Thoughts about entering Beaver Stadium vs TCF

Taji34

Reaction score
I know this thread will be a sh*tshow but I had some thoughts about how Penn State handled folks getting into the game.

1. Each gate seemed equally busy. I don't know if this is because everyone was going to the gate that was listed on their ticket (which we do as well last time I checked?), but it is definitely something that doesn't always happen at TCF. How do we fix that? I don't know, but maybe having something that shows estimated wait times for each gate? Or just have a security person at each gate that directs people to other gates with shorter lines?

2. Magnetometers vs metal detectors. Beaver stadium had "magnetometers" vs metal detectors. Now I don't know if there is a actual difference between the two, but you didn't need to take anything out of your pockets, and most people were not stopped at all. I had a power bank in my pocket that did set it off because it had a lot more metal than a phone. But a quick explanation to the guard while taking it out of my pocket was all that was needed.

3. They had a LOT of ticket scanners. Also Penn State has ticket master handle their tickets, meaning they had the new ticket master scanners that scan either scan the ticket OR allow you to tap your phone if you had the ticket saved to your mobile wallet. They were also a LOT farther away from the detectors, so a slowdown at the ticket scanners did not immediately slow down people going through security. I think the combination of all three of these factors lead to people getting their tickets scanned a lot faster.

4. More defined security lanes. Most of the gates seemed to have very well defined lanes with the portable fencing. This lead to less bottlenecking right at security, and allowed folks to flow through the scanners faster.

What do I think TCF could do now that I've seen this?

1. Invest in these magnetometers that allow folks to not have to take everything out of their pockets.
2. Move the ticket scanners farther away from security and increase the number of them. Most entrances at TCF open directly into a staircase. We can put the ticket scanners right at the base of the stairs (and then one dedicated scanner at the elevators nearby for folks who need to use them), and move the detectors farther out from the entrance by at least feet. This could also allow us to place more detectors in a sort of blocky U shape pattern if desired.
3. Use more portable fences to direct fans more and move bottlenecks away from security and ticket scanning.
4. Think about changing ticket providers in the future. Ticketmaster has its faults, but those new ticket scanners are slick and I've used them 3 times in 3 separate events and they worked very smoothly each time. Contrary to TCF where sometimes the ticket scanner has trouble scanning the ticket on my phone and what should take 5 seconds turns into 30 seconds. Across 50,000 fans that adds up.

Other than the last item, these things are not hard to implement and would GREATLY improve the flow of fans during the peak of everyone entering.

Also Penn State seems to have a very similar bag policy to ours, but I did not see many Penn State fans with bags. I don't know if that changes when it gets colder. Since I didn't see anyone with bags, I don't know what the process at Penn State is for that. One noticeable difference is they do allow small purses/clutches that are not clear, which I don't think we do.

Just get to the stadium earlier and don't wait until 5 minutes before kickoff. I've never had issues getting into the stadium 30+ minutes before kickoff.
I mean, yes that is an individual solution, but it doesn't scale. It relies on the fact that many folks wait until the last minute. If everyone tried to get in then you'd have the same problem. Then the advice would be "get into the stadium 45+ minutes" then "get there an hour+" etc. Plus it also relies on folks either having gone to a game before, or to have someone tell them to arrive to the stadium that early. We shouldn't just leave new fans behind.

What I am observing is simply that there are ways that TCF can improve procedures to ease the congestion when that big rush does happen.

I mean, yes that is an individual solution, but it doesn't scale. It relies on the fact that many folks wait until the last minute. If everyone tried to get in then you'd have the same problem. Then the advice would be "get into the stadium 45+ minutes" then "get there an hour+" etc. Plus it also relies on folks either having gone to a game before, or to have someone tell them to arrive to the stadium that early. We shouldn't just leave new fans behind.

What I am observing is simply that there are ways that TCF can improve procedures to ease the congestion when that big rush does happen.
I think fan arrival time is a major contributor to slow stadium entering. I arrived to Beaver stadium 75 minutes before kick and the place was close to half full. Given it's capacity, that means that close to entirety of Bank's attendance was in their seat more than a hour before kick. The last half of the fan base was there by the 30 min to kick mark. This put about 50,000 people (and almost 100% of the students) entering from 2 hours to 75 minutes before kick (aprox. 1,111 per min) and the second half between 75 min and 30 min out, is also about 1,111 per min. If folks don't come to the Bank until 30 min out, we have to handle 1,800+ fans per min. That makes a huge difference.

Establishing some kind of draw before the game seems like the best solution.

Plus, waiting 10 minutes to get in when the game doesn't start for 30 minutes won't seem like long, but when it's 5 minutes to kick, it will seem like an eternity!

At the last Penn State game in MN i helped out some visitors who wanted to know what gate to use.

They noted that at Penn State you have to enter the gate on your ticket. How enforced that is I don’t know but at least some of their fans feel it is required.

That might explain a lot.

At the last Penn State game in MN i helped out some visitors who wanted to know what gate to use.

They noted that at Penn State you have to enter the gate on your ticket. How enforced that is I don’t know but at least some of their fans feel it is required.

This makes a lot of sense. We used our assigned gate in the early seasons of TCF but have even started using the Student Gate this season.

Would probably be painful the first season but once applied and understood, having folks enter at an assigned spot might improve things, even for late arrivers.

Just get to the stadium earlier and don't wait until 5 minutes before kickoff. I've never had issues getting into the stadium 30+ minutes before kickoff.
Please tell me where your secret door is located.

For a 51K stadium, entry has become a mysterious box of chocolates for me in recent years. I usually leave our lot a half hour before published kick off. I say “usually” because I will allow for more time if the game is a sell out.

The results? Sometimes I am in my seat in time for the ENTIRE band pregame show, team entry, etc. Other times, even with earlier arrival, I don’t get to my seat until the second series of the game.

For the Purdue game, my wife got through the bag line nearly 15 minutes faster than I did in the No bag line. I literally have no idea what to expect and just hope for the best.

I contrast these wildly different experiences with my visit to 110k Beaver Stadium this past Saturday. We arrived at prime time and walked into the stadium, and had our tickets scanned, with no more than a minute or two in line. The slow part was on us… advancing up the endless ramps in the mammoth stadium to get to our nosebleed seats.

I contrast these wildly different experiences with my visit to 110k Beaver Stadium this past Saturday. We arrived at prime time and walked into the stadium, and had our tickets scanned, with no more than a minute or two in line. The slow part was on us… advancing up the endless ramps in the mammoth stadium to get to our nosebleed seats.
The endless ramps sounds like Nebbie's stadium except for the new addition, which has escalators to get you to the top. Courtesy oxygen masks are tucked under each seat...

I was supposed to use Gate C at Beaver Stadium, but was able to enter through Gate F. I didn't know where Gate C was and just went to the closest one.

They are wrong. We were supposed to enter gate d and we entered gate c last Saturday.

If you get to the stadium 90 minutes before kickoff either.

11am kickoffs I am always coming in hot.

If you get your car onto campus 45 minutes you should be able to get into the ramp in a reasonable fashion. Hard to do when the u of m changes to the oak street ramp rules for people. All year you can get in without a pass until the Purdue game. So now you have a backlog of cars without a place to go. (I have a pass and I don’t think they should ever be let into oak street without a pass on game day)

But if you get to the stadium 20 minutes before kickoff you should be able to get in your seat before the end of the second drive. Perhaps this is my fault and I should’ve walked around to enter the stadium on the opposite side of my seat for the Purdue game .

My bad. My option is either be late or don’t go. If the u of m isn’t going to fix logistics eventually the solution will be don’t go.
7 home games…3 at 11am…if I can’t get in to see the whole game eventually I’ll decide to buy individual tickets to the 4 games I can get there 30 minutes before. And that’s fine. I’ll still be a fan. And if the best a major university can do is me getting to my seat at 11:15 when my car was 2 blocks from the ramp at 10:15…then it is what it is.

My bad. My option is either be late or don’t go. If the u of m isn’t going to fix logistics eventually the solution will be don’t go.
7 home games…3 at 11am…if I can’t get in to see the whole game eventually I’ll decide to buy individual tickets to the 4 games I can get there 30 minutes before. And that’s fine. I’ll still be a fan. And if the best a major university can do is me getting to my seat at 11:15 when my car was 2 blocks from the ramp at 10:15…then it is what it is.
I hear you. When I invite people (usually people that only go to maybe 1 game a year) and tell them we need to leave 1.5-2 hours before the game in order to be in our seats in time for kickoff they look at me like I'm nuts.

Not really for exactly the same reasons, but I don't go to many Wild games because I live on the complete opposite end of town and dealing with the rush hour traffic to get there makes it a major inconvenience. It could take me over an hour to get to Xcel if traffic is bad enough. There's a point where fans won't put up with the inconvenience. The difference with the Wild is there's nothing they can do about the traffic on 94, whereas the Gophers could probably do some things differently to expedite the process of getting to the game.

It's nice to know nothing changes. I recall relatives using this rebuttal when talking about getting into various games over time (Vikings in Met Stadium, North Stars, Fighting Saints, etc). The difference is that if they had to be screened they would have just sold their tickets and stayed home.

Last edited:

They are wrong. We were supposed to enter gate d and we entered gate c last Saturday.
I don't doubt it, but if they're mistaken and go to the right gate and most people are ... then that's how it works out.

Top Bottom