Those Pesky Boilermakers

HoustonTXGopher

Reaction score
I’m trying to put Saturday’s loss to the Boilermakers behind me while pondering what the rest of the football season might play out for our Gophers. I am reminded that over the past several years Purdue has upset teams they had no business beating:

2022 Purdue upsets #21 Minnesota

2021 Purdue upsets #2 Iowa
Purdue upsets #3 Michigan State

2020 Purdue defeats Iowa

2018. Purdue defeats #23 Boston College
Purdue upsets #2 Ohio State
Purdue upsets #19 Iowa

The Boilesr have had a pretty good run of defeating some really good teams in the past five years, unfortunately our Gophers were on the wrong side Saturday’s outcome, however if Ibrahim is healthy the rest of the year I think Minnesota will still figure out a way to win 9-10 regular season wins.

My Monday evening perspective is much better than my post loss perspective Saturday afternoon. I am picking up my oar and rowing towards a victory at Illinois.

Remember the good old days when PJ lived in Brohm's head?
I don't think PJ got the new house built soon enough...Brohm has already moved in the old one...

On the flip side things were getting one-sided so now we get motivation for next year...and beyond...

As for 2021, it was Iowa that had no business being ranked #2. I am a terrible prognosticator and even I called that one on that day.

That's why they call them the Spoilermakers.

As for 2021, it was Iowa that had no business being ranked #2. I am a terrible prognosticator and even I called that one on that day.
MSU as well. Neither of those teams had any business in the top 5 at any point last year. Still nice wins for Purdue over good teams, but they only beat top 5 teams on paper, those definitely were not top 5 teams in terms of talent.

I’m trying to put Saturday’s loss to the Boilermakers behind me while pondering what the rest of the football season might play out for our Gophers. I am reminded that over the past several years Purdue has upset teams they had no business beating:

2020 Purdue defeats Iowa

Purdue upsets #19 Iowa

The Boilesr have had a pretty good run of defeating some really good teams in the past five years, unfortunately our Gophers were on the wrong side Saturday’s outcome, however if Ibrahim is healthy the rest of the year I think Minnesota will still figure out a way to win 9-10 regular season wins.

My Monday evening perspective is much better than my post loss perspective Saturday afternoon. I am picking up my oar and rowing towards a victory at Illinois.
One thing that has annoyed me post Purdue is some trying to compare the loss on Saturday to the Bowling Green loss last year. They really couldn't be more different. We had no business losing to Bowling Green, on the flip side Purdue is a quality Big Ten team. The Illinois game from last year is a much better comparison than the BG loss.

2020 Purdue defeats Iowa

Purdue upsets #19 Iowa

Your post is a good reminder that we've had more recent success against Purdue than a number of good teams. But, for the overwhelming majority of teams, no string of success lasts indefinitely.

Top Bottom