This will be a good team.

it's really hard to say.

Offense: Tanner went through some progressions and we seem to have a good line and WRs. we should have a line that can bulldoze a chunk of the league. Iowa and WI will be battles in the trenches
Defense: we match up horridly versus OSU (as most teams do). we won't see that team speed again and our LBs and DBs will match up better athlete wise the rest of the year. There's a reason most of OSUs skill position guys plan in the league. We will have better days against teams that move less laterally (the same as we saw as the year went on last year).
ST: we seem to have taken a big leap forward this year (thank god).

Agree with many of the posters assessments, but this team is going to be a few breaks either way from 7-5 and 10-2 type seasons. Have to hope we get and stay healthy.

Really? Which of our upcoming opponents will be tougher than Ohio State? I'm really intrigued by this one!
The fact that we have not beaten Iowa on the road since 1999 and have beat Wisconsin once at home since 2003 is lost on you I guess....Indiana's offense and QB is as dynamic and explosive as Ohio State's...Indiana had them beat last year.

I think the offense will be fine. The defense worries me. I think we can still win 8 or 9 games.
I'm with ya....maybe not the West, but no reason they can't be 7-5 or 8-4 & possibly get that 9th win.

The fact that we have not beaten Iowa on the road since 1999 and have beat Wisconsin once at home since 2003 is lost on you I guess....In diana's offense and QB is as dynamic and explosive as Ohio State's...Indiana had them beat last year.

So you're saying Iowa, Wisconsin and Indiana will be tougher than Ohio State?

No one saying they'll be easy, you seem ready to throw in the towel already
Did I say that?...If you know the recent historical record of these two matchups it's hard to be positive?...Would you not agree?

Did I say that?...If you know the recent historical record of these two matchups it's hard to be positive?...Would you not agree?
If you only have a negative outlook on life, it's hard to be positive...Would you not agree?

I'm excited to see how it plays out. Not going to press panic after losing one game.
If it's hard to be positive some should probably consider a change. Regardless I agree with you salz that I'll be happily watching how this team goes.

My biggest concern going into the season and opening with OSU is that through the first 4 years, Fleck's teams have always started slow and steadily improve through the rest of the season. If this year follows the same pattern and last night was an indication of the worst the team will play all season, we'll be playing OSU again for the B1G championship. The defense needs work, but it was even worse last year yet still ended the year strong. So, get the D worked out and this can still be a very special season - Mo or no Mo.

The fact that we have not beaten Iowa on the road since 1999 and have beat Wisconsin once at home since 2003 is lost on you I guess....Indiana's offense and QB is as dynamic and explosive as Ohio State's...Indiana had them beat last year.
Indiana never had them beat. That’s just flat wrong, they had one possession after the first quarter with a chance to tie,

If Indiana had them beat last year, we better count last night as a win

Indiana never had them beat. That’s just flat wrong, they had one possession after the first quarter with a chance to tie,

If Indiana had them beat last year, we better count last night as a win
They lost by 7 on the road to a better Ohio State team than this year.

I'm not positive, but I'll take a wild guess that there are a few MN sports fans on this forum. I'm thankful that most are not as negative as you.
30 years without a professional championship is nothing but positive.

To the folks who are pointing out all of the deficiencies in Minnesota's defense:

What did you think of Ohio State's defense?

The Buckeyes gave up 31 points, while Minnesota's defense gave up 38. The Ohio State defense allowed 24 first downs, 400+ offensive yards, and they let Minnesota control the ball for over 38 minutes in the game.

Is Ohio State doomed as well?

And I'll repeat my previous question: which team on the Gophers' remaining schedule is as good as Ohio State?
Just have to prevent the big plays.

Okay, they are up 21 -17 and moving the ball near mid field and then bam, two penalties put the Gophers back to their 17. That was the turning point and that can be fixed.

Last edited:

30 years without a professional championship is nothing but positive.

Well, hey... if it is making you unhappy maybe you need a new hobby.

I prefer to see the future as a bright one; I can't see any advantage in allowing myself to wallow in all that "years and years of Minnesota losing" stuff. It seems like a pathetic worldview and a miserable way to spend my time as a fan.

When I think back on my years as a Minnesota sports fan, I remember a lot of bright moments. And, yes, I'm aware it has been a long time since we won a real championship around here. But if you're only going to be happy when your team actually wins the title then you're going to be an unhappy person most years, no matter who you root for.

Did you find any joy in the Gophers 2019 season? After all, they did not win a title that year.

In our 11-2 (#10 at end of season) year in 2019 we almost lost to Fresno and SDSU early in the year.
Obviously we have things to work on, but most teams do early in the year.

Regarding the bolded, EXACTLY!!!!

In fact, Bryce Williams scored with 5:31 remaining in the game, and that made the score 38-31. People, we were in this game to very near the end. We led at halftime! Without Autman-Bell for the whole game, and without Mo during crunch time at the close.

Minnesota had 24 first downs to OSU's 17. We had a big edge in TOP, 38:41 to 21:19.

If I had told you before that game that the Gophers would finish with 205 yards passing and 203 yards rushing, that they'd score 31 points, that they would be ahead at halftime and within a TD with 5:31 remaining in the game, would you have been all depressed about it?

Hold off on the gloom and doom, please. I know it's just the way we Scandanavian types roll, but... c'mon.

We played an elite team, the very best in the B1G, to a near standstill. We gave 'em all they could handle. So, here's a question: which team on the Gopher's remaining schedule is close to as good as Ohio State?
Good points, especially that were were in that game with 5m left, which is very true.

In our 11-2 (#10 at end of season) year in 2019 we almost lost to Fresno and SDSU early in the year.
Obviously we have things to work on, but most teams do early in the year.

We almost lost to Georgia Southern too.

Top Bottom