This was another really nice road win!!!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Down 7 in the second half on the road and we tightened the D big time. FTs were a mess, but a we found a way to gut out a big road win vs a solid team who could be on the bubble. Collins has had the better of the matchups vs Pitino, so this was great to get the W.

Very impressed with our road composure.

I hope the Barn is ROCKING on Sunday night...and I mean ROCKING!!!!!!!!!

Go Gophers!!

Down 7 in the second half on the road and we tightened the D big time. FTs were a mess, but a we found a way to gut out a big road win vs a solid team who could be on the bubble. Collins has had the better of the matchups vs Pitino, so this was great to get the W.

Very impressed with our road composure.

I hope the Barn is ROCKING on Sunday night...and I mean ROCKING!!!!!!!!!

Go Gophers!!

I'll be there. Fully pre-gamed!

Yes, another win with different people shining - including that 3 from Hurt. Great to see Coffey rediscovering his scoring potential (now if he would just rediscover his free throw shot...!)

Looking forward to an intense night on Sunday!

Huge win especially when Mason and McBrayer had off nights. Whenever someone is down someone else steps up. It was Coffey tonight.

Yes, another win with different people shining - including that 3 from Hurt. Great to see Coffey rediscovering his scoring potential (now if he would just rediscover his free throw shot...!)

Looking forward to an intense night on Sunday!

Will be there and they are having a fun 1/2 time. Go Gophers !

The 3 conference opponents are also 5-1 in their conference games not against us. 2 of Gophs 3 games on the road. MSU second half definitely hurt, but man, it's still been a good conference start.

Yep.....Cats had won 13 in a row at Eden Prairie Arena. One thing though. Murphy has to bring it every night.

That was a fantastic road win. This team has guts that we haven't seen in previous years.

Now let's go get a home win and set up a rematch against Michigan State.

I think Lynch had only 3 fouls. Does that mean he carries two extra into the next game? Seriously, his first two fouls this game were total bonehead fouls - reach ins after the other guy got the rebound and had clear possession. At least save those fouls for intimidating the guys driving to the basket by stuffing it down their throat.

Man this is going to be a fun year! The barn is going to be bananas Sunday!

Gophers didn't play great and won. Coffey was really good, Lynch was good. No one else played a good or great game (unless Masons free throws put him in that category) but they won. Never happens the past few years.

Ugly, sloppy game. That the Gophers won, on the road. Love it

It was a nice one. Is it time to start analyzing the schedule and thinking about how we made out with which teams we have to play twice?

Coffey stood up as a man in this game. He's going to be fun to watch him get better. Mason was a dud all night and then canned a ton of free throws at the end to help us win. Good win...

We won 2 conference games all last season. We've already equaled that after 3 games and both have come on the road. This is the start of a new dawn of Golden Gopher basketball.

Kenpom up to 34 and also added an extra win to our projections. Has us going 23-8 and 11-7 in big ten

That was a hell of a win! How much fun is this...seriously? I thought we really got the short end of the stick from the officiating which forced us to change the way we like to play on offense. Neither Dupree nor Nate could buy a call all night, so their drives were less effective. The key to the entire game for me was how well this team played defensively in the second half. How many times was Northwestern down under 5 seconds before they were even able to get a shot up? Just night and day from early in the first half. If not for a couple of very fortunate bounces and a terrible call when McIntosh drove in three guys, we likely put that away a bit earlier. One major difference between how we defended Northwestern this year compared to last year (when they destroyed us) is that we were able to switch all screens and not create huge mismatches. I'd like to point out Eric Curry switching on smaller players and contrast that to if Joey King had to do that last year.

Individual accolades for me: Amir Coffey was fantastic early and made plays at a couple stages in the game where we looked a little lost offensively and he just created something himself. Bakary Konate gave us great minutes in the first half, rebounding everything, doing much better on pick and roll defense than last year, and finishing a couple of dunks. How about Michael Hurts big three? I was thinking while he was in the game "This might be the weakness of this team, there's 7 minutes left in a two score game on the road and we've got to put in an unproven freshman"...and then he buries the three! Even though Nate Mason was off scoring, he was extremely composed with the ball and made good decisions.

Concerns: Obviously the free throw shooting has to be better. There should be a stat that includes the 2nd FT of one and ones, because the FT% itself doesn't tell the whole story. I HATED the end of the first half. We were down 2 on the road and had the clear opportunity to take the last shot of the half. There's no way we shoud be going in to the half down more than 2. Dupree takes a three (he was wide open) with like 9 -10 seconds left and Northwestern gets the rebound and goes down and gets a transition layup at the buzzer for a two score lead and all the momentum. It was bizarre because it seemed like the Gophers were aware of the situation and were intending to take the last shot. I was also concerned with Dupree's shot in this game it was very clear in the second half that it didn't feel right to him, he didn't have confidence and that the ball was not going to go in. Kimani came out and slapped him on the ass at a timeout because you could tell Dupree was in his own head. Hopefully a home game will remedy that situation. Finally, it's a lot to ask of a freshman, but man Amir really needed to pull that ball out with like a minute to go and a 5 point lead. I understand trying to take advantage of a 2 on 1 situation, but we had a chance to get the clock down to about 30 seconds there. Unfortunately they then fouled Amir and he had to wait at the line for like 3 minutes to shoot the front end of a one and one.

Gophers didn't play great and won. Coffey was really good, Lynch was good. No one else played a good or great game (unless Masons free throws put him in that category) but they won. Never happens the past few years.

Ugly, sloppy game. That the Gophers won, on the road. Love it
Sloppy? The two teams combined for 17 TOs. We had 16 assists on 25 baskets.

Nice to see Hurt hit the key shot. Springs was solid as was Lynch until those last few minutes.

That was a hell of a win! How much fun is this...seriously? I thought we really got the short end of the stick from the officiating which forced us to change the way we like to play on offense. Neither Dupree nor Nate could buy a call all night, so their drives were less effective. The key to the entire game for me was how well this team played defensively in the second half. How many times was Northwestern down under 5 seconds before they were even able to get a shot up? Just night and day from early in the first half. If not for a couple of very fortunate bounces and a terrible call when McIntosh drove in three guys, we likely put that away a bit earlier. One major difference between how we defended Northwestern this year compared to last year (when they destroyed us) is that we were able to switch all screens and not create huge mismatches. I'd like to point out Eric Curry switching on smaller players and contrast that to if Joey King had to do that last year.

Individual accolades for me: Amir Coffey was fantastic early and made plays at a couple stages in the game where we looked a little lost offensively and he just created something himself. Bakary Konate gave us great minutes in the first half, rebounding everything, doing much better on pick and roll defense than last year, and finishing a couple of dunks. How about Michael Hurts big three? I was thinking while he was in the game "This might be the weakness of this team, there's 7 minutes left in a two score game on the road and we've got to put in an unproven freshman"...and then he buries the three! Even though Nate Mason was off scoring, he was extremely composed with the ball and made good decisions.

Concerns: Obviously the free throw shooting has to be better. There should be a stat that includes the 2nd FT of one and ones, because the FT% itself doesn't tell the whole story. I HATED the end of the first half. We were down 2 on the road and had the clear opportunity to take the last shot of the half. There's no way we shoud be going in to the half down more than 2. Dupree takes a three (he was wide open) with like 9 -10 seconds left and Northwestern gets the rebound and goes down and gets a transition layup at the buzzer for a two score lead and all the momentum. It was bizarre because it seemed like the Gophers were aware of the situation and were intending to take the last shot. I was also concerned with Dupree's shot in this game it was very clear in the second half that it didn't feel right to him, he didn't have confidence and that the ball was not going to go in. Kimani came out and slapped him on the ass at a timeout because you could tell Dupree was in his own head. Hopefully a home game will remedy that situation. Finally, it's a lot to ask of a freshman, but man Amir really needed to pull that ball out with like a minute to go and a 5 point lead. I understand trying to take advantage of a 2 on 1 situation, but we had a chance to get the clock down to about 30 seconds there. Unfortunately they then fouled Amir and he had to wait at the line for like 3 minutes to shoot the front end of a one and one.

The end of the 1st half was a problem. That can be fixed but shouldn't happen with a junior point guard. While our defense was MUCH better in the 2nd half I think Northwestern started waiting way too long in the shot clock to run their offense. They used to do that all the time, but now they have guys that can score. They really screwed themselves and had to take some bad shots. Springs still takes too many questionable threes, but I still leave him on the floor, we need his bench scoring. Lynch seems to be holding up well against Big Ten competition so far, which I'm happy to see. He was the ugliest hook in basketball, but it works for him and goes in more often than not.

Finally, it's a lot to ask of a freshman, but man Amir really needed to pull that ball out with like a minute to go and a 5 point lead. I understand trying to take advantage of a 2 on 1 situation, but we had a chance to get the clock down to about 30 seconds there. Unfortunately they then fouled Amir and he had to wait at the line for like 3 minutes to shoot the front end of a one and one.

I like everything that was said except this point in the quote. No problem with decision to try to score in the 2 on 1, especially when we're in the 1 and 1 still. I'll take Coffey/Murphy in a 2 on 1 any day. With that being said, Murphy should reconsider trying to dunk over a guy in that situation....a simple layup would've done the trick.

Coffey stood up as a man in this game. He's going to be fun to watch him get better. Mason was a dud all night and then canned a ton of free throws at the end to help us win. Good win...

Wait a minute- you said you were done with this team- and after their first Big 10 game.

Nice to see Hurt hit the key shot. Springs was solid as was Lynch until those last few minutes.

What is amazing and pleasing to me is that a different player can step up on any given night. That's what makes for a dangerously powerful team that has started 2-0 on the road in conference play.

Good post.

While I agree that the gophers were more aggressive and didn't get as many calls as they could have, I really like that the refs let both teams play. The MSU game was a foulathon with 50 plus calls made. This game had flow and was a much better game to watch. The fouls didn't come until the end when they were strategic, which was ok.

This gopher team is physically and mentally tough. They play really good defense. How many times last year were opposing players absolutely wide open at the three point line? Very different now. The challenge going forward will be learning to play when they have whistle happy officiating crews. They need Lynch and Murphy playing 25 plus minutes a night and at least 20 out of Curry.

Great games this week. tOSU will be a crazy atmosphere.

Great win. Not agreeing with the term "ugly" for it though. Shot decently well for the game, took pretty good care of the ball, and hung in and took the game back when it could have been lost. Add that to them holding two of the other team's best players in check (Lindsey and Law) and it was an excellent effort, if not perfectly executed. Nice to see them pulling out games when guys like Mason and McBrayer aren't having their best efforts. Free throws were bad, but made when they counted. Cats are going to look back at this one and say they should have had it, but the better team won. The Gophers were bigger, quicker and more skilled.

Sloppy? The two teams combined for 17 TOs. We had 16 assists on 25 baskets.

Is your only qualification turnovers and assists? How many forced shots, missed layups and dunks, missed free throws (Gophers) and tipped passes were there? The teams combined to shoot under 27% on 3s, and if you take away the 5 insane minutes to start, it gets much worse

Remember those possessions against the 1-3-1? Remember the lack of offensive flow in the 3nd half? I'm glad they won how they did. Shows they don't need an insane performance from Mason or 20* points on free throws to beat good teams.

Top Bottom