glass half empty guy but this year I feel really good about our prospects. The team can play fast because we have the athletes, can play slow because we've got the size.

The one concern is outside shooting. We really only have 2 reliable 3-point shooters who have played before. Hollins could have some impact here, but it is an unknown. We need to have a couple of other guys step up and hit some 3s. I was not a Westbrook fan, but at least he was a threat in addition to Devoe and Hoff. I am a firm believer that shooting depth is critical. Look at the teams in the championship game this year (Duke and Butler). Duke had shooters at all 4 non-center positions, Butler had the same. They also could bring guys off the bench that could be a threat. Again, I hope that Hollins can do that for us.

my thing is by having an athletic team brings that pressure D back into play

I agree with virtually everything you said. This is a good summary of each player to me.

The x-factor is Rodney. Depending on how he performs this year - particularly as a scoring threat at the wing - will be the difference between if we're a very good team or a Big Ten contender.

I agree with virtually everything you said. This is a good summary of each player to me.

The x-factor is Rodney. Depending on how he performs this year - particularly as a scoring threat at the wing - will be the difference between if we're a very good team or a Big Ten contender.

Semantics, yes, but if we are a "very good" team, I think we will be a Big Ten contender. The news above on Hummel might lift the Gophers up a notch. I had it Purdue and MSU alone at the top and about four others, including the Gophers, fighting it out for third through sixth.

Thanks for the effort, Juicer...good stuff!!!

Couldn't agree more w/ ya Juicer.

I was concerned about replacing Damian, but after watching Mbakwe last night, there's no doubt in my mind he will fill the void and be a beast in the BT.

Good review.

May explain where the extra scholarship comes from - Trevor goes pro after this year.

Thanks for the info on the players we did not see in Canada - Chip, Oto, Halvorson.

Is Stark not going to walk on (seems like he was not there)?

Good review.

May explain where the extra scholarship comes from - Trevor goes pro after this year.

Thanks for the info on the players we did not see in Canada - Chip, Oto, Halvorson.

Is Stark not going to walk on (seems like he was not there)?

I got e-mail reply to my ? about Stark yesterday. He may or may not be a Gopher this year. He may go somewhere else on scholarship at semester break.

"May explain where the extra scholarship comes from - Trevor goes pro after this year."

That may depend upon a possible NBA lockout next year and Trevor's willingness/benifit from getting one more year of development before he puts himself up for sale.

"May explain where the extra scholarship comes from - Trevor goes pro after this year."

That may depend upon a possible NBA lockout next year and Trevor's willingness/benifit from getting one more year of development before he puts himself up for sale.

At 6'8" he's going to be a great college player but he better stay two years and develop a 15 foot jumper if he has hopes of going high in the NBA draft.

great detail on each player but I have to disagree with you on Hollins being the best looking freshman. I think that Chip looked the best in the scrimmage (obviously Hollins was better in the dunk contest) Chip showed that he was ready to contribute with his ability to slash to the rim on the offensive end. Also he was not gun shy from 3 pt land, although it did look a little unorthodox I think it could have been just a bad night shooting for him. On the defensive end he competed real well against Devoe at times and actually was giving Devoe some trouble. I also liked that we saw a little hand fighting going on between Chip and Hollins. I found it a little odd that Chip started for the Gold which had mostly the projected starting lineup (Rodney probably would have been in that spot if able to go). All in all I am a Chip fan and I think he was a great late signee that can immediately provide a MUCH needed scoring punch off the bench from the SG position.

Maverick on the other hand..... work in progress

I didn't really notice Chip all that much actually (other than the airball). I thought Hollins looked the best of the freshmen by far.

I had the opposite thought on Chip.. I thought he looked very aggressive, but just wasn't as talented as some of the other players. As he develops, hopefully that aggressive mindset helps him become a very good player.

Hollins showed a little more athleticism than I was expecting, but was just the opposite of Chip in that he was very passive, though he did a couple of little things that I liked. If I could put Chip's mentality into Hollins' body and skillset, we'd have a heck of a player on our hands :)

are you kidding me? what didnt impress? he airballed because he took a tough contested shot, the other 3 he took rolled out, in warmups he was hitting threes w/o problem. just a bad night. on the other hand he played good D, got an offensive rebound and flipped in in, and slashed right into the lane and threw down a nasty slam. leading scorer for freshman w/ austin.

In fairness, you can't really watch 10 guys at once and do a good job of gauging their performances in reference to each other. Maybe you can do it for a couple guys, but that's about it. So it's just natural that there will be different views of the players' performances from an event like this. I can remember watching one practice where Evan Turner didn't really stand out, he kind of went with the flow and didn't really make any mistakes, just took what was there and only had about 4 points the whole practice, and he ended up leading the team in scoring and was a 1st team All-Big Ten player that season. On the flipside, Walter Offutt looked pretty good in practice yet barely played (and transferred at the beginning of last season). So while an event like this can give you a feel for what skills certain players have, it's still just a glorified practice and shouldn't be taken too seriously in terms of judging the players.

In fairness, you can't really watch 10 guys at once and do a good job of gauging their performances in reference to each other. Maybe you can do it for a couple guys, but that's about it. So it's just natural that there will be different views of the players' performances from an event like this. I can remember watching one practice where Evan Turner didn't really stand out, he kind of went with the flow and didn't really make any mistakes, just took what was there and only had about 4 points the whole practice, and he ended up leading the team in scoring and was a 1st team All-Big Ten player that season. On the flipside, Walter Offutt looked pretty good in practice yet barely played (and transferred at the beginning of last season). So while an event like this can give you a feel for what skills certain players have, it's still just a glorified practice and shouldn't be taken too seriously in terms of judging the players.

Do you not follow buckeye FB? Shouldn't you have a tear in your beer right now?

I agree with your point though.

You love to reference hitting 3's in warmups. I can't tell you how many people that I play pickup with are lights out from 3 and as soon as you get a hand in their face they can't make anything. Not saying Chip can't shoot 3's, but him making 3's in warmups really doesn't mean anything. Obviously he could've just had a bad shooting night, but he doesn't exactly have great form or height.

are you kidding me? what didnt impress? he airballed because he took a tough contested shot, the other 3 he took rolled out, in warmups he was hitting threes w/o problem. just a bad night. on the other hand he played good D, got an offensive rebound and flipped in in, and slashed right into the lane and threw down a nasty slam. leading scorer for freshman w/ austin.

hope

If you shoot a little unorthodox and don't make threes in the warmups or in the game....you likely can't shoot. Maybe one time can be an exception. But I'd say there is certainly value to being able to make 3's in warmups.

Not many people can make contested shots. And they shouldn't be shooting contested shots from outside unless they have Kobe or LeBron type roles.

A goofy shooting stroke is likely why Chip was available in July

If you shoot a little unorthodox and don't make threes in the warmups or in the game....you likely can't shoot. Maybe one time can be an exception. But I'd say there is certainly value to being able to make 3's in warmups.

Not many people can make contested shots. And they shouldn't be shooting contested shots from outside unless they have Kobe or LeBron type roles.

A goofy shooting stroke is likely why Chip was available in July

Perhaps on the last point. But a stronger reason may be that he didn't play AAU in summer of 2009.

Armelin had a reputation for being a good outside shooter throughout his HS career.

It is crazy that a team that loses Paul Carter and Damian Johnson is now going to be more athletic.

Freshmen/Newcomers:

Walker - the good: huge body, soft hands, good positional rebounder. The bad: he is slow. When stacked up against Colton and Ralph, those guys were more clearly able to beat him down the court nearly every time. I expect him to play some backup minutes this year, but behind Mbakwe, Colton and Ralph will be limited.

How is his quickness, I am not sure how important getting up and down the court is for a big man that ways 300 LBS, losing some weight will improve that anyway. How is his first couple of steps around the basket. That is what will define his success, if he is slow there he will struggle.

Maurice Walker is 18 years old. He shouldn't weigh 300lbs for multiple reasons. It will only make him a more effective player around the basket. He is going to have serious health problems and won't have a pro career if doesn't lose weight.

What should Big Mo's optimal playing weight be...275#? I would think that thru practice and conditioning drills that this would be easily attainable. I wouldn't mind a RS for Walker if we could afford it.

Freshmen/Newcomers:

Hollins - most impressive out of all from my perspective. Much more athletic than I expected, very fluid, smooth player. I can see why Tubby likes him; seems like a nice, quiet kid who plays hard. I expect him to be in the rotation all year long. Silky smooth

Armelin - I was intrigued by him based on earlier information. He is shorter than I thought (appeared to be just over 6 feet tall). Very athletic, quick and active on the offensive and defensive ends. However his shot mechanics are completely broken. It is a total knuckleball, and he has a kind of weird hitch when he gets ready to let it go. All in all he might play some this year, but I am not expecting much immediately. He looked shorter then listed to me as well, nice athlete, probably the one of the worst looking shots I've seen in a while

Walker - the good: huge body, soft hands, good positional rebounder. The bad: he is slow. When stacked up against Colton and Ralph, those guys were more clearly able to beat him down the court nearly every time. I expect him to play some backup minutes this year, but behind Mbakwe, Colton and Ralph will be limited. Huge man, moved better then I expected

Ahanmisi - didn't see much either way. Not overly athletic, not overly quick, not a great shooter, not overly solid with the ball, just seems like a guy that is going to be here 4 years and in his senior year will be a solid role player. Before that, I'm not expecting much. Gone after this season

Eliason - when my buddy and I saw warmups, we looked at this guy and said "uh oh", in reference to his seemingly gangly body, uncoordinated movements and general lack of fluidity in movement. However, when the scrimmage started, even though he looked out of place, he was int he right position most of the time, showed a good touch around the basket, held his own against Colton and Ralph, and generally looked okay out there. I would highly recommend a redshirt however considering the lack of minutes available.

Osenieks - appears to be a good shooter, somewhat athletic, and generally looks like a basketball player. Made a 3 in the scrimmage but other than that looked a little overmatched athletically. A year of practicing should make him better.

Mbakwe - man among boys. Gifted athletically like few people in the world. His strength, athleticism, and overall energy should make him our best player this year. I am very excited to see him in Big Ten play, I think he is the perfect Big Ten player. Rugged, athletic, mean streak, etc. He wasn't even trying very hard in the scrimmage, yet was everywhere, rebounds, blocked shots, etc.

Halvorson - athletic big man. Could be a solid role player in 2-3 years. Very strong and athletic. All true, but don't think he can shoot at all

Returners:

Hoff - same old Hoff. Love watching him shoot it, thing of beauty. Always in position in defense, gets rebounds you wouldn't expect him to get, not much off the dribble offensively. I'm glad he is on our team, and he should make a bunch of 3s again this year because of our strength in the frontcourt should command some collapsing defenses. Put the ball on the floor quite successfully, Ralph couldn't handle his pass. Had no reason to creat his own shot when he could just shoot over Mav's head (like playing against your little sister)

Devoe - natural scorer showed it last night. Wasn't playing hard but was our best offensive player by far. I'm thinking 15 points a game this year, all Big Ten 2nd team. I am a Devoe fan. Looked impressive, should be his break out year

Ralph - the big enigma. Didn't do much last night, but I expect some improvement over last year. Still does the fadeaway thing, which drives me nuts. Didn't look much stronger and didn't show much of anything

Colton - looked improved to me, showing the same activity level he did during the BTT last year. Looked much more fluid athletically than in past years. He is a HUGE body, and we are lucky to have him on our team. I wouldn't want to play down low against Colton, he's just big and strong.

Al - same old Al. Fits perfectly in Tubby's system. Defensively focused. Painful to watch him shoot it. I really like Al's game other than the shooting, so it will be good to have him back this year. Looked foolish trying to answer Devoe's buckets with his brick

Dawson - not much to say.

I attended the tip-off and then went out of town, was going to do a player break down as well, but you are pretty much spot on. Just added a little text in color.

Originally Posted by Juicer

Freshmen/Newcomers:

Armelin - I was intrigued by him based on earlier information. He is shorter than I thought (appeared to be just over 6 feet tall). Very athletic, quick and active on the offensive and defensive ends. However his shot mechanics are completely broken. It is a total knuckleball, and he has a kind of weird hitch when he gets ready to let it go. All in all he might play some this year, but I am not expecting much immediately.
His ball rotation wasn't good, I wouldn't say his shot was broken. It was only a scrimmage, but Tubby showed some frustration after an out of rhythm air-balled three pointer. Chip took it to the hoop right before or after that air-ball for a power slam and got stuffed badly from Mbakwe. It was one of those you're not in high school anymore type moments.

Also some nice photos from Golden Gopher Basketball on facebook: Hollins, Oto and Trevor.

71518_485823569178_108780634178_6810229_4469172_n.jpg

68375_485823289178_108780634178_6810223_5097667_n.jpg

73169_485823814178_108780634178_6810235_5088401_n.jpg

A few more here- http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1124.108780634178&pid=6810213&id=108780634178

Originally Posted by Juicer

Freshmen/Newcomers:

His ball rotation wasn't good, I wouldn't say his shot was broken. It was only a scrimmage, but Tubby showed some frustration after an out of rhythm air-balled three pointer. Chip took it to the hoop right before or after that air-ball for a power slam and got stuffed badly from Mbakwe. It was one of those you're not in high school anymore type moments.

Also some nice photos from Golden Gopher Basketball on facebook: Hollins, Oto and Trevor.

71518_485823569178_108780634178_6810229_4469172_n.jpg

68375_485823289178_108780634178_6810223_5097667_n.jpg

73169_485823814178_108780634178_6810235_5088401_n.jpg

A few more here- http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1124.108780634178&pid=6810213&id=108780634178

Those pics are much nicer than mine. I'm jealous.

Boone looked old as h*ll, Aaron Robinson was in there too. Good to see alumni back in the Barn.

Top Bottom