Those of you who think.......

gold04

Reaction score
Those of you who think the defense will be better next year are drinking a lot of kool-aid. The offense will definetly be better especially since we see Gray playing a lot more and Decker is out. Those of you who think our defense will be better should have been in the movie "Field of Dreams.

You just don't loose 9 starters and some key reserves and think we are going to be better. The guys behind the starters are talented but have very little experience. Next year our special teams will be awesome. I think our offense will be very good, but our D will be weak.

I've got some land to sell you in Antartica, if you think our D will be better next year.

Decker being out, I mean more experience for our recievers in preparing them for next year.

Also, everyone who thinks Marion Barber III and Lawrence Maroney are gonna walk through that tunnel on Saturday, I've got some news for you...they won't. I'm sorry. The Cowboys are in Seattle, and though the Patriots do have a bye week, Maroney lost his eligibility a few years back. Anyone who thinks I'm wrong is an idiot.

The defense probably won't be as good as this year, but I don't think they will be terrible either. And as you said, our offense should be better. Yes we lose Decker but our OL and RB play will be better.

Also, everyone who thinks Marion Barber III and Lawrence Maroney are gonna walk through that tunnel on Saturday, I've got some news for you...they won't. I'm sorry. The Cowboys are in Seattle, and though the Patriots do have a bye week, Maroney lost his eligibility a few years back. Anyone who thinks I'm wrong is an idiot.

But what if Dallas or Patriots has a Saturday game at the end of the season?

What's so great about our Defense this year? Have you looked at the Stats?

Again..this from the guy who couldn't stop singing the praises of the team and said predicted a 10-2 record earlier in the year and said we should be even better next year....

Looks like gold04 is crying out for attention again....I'm starting to think he and Studwell are the same guy.....

Cincy

I tend to agree, but Cincy lost 10 starters on D this year and is playing even better on that side of the ball. The odds aren't with us, but it's not a sure thing that the D will be worse.

What's so great about our Defense this year? Have you looked at the Stats?

Nothing, but it's better than anything we've had in awhile. Stats don't tell the whole story. Our bad offense has not helped.

How many defensive starters returned versus graduated from the 2007 to 2008 team? My guess is that a fair number did and that the 2008 team had a lot of new JUCO starters (Simmons & Brock) and underclassmen. The coaching of 2008's defense was pretty darn good. I migh be one of fe that think that our defense is coached very well 90% of the time this year (its just that the 10% which are bad schemes account for 90% of the opponents points). I think that another year under Lee/Cosgrove and an offense that can stay on the field a little longer will help make 2010 a better defensive year (statistically) than 2009 has been.

Defense this year

Stats do not do our defense this year any justice. They have been out on field way to long this whole season. If Mase had this defense in in his 10-3 season they would have gone undefeated. Our defense is not great but our offense has not helped them period.

Offense

a better offense would go a long way in solving some of bad numbers this year. the 3rd down issues are a concern, but i think stability in the coaching staff for a change should keep our defense reasonably close to the last 2 years.

I do agree with Rah, I think our defense has been coached better then then what people are will to give the D coaches credit for. I think Cosgrove and Lee have done a solid job this year.

I've said this before as well. For sure with this D we would have won the infamous SCum game in 2003. Don't discount the athletic talent we have in the pipeline, particularly the guys who've been redshirting. As that michigan game showed us, inexperienced and fast is preferred over experienced and slow. Speed kills! And this year's defense would have much better stats if they were only on the field for 30 minutes a game.

I've said this before as well. For sure with this D we would have won the infamous SCum game in 2003. Don't discount the athletic talent we have in the pipeline, particularly the guys who've been redshirting. As that michigan game showed us, inexperienced and fast is preferred over experienced and slow. Speed kills! And this year's defense would have much better stats if they were only on the field for 30 minutes a game.

Damn right. I don't know if the D is going to be better next year, that is why they play the games. But we will certainly be faster especially on the line and at LB. And personally that is something that excites me and gives me hope looking ahead.

Our defense next year will be MORE talented than this years. Experience takes a hit but the pure talent will be an upgrade. I'm to lazy to look it up myself but the average star rating for starters on defense will be higher than this years starters. Cooper, Reeves, Maresh, Carter, Kirksey, Edwards, Jacobs, Willhite, etc. I love the potential.

Damn right. I don't know if the D is going to be better next year, that is why they play the games. But we will certainly be faster especially on the line and at LB. And personally that is something that excites me and gives me hope looking ahead.

I would add why things won't drop off as much next year - A (co) DC that will be the same two years in a row.

Statistics show that talent in college football far outweighs experience. You can either play or you can't. I think we'll be fine at D line and LB. My concern is in the secondary.

I agree that the secondary will determine how the defense rates next year.
Royston and Theret return at safety along with Dandridge and Rallis. Carter
will also be back at one corner. Lewis and Watkins should get a great opportunity
to step up next season and will need to. Collado will also return.

The D-Line will be stocked with size and quickness.
Kirksey, Edwards and Jacobs got much experience this season and will continue to.
Hageman looks like he will be ready to take his spot on the line next season as well.
Wilhite, Jacques, KGM and Searcy will also see time and provide depth next season.

The fight for playing time will be interesting to watch play out at LB.
Maresh, Cooper, Reeves, Tinsley, Singleton and Grant will provide great speed and
size next season. It's a good thing Tinsley and Cooper are getting some PT this season
because this will be a young group of players next season. I think Maresh will be the key
in keeping this group from falling off from this season's group of starters.

Ellestad and Orseske also will return and they have shown they can do a great job kicking
and punting.

Brewster needs to keep the staff together and if that happens, this team could be really good
beginning next season.

Iowa, Wisconsin, OSU, Michigan, MSU AND PSU all have young teams as well and you can bet their head coaches will be keeping their staffs together.

I agree that the secondary will determine how the defense rates next year.
Royston and Theret return at safety along with Dandridge and Rallis. Carter
will also be back at one corner. Lewis and Watkins should get a great opportunity
to step up next season and will need to. Collado will also return.

The D-Line will be stocked with size and quickness.
Kirksey, Edwards and Jacobs got much experience this season and will continue to.
Hageman looks like he will be ready to take his spot on the line next season as well.
Wilhite, Jacques, KGM and Searcy will also see time and provide depth next season.

The fight for playing time will be interesting to watch play out at LB.
Maresh, Cooper, Reeves, Tinsley, Singleton and Grant will provide great speed and
size next season. It's a good thing Tinsley and Cooper are getting some PT this season
because this will be a young group of players next season. I think Maresh will be the key
in keeping this group from falling off from this season's group of starters.

Ellestad and Orseske also will return and they have shown they can do a great job kicking
and punting.

Brewster needs to keep the staff together and if that happens, this team could be really good
beginning next season.

Iowa, Wisconsin, OSU, Michigan, MSU AND PSU all have young teams as well and you can bet their head coaches will be keeping their staffs together.

Don't forget Hageman, Rengel, and possibly a few of our true freshman next year being impact players as well.

Statistics show that talent in college football far outweighs experience. You can either play or you can't. I think we'll be fine at D line and LB. My concern is in the secondary.

Then why aren't the more talented guys playing?

It's really about line play. If you have a good d-line that is getting pressure on the QB, you will have at least a solid defense. I think we have guys in the wings who have POTENTIAL to wreak havoc on the line. If that happens, our defense will get better as the years go on. If it doesn't, well, that could be an issue. I like our chances though, I have to say. Cornerback is a concern, but I think a great D-line can help compensate for that. Just like a better offensive line will help the overall offense, and as has been noted, a better offense will help the defense as well as they won't have to be on the field as much.

Then why aren't the more talented guys playing?

Because talented players still, you know, grow and stuff when they're 18 years old. It's a big part of why seniors are, by in large, better than freshmen. And why the term 'redshirt' exists.

Also, the difference between high school and Big Ten football tends to be fairly large. So the kids, like, learn things, on top of getting bigger. Get it??

I know football is kind of complicated, but this isn't rocket science, people.

I think one thing that gets over looked that will keep the D from stepping back as they transition is probably the one thing we hate about our D. The soft bend don't break scheme Cos employs. It's a dumbed down system meant to minimize our deficiencies, able to morph into more aggression with more talent. I think a great offense could rip it apart but there just aren't many of those around, and we may only see one next year. So to summarize I don't think we step back much. Our biggest hope is with the offense improving.

Our D line will be much better. Our Safeties should improve. Our corners will probably be a little worse. Our LBs is an unknown but assume we drop off a bit. Hard to say that it's a slam dunk that we'll be worse. I don't think we lose much with Brown, Moen, and Lawrence graduating. We're gonna need some redshirt frosh to play well though, that's for sure.

Those of you who think the defense will be better next year are drinking a lot of kool-aid. The offense will definetly be better especially since we see Gray playing a lot more and Decker is out. Those of you who think our defense will be better should have been in the movie "Field of Dreams.

You just don't loose 9 starters and some key reserves and think we are going to be better. The guys behind the starters are talented but have very little experience. Next year our special teams will be awesome. I think our offense will be very good, but our D will be weak.

I've got some land to sell you in Antartica, if you think our D will be better next year.

the kool aide im drinking is called strength size and speed...... next year the d line will be stocked with guys with size with another year in the weight room with running back speed with nasty attitudes who believe in the coaching staff and each other a tight knit group who are morphing from feisty young puppies to mean snarling dogs who work hard and know they are good with an all for one and one for all attitude....so yeah im drinking maroon and gold kool aide and every body talking about next year... we going to a bowl this year

the kool aide im drinking is called strength size and speed...... next year the d line will be stocked with guys with size with another year in the weight room with running back speed with nasty attitudes who believe in the coaching staff and each other a tight knit group who are morphing from feisty young puppies to mean snarling dogs who work hard and know they are good with an all for one and one for all attitude....so yeah im drinking maroon and gold kool aide and every body talking about next year... we going to a bowl this year

The more I read this guy, the more I like him and the more I'm a fan of the Gophers. Any progeny of this guy is a guy I want representing my favorite team. :clap:

let me make it clear

I've got some land to sell you in Antartica, if you think our D will be better next year.[/QUOTE

when deciding on a school we had an official visit to Minnesota...at that visit there were about 12 recruits there from various parts of the country.... they all bonded and talked about how great it would be to come to Minnesota and go down in history as the class that would be known for putting gopher football back on the map.... when we came back home those young men talked on face book and if anybody paid any attention a large group gave a verbal commitment in the same two week window.. they discussed as a group that they would get it done in the class room as well as on the field they immediately became a top 20 recruiting class by all the ranking services... they came to the u and went to class got involved in the community became scholar athletes with high G.P.As .. every sprint they run every weight they lift and their entire conduct is predicated on becoming that famous class of gophers... they are mean, they have a goal and they don't take no crap.. from nobody and they together came up with a set of standards that they adhere to so when i read crap about how the team is going to worse next year.. put your money where your mouth is... we could have chosen any school in the nation but we choose to be gophers for a reason....so for those long suffering fans get ready to enjoy the ride... and for those who accuse me and others of drinking kool aide...... ask your selves why are you drunk on hater aide.......

Gopher props

I hope your right! I hope our defense is number 1 in the nation next year. I hope we go undefeated. If you guys prove me wrong that would certianly bring a smile to my face. It's just that every year people talk about how much better the young guys are then the out going starters on defense and we never see an improvement. I hope next year we see a huge improvement. At the sametime you have to be a realist. On defense next year we are going to struggle, but I would have no problems whatsoever if you guys proved me wrong!

and for those who accuse me and others of drinking kool aide...... ask your selves why are you drunk on hater aide.......

Hater-aid is cheaper and takes less effort to get. Why would Debbie Downers want to put effort into anything?

The defense should take a hit next year, but that doesn't mean it will end up being worse at the end of the season. Players sometimes step up quicker than expected.

Sports have the amazing knack for not being logical at times. Example: The Twins lost their best power hitter and much of their starting staff and look what happened with that?

Top Bottom