Thomas to Long Beach State

What exactly happened with Thomas? I remember reading that he really wanted to play here, but there were questions about whether or not he would qualify due to academics. I know it's early, but this class is not looking too good and Thomas is a pretty solid in-state player who can shoot, which is something we've been missing. It's going to be pretty upsetting if he does really well there and we didn't get him for whatever reason.

This is a total guess but I'm guessing right now he wouldn't qualify to get into any major college but can get into smaller colleges like LBS. I think he committed so he had a scholarship with a Division I team. However, if he does get his grades up and Minnesota offers him a scholarship I would think he changes his commitment pretty quickly.

The (NCAA) qualifying standards for all D-I schools -- regardless of school size -- are the same. However, smaller schools such as LBSU need to take more chances on at-risk student-athletes if they want to compete with the big boys.

This is a total guess but I'm guessing right now he wouldn't qualify to get into any major college but can get into smaller colleges like LBS. I think he committed so he had a scholarship with a Division I team. However, if he does get his grades up and Minnesota offers him a scholarship I would think he changes his commitment pretty quickly.

Both Lute Olson and Jerry Tarkanian coached at LBS (way back when). Both have said it was tougher to get kids into school there (as part of Calif State university system) than other schools like UNLV or Arizona.

that's interesting because most of the true Californians i have met didnt seem too bright to me. most couldnt even tell me where Minnesota was located or what city their state capital was in

I doubt it was that hard to get them into the State system in California.

Jacob is going to have problems getting into any school and I'm sure Monson and LBS know this, but I guess its worth a gamble. Nobody thought Rodney had any chance to qualify although I've heard Jacob's situation is worse. The smart money is still on a juco.

that's interesting because most of the true Californians i have met didnt seem too bright to me. most couldnt even tell me where Minnesota was located or what city their state capital was in

Any Californian can tell you that Minnesota is "back east".

I doubt it was that hard to get them into the State system in California.

My kid graduated in 08 from one of the California State U schools. (Humboldt State). She had a fabulous experience and I feel we got a great deal for the money. I tried to interest her in U of M but it is hard to pass on the Ocean and the Redwoods. FWIW her friend failed to get into HSU and went to Minnesota instead.

I went to high school and college in California so I know the systems very well. I went to the University of California system. There are two main systems.. State colleges and University of California system. Traditionally, the state college, while fine schools were easier to get into than the latter. I got into Humboldt and University of Minnesota but opted for University of California at Davis.

Humboldt is a great science school..especially forestry, fisheries and wildlife management. Its also a great place to get a contact high.

FOT.. LB State is not harder to get into than Arizona. You are wrong.

I think it has more to do with him being offered a scholarship than anything else. I'm sure he's heard from many coaches and scouts over the past 2yrs or so. He mentioned "I wanna be a Gopher" to entice the Gopher staff into offering him a scholarship. When u factor in all of that, plus the beautiful days in California, not to mention being able to go to the beach year round. Here in MN, he gets 6mos of winter, I can see why he VERBALLY committed.

The entrance exam for the University of Arizona consists of finding the front door.

(For ASU, you just have to point toward it.)

LB State is one of the better state schools in California. If you are a CA student..its not too hard to get in..if you are not its tougher. For an out of state kid..its probably on par with AZ or even tougher but for the CA kids..its not hard to get in at all.

That said..its a great great location. I don't know many folks that didn't have a good time at LB State.

Top Bottom