Thomas Rush, Flip Dixon

Michael Dixon's hit in the sconnie game got my juices flowing..

Grew my mustache as a senior in HS and it has never been shaved since. Have been bearded since first quarter freshman year in college, and although shaved and trimmed since then, having a mustache/beard has been my look my whole adult life. In the 70s into the 80s my look was the exception and not the rule for non-hippies.

Fast forward to today and have to admit that the increasing embrace of facial hair over time has been fine with me. Fact is each person's face is unique in where a mustache, burns, or beard grows, and along with texture and thickness, it changes over one's life. Live long enough and gray starts to move in that alters the look too.

When they are ready to take the plunge to have facial hair, I encourage youngsters to go full-tilt and let the entire face go to see what nature has dealt you. Interestingly, just because hair doesn't come up on one's chin at the start doesn't mean it won't eventually. Back in the day the common refrain was "I can't grow a beard" but more often than not there was not enough patience to see what you could grow...and once that was known...figure out what looked good on you. That's where I give the current generation credit...there are some fine looks out there with what nature has provided.

As for Purdue's QB, he would benefit from a goatee to go with the stache. What he's showing really looks like very early growth, but would have had the girls swooning in Errol Flynn's day. We've had the chance to watch Tanner's look mature, and it was pretty sparse at the start but looking good for a married man.

As for facial hair and a future significant other, it's much better to have the facial hair when you meet that special one than adding it later. If you decide to shave it and they like it that way better, it's much easier to say "I had a beard when you met me" if you want it back than adding one after the fact. Many a man is relegated to a beard in hunting season only because their special one doesn't like it otherwise.

Grew my mustache as a senior in HS and it has never been shaved since. Have been bearded since first quarter freshman year in college, and although shaved and trimmed since then, having a mustache/beard has been my look my whole adult life. In the 70s into the 80s my look was the exception and not the rule for non-hippies.

Fast forward to today and have to admit that the increasing embrace of facial hair over time has been fine with me. Fact is each person's face is unique in where a mustache, burns, or beard grows, and along with texture and thickness, it changes over one's life. Live long enough and gray starts to move in that alters the look too.

When they are ready to take the plunge to have facial hair, I encourage youngsters to go full-tilt and let the entire face go to see what nature has dealt you. Interestingly, just because hair doesn't come up on one's chin at the start doesn't mean it won't eventually. Back in the day the common refrain was "I can't grow a beard" but more often than not there was not enough patience to see what you could grow...and once that was known...figure out what looked good on you. That's where I give the current generation credit...there are some fine looks out there with what nature has provided.

As for Purdue's QB, he would benefit from a goatee to go with the stache. What he's showing really looks like very early growth, but would have had the girls swooning in Errol Flynn's day. We've had the chance to watch Tanner's look mature, and it was pretty sparse at the start but looking good for a married man.

As for facial hair and a future significant other, it's much better to have the facial hair when you meet that special one than adding it later. If you decide to shave it and they like it that way better, it's much easier to say "I had a beard when you met me" if you want it back than adding one after the fact. Many a man is relegated to a beard in hunting season only because their special one doesn't like it otherwise.
It’s the thought put into this post for me.

Top Bottom