This team reminds me of the 2009-2010 Michigan Wolverines

Gopherfan1000

Reaction score
Michigan was supposed to be stellar housing two potential All-Big 10 players in Deshawn Sims (big man and could be compared to Oturu) and Manny Harris (guard could be compared to Carr). And, they had a sniper from deep in Zach Novak (who could be compared to Gabe, a little bit). Michigan ended up having a very lackluster year going 15-17 even with all that talent. Sims did under perform a bit, but I believe Harris had an All Big 10 season. As I recall, it was only Beilein's third year as Michigan Head Basketball Coach and I believe he was on the hot seat after this year because a lot more was expected. Such as the current situation with Pitino, though in his 7th season. Michigan has always been a good basketball program and are quicker to pull the trigger on coaching changes.

The Gophers this year tout a similar roster to that Michigan team and simply have just been the same type of underwhelming team. The point here is since that season 10 years ago Michigan has been a very nice team since. They've reached a FF and National Championship and have been the class (top 3) of the Big 10. They consistently bring in good recruits and they all seem to pan out to make the competitive every year.

I am for getting rid of Pitino, but if we keep him for ONE more year and let's say Oturu stays (highly unlikely) one more year, we land Chet Holmgren. Ihnen, Williams, Mashburn, all develop nicely. And, Carr becomes an All Big PG. Could we end up being the next Michigan in the Big 10? This is all skeptical but something Coyle may want to at least consider with the potential of this team moving forward under Pitino's leadership.

I've been a Pitino defender. He's had some bad luck, and he's gotten us some good results. And I didn't have high expectations for this year. But I'm at the point where if they bring him back, fine, and if they don't bring him back, fine. He really struggles to coach late in games, and that can be exhausting.

I've been a Pitino defender. He's had some bad luck, and he's gotten us some good results. And I didn't have high expectations for this year. But I'm at the point where if they bring him back, fine, and if they don't bring him back, fine. He really struggles to coach late in games, and that can be exhausting.

I agree 100% with you. Last night may have been the nail in the coffin. But, there's always things to analyze and think about. I think I trust in Coyle after seeing his magic with the football team.

I am for getting rid of Pitino, but if we keep him for ONE more year and let's say Oturu stays (highly unlikely) one more year, we land Chet Holmgren. Ihnen, Williams, Mashburn, all develop nicely. And, Carr becomes an All Big PG. Could we end up being the next Michigan in the Big 10? This is all skeptical but something Coyle may want to at least consider with the potential of this team moving forward under Pitino's leadership.

Yes, if all those things happen, we could be a pretty good team. But, any coach can look good with a really good team. Pitino did that himself with the 2016-17 team. I would rather have a coach who can do really well with a very good team and still manage to have some decent years with lesser teams.

Top Bottom