Those Out There in the World Who STILL Think Our Pass Game is Terrible..

buddylee853

A Hopeless Optimist
Reaction score
Obviously hasn't heard about this:

•Minnesota quarterback Philip Nelson obviously has made some long strides since the beginning of the season, but he's really been on top during Minnesota's four-game winning streak. His 90.5 opponent-adjusted QBR ranks second-best in the FBS since Week 8, behind only Florida State's Jameis Winston (94.3). (He's a full point above Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel.)

http://www.espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/89849/big-ten-week-13-did-you-know

Hmmm......

Obviously hasn't heard about this:

•Minnesota quarterback Philip Nelson obviously has made some long strides since the beginning of the season, but he's really been on top during Minnesota's four-game winning streak. His 90.5 opponent-adjusted QBR ranks second-best in the FBS since Week 8, behind only Florida State's Jameis Winston (94.3). (He's a full point above Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel.)

http://www.espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/89849/big-ten-week-13-did-you-know

Hmmm......

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Let's hope the badger coaches are as ill informed and arrogant as their fans are.

QBR is an interesting stat because I am not sure how well anyone really understands everything that goes into it.

That being said Nelson has been very efficient during the winning streak and most important of all is his 7-0 TD to INT ratio. QBR aside our passing game still leaves a lot to be desired and I am not sure yet we can rely on it to win us a game against a good defense. Having said that we may very well find out tomorrow because Wisconsin is very good at run defense and we may have a hard time moving the ball on the ground against them.

Wisconsin is very good at run defense and we may have a hard time moving the ball on the ground against them.

All good points, but regarding this one above I'm very curious to find out (with their "crazy-difficult, I-can't-believe-they-survived-that OMGeeee" schedule) the quality of all the O-lines they've faced up against.

My honest opinion is that they're good, but a good number of their stats may be misleading due to the level of competition overall, as well as in some specific areas such as opposing O-line play.

All good points, but regarding this one above I'm very curious to find out (with their "crazy-difficult, I-can't-believe-they-survived-that OMGeeee" schedule) the quality of all the O-lines they've faced up against.

My honest opinion is that they're good, but a good number of their stats may be misleading due to the level of competition overall, as well as in some specific areas such as opposing O-line play.

You can look at defensive efficiency numbers which take all that and a bunch more into account. They're very, very good defensively.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei

Amen. I've already seen multiple Badger articles this week claiming Minnesota can't pass or struggles passing the ball. Just goes to show a lot of people haven't been paying attention. They just look at our passing yards per game and assume our QB can't pass and we're strictly a run only team.

Amen. I've already seen multiple Badger articles this week claiming Minnesota can't pass or struggles passing the ball. Just goes to show a lot of people haven't been paying attention. They just look at our passing yards per game and assume our QB can't pass and we're strictly a run only team.

Pretty safe to bet none were written by Becky coaches. They will be ready and it is going to be tough sledding for the Gophs.

You can look at defensive efficiency numbers which take all that and a bunch more into account. They're very, very good defensively.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei

Thanks for the link... still have some healthy skepticism though. I'm by far most suspect of their run defense, because aside from OSU and Iowa I don't think they've played against any O-line able to match up properly size and strength-wise against their D-line. Ours should match up to them much better, I'd think.

Do the Badgers have any weaknesses, you quisling?

Nice vocabulary, had to look up what quisling meant. I also resent you for it. Particularly because I'm married to a Jew.

I don't really resent you for it but rather the implication. It just strikes me as ironic that in a post that touts the fact that the opposition doesn't respect our passing game when the numbers say that they should we then go around saying their rush defense isn't any good when the numbers say otherwise. That is all.

Thanks for the link... still have some healthy skepticism though. I'm by far most suspect of their run defense, because aside from OSU and Iowa I don't think they've played against any O-line able to match up properly size and strength-wise against their D-line. Ours should match up to them much better, I'd think.

That's totally fair and I certainly hope you're right but you just have to know that those numbers that are presented weigh all of those factors into it to come up with an efficiency. Basically, the compile all the statistics of the offenses in the country, weigh them against the efficiency of the defensives they've played (again determined through the same method) to shoot out the total strength of the offenses played and push them up against what your team did against them. It's circular with obviously tons of moving parts but that complexity is what makes it valuable and less prone to anomolies.

Is it too late to put up "Nelson for Heisman" billboards like NW did for Persa?

Since Limegrover released the dogs, beginning with Michigan, our passing game has been very impressive. Granted, we remain a run first offense. Don't forget how many of those 4th down plays were passing plays and how many of them have worked.

It's true we'll miss Engle (apparently) but also let's recognize that in Dos Equis, we could have a 3 year 1st team All American. If Nelson had been throwing to him as his primary receiver all year his numbers would be scary.

I would not be surprised at all if we went into the game tomorrow and used the pass to set up the run. None of our opponents seem to believe we can actually put up a passing game. Plus, Nelson is just now getting comfortable and becoming accurate. He's missed quite a few open receivers and as this number shrinks we could have a very scary passing game.

That's totally fair and I certainly hope you're right but you just have to know that those numbers that are presented weigh all of those factors into it to come up with an efficiency. Basically, the compile all the statistics of the offenses in the country, weigh them against the efficiency of the defensives they've played (again determined through the same method) to shoot out the total strength of the offenses played and push them up against what your team did against them. It's circular with obviously tons of moving parts but that complexity is what makes it valuable and less prone to anomolies.

Yep, I know how it works, thank you very much. However, every statistical method has it's biases and flaws, so I'm not necessarily going to consider their stuff as God's word in predicting a game.

This weighting of theirs makes me skeptical because it ignores momentum and improvement or decline of a team over time:
"A team is rewarded for playing well against good teams, win or lose, and is punished more severely for playing poorly against bad teams than it is rewarded for playing well against bad teams"

Their work is pretty impressive, though.

We will be without 2 starters on the OL and our best WR...

Top Bottom