This was our big chance for a big season - and it's gone.

Yep, agree. Got the facilities in place, and the HC the AD wanted. Without consistently putting together a string 8+ win regular seasons, recruiting will not improve, and will most likely settle back. That's what it takes to move the needle to the next level here.
If they win Saturday this will be third straight full season with 8+ wins in the regular season.

You're right, that big play to #85 to set up the game winning kick was absolutely meaningless.

Good god man, stop acting like a clown.

Rossi and the defense did a fine job ... except on a few critical plays where they absolutely failed.

Don't get me wrong, the loss is 75% on the offense, 10% on the kicker, or something around there.
Thanks for cutting off my quote jackass its says who cares about big plays if they don't score points

Pretty sure the mob would not part with money already laundered, just saying. It would be a creative way to launder it though. Maybe Fleck's niche in NIL?
800px-Fat_Tony_pointing.png

Still can’t excuse Rossi for NOT covering the one guy on Iowa who has 85% of their receiving yards. That is game planning - that is coaching.
If you watch the play, both linerbackers get sucked up by the play-action and the LB goes right around and behind them into the wide-open middle of the field for an easy pitch and catch.

Yes, and said sports are competing for disposable income with many other entertainment options. If a consistently good product is not put on the field, people will vote with their wallets.

In addition, and I've said this many times... It's big time entertainment and a big time business. I personally do not care if PJ and company empty the prisons, pay the team with hookers and blow and bags of laundered mob money if the team wins.
6rzx1p.png

This is a developmental program. We develop players at all positions. If it is impossible to develop WRs (I personally disagree, and believe it is very possible), then our ceiling for wins each year is 6-8 and we should be ecstatic if we there without capable WRs. In NIL times, any full-fledged, ready-to-start in the B1G WR we get will be a gift, a black swan. We can’t just expect them to come here. So we have to develop the 4-5 wideouts we expect to play each year. Just how it is. No coach we can get can change that.
Fully agree.

I'm saying like this:

don't we often hear from coaches/commentators about how, for any particular position, things like "when you look at what he does there .... some things you just can't teach".

You can teach blocking technique, route trees, practice proper ways to run routes, practice how to recognize coverages and how to react to the way a DB plays you.

But I'm just wondering what the instinctual or intangible things are at the WR position that you just can't teach.

Quick question -- because I honestly don't know.

Is it even possible to "develop" someone to get open? And to catch the ball?

Definitely develop blocking. Route running. Learning the playbook and making adjustments based on what options you have and what the coverage is, how the CB is playing you, etc. Decision making.
Route running is how you get open.

Are you saying our guys ... what? Run the wrong routes? Run the routes really poorly? Don't have the physical ability to run those routes?

What is going wrong? And why aren't they practicing it?

On paper, the Gophers are a better team. They can beat Wisconsin if the coaches open the offense up a bit, while still using Mo as a battering ram. The team has to be up for the game, because the Badgers will be.
On paper we are not a better team. On paper and on film we have one offensive weapon we trust.

Are you saying our guys ... what? Run the wrong routes? Run the routes really poorly? Don't have the physical ability to run those routes?

What is going wrong? And why aren't they practicing it?
One of those or a combination.

So far 2019, 2021, and 2022 have been our "only chance" to do something big. Hopefully we get a few more last chances.

They bit on play-action and abandoned the middle of the field zone.

Maybe it was a missed assignment, one of the LB was supposed to be on their RB, one was suppose to drop with the TE, and they mixed up who was who? We'll never know

So far 2019, 2021, and 2022 have been our "only chance" to do something big. Hopefully we get a few more last chances.
USC and UCLA join the conference and divisions disappear in 2024. We realistically have one last last chance, and that’s next year. I don’t feel good about our chances.

USC and UCLA join the conference and divisions disappear in 2024. We realistically have one last last chance, and that’s next year. I don’t feel good about our chances.
Iowa did it this year with Michigan and Ohio State on their schedule, and an awful offense.

That's my one shred of hope I'm going to cling to for next year.

But they did also have a great defense.

Fully agree.

I'm saying like this:

don't we often hear from coaches/commentators about how, for any particular position, things like "when you look at what he does there .... some things you just can't teach".

You can teach blocking technique, route trees, practice proper ways to run routes, practice how to recognize coverages and how to react to the way a DB plays you.

But I'm just wondering what the instinctual or intangible things are at the WR position that you just can't teach.
I think there are instinctual things for WRs, like automatically climbing the ladder to high point throws (Tyler Johnson). Can be taught, theoretically, but in the heat of battle a player reverts to his natural instincts. I believe that through repetition and study, players can be taught to make a practice effectively instinctual. Same for RBs. Much can be taught, but the acuity of Mo’s vision to see and react to a momentarily opening crease, for instance, is a gift. The thing is, we don’t get guys with these gifts once the guy has been widely recognize as having the gift (and some complementary skill and gifts). PJ and staff have to dig deeper to find guys who exhibit the potential, not yet fully realized, of such gifts. We get some of those guys here and try to develop and bring out that gift. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. That’s my my view/opinion, anyway.

I think there are instinctual things for WRs, like automatically climbing the ladder to high point throws (Tyler Johnson). Can be taught, theoretically, but in the heat of battle a player reverts to his natural instincts. I believe that through repetition and study, players can be taught to make a practice effectively instinctual. Same for RBs. Much can be taught, but the acuity of Mo’s vision to see and react to a momentarily opening crease, for instance, is a gift. The thing is, we don’t get guys with these gifts once the guy has been widely recognize as having the gift (and some complementary skill and gifts). PJ and staff have to dig deeper to find guys who exhibit the potential, not yet fully realized, of such gifts. We get some of those guys here and try to develop and bring out that gift. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. That’s my my view/opinion, anyway.
I think you've nailed it.

How were we able to land Bateman and TJ, but have struck out so badly on so many?

Maybe Dan Jackson and Brockington will pick things up to a new level next year. Hopefully D Wright, and others as well.

I think you've nailed it.

How were we able to land Bateman and TJ, but have struck out so badly on so many?

Maybe Dan Jackson and Brockington will pick things up to a new level next year. Hopefully D Wright, and others as well.
CAB will be back too. I don’t think we’ve struck out so badly on so many, I mean not every wr you bring in is going to be an NFLer.

CAB will be back too. I don’t think we’ve struck out so badly on so many, I mean not every wr you bring in is going to be an NFLer.
Sure, but the pass game this year was terrible. That can't be due to a single guy.

Fully admit there is room between "so many" and "more than a single guy". So maybe I am still wrong, but feels like a lot of misses after Bateman/TJ/CAB.

When they get rid of the divisions or redo them in a year, you may look at those 3 years as our only chance. That's what sucks.

This season was a wash when CRAB went down. Everyone said with Kirk C. back, that we would be fine. Crab laying on the ground was the end of a chance to win the west.

We beat Iowa and Purdue with CRAB. It's too bad, but it is football.

This season was a wash when CRAB went down. Everyone said with Kirk C. back, that we would be fine. Crab laying on the ground was the end of a chance to win the west.

We beat Iowa and Purdue with CRAB. It's too bad, but it is football.
Possibly even Illinois.

Top Bottom