This team looks real

Let's face it. We look real. We look raw. We look real raw.

To all those responding negatively to what I said on page one ( I think ) I've drank enough Gopher kool-aid over the years to fill up an olympic size swimming pool. They look good but I'm going to temper my enthusiasm.

So:

Got to think that the basketball gods aren't that cruel.

Was really nice to see guys who had gotten a ton of criticism (quite a bit of it deserved) really contribute tonight. If Coleman can continue to play like that, and Welch can provide a bit of scoring, along with a lot more engaged Elliot, could be a really fun season.

Coleman hit his shots. If he can find a mid-range jumper, he becomes a serious threat. Without it he shines against lesser opponents where he can drive and be aggressive and fades against better ones that anticipate and have the quickness to defend his one or two moves. Plus, if he can pull up and shoot, that means less driving toward the bucket without a plan, which also means he turns the ball over less. That was easily one of Joe Coleman's best games last night. Showed a little flash of what could be.

Even SelectionSunday picked FSU in this game.

There are occasions where I enjoy being dead wrong. Last night was certainly one of 'em. What I like is the Gophers are beating some good competition, and we're really not getting a whole lot out of Mbakwe. That's a good sign.

Looking at the stats it was holding a team that was shooting 49% from the floor to 38%, while we shot 47%. We only had 3 steals but maybe thats why we didnt give that many easy buckets up. 12 turnovers on the road is also a nice low number. I did notice a new tactic of driving into the lane and kicking it out and passing it around for a wide open shot. Coleman especially. He used discretion on his drives and didnt charge or get blocked half as often.

Looking at the stats it was holding a team that was shooting 49% from the floor to 38%, while we shot 47%. We only had 3 steals but maybe thats why we didnt give that many easy buckets up. 12 turnovers on the road is also a nice low number. I did notice a new tactic of driving into the lane and kicking it out and passing it around for a wide open shot. Coleman especially. He used discretion on his drives and didnt charge or get blocked half as often.

Agreed. The half court offense looks much improved. More driving and more screens. And better passing. We actually look competent in the half court and it is amazing.

Coleman hit his shots. If he can find a mid-range jumper, he becomes a serious threat. Without it he shines against lesser opponents where he can drive and be aggressive and fades against better ones that anticipate and have the quickness to defend his one or two moves. Plus, if he can pull up and shoot, that means less driving toward the bucket without a plan, which also means he turns the ball over less. That was easily one of Joe Coleman's best games last night. Showed a little flash of what could be.

I can tell Joe has been working on his shooting form. I have seen him using better form in pregame warmups, obviously trying to get it to transfer into the games. Until recently, once he got into the game he'd revert back to some old habits, translating to less rotation on the shot. Last night he was flashing the improved form and mechanics.

The games were fun to watch this past weekend and last night - they are there for our entertainment not our criticism!

A great win last night. That was a lot of fun to watch. It was great to see a lot of guys contributing.

Just took a little gander through the Big Ten stats. I know it's early but one thing kinda stood out. The Gophers are easily the worst in the conference in defensive rebound percentage at .611. Which means the Gophers only grab 61.1% of potential defensive rebounds. But on the other side, the Gophers are easily the best at offensive rebound percentage at .480. Which means the Gophers are grabbing nearly half the potential rebounds on the offensive side of the court.

Very discouraging on one end, yet very encouraging on the other end. Not sure why that is but like I said it's early.

A great win last night. That was a lot of fun to watch. It was great to see a lot of guys contributing.

Just took a little gander through the Big Ten stats. I know it's early but one thing kinda stood out. The Gophers are easily the worst in the conference in defensive rebound percentage at .611. Which means the Gophers only grab 61.1% of potential defensive rebounds. But on the other side, the Gophers are easily the best at offensive rebound percentage at .480. Which means the Gophers are grabbing nearly half the potential rebounds on the offensive side of the court.

Very discouraging on one end, yet very encouraging on the other end. Not sure why that is but like I said it's early.

I think it's related to their tendency to go for blocks, but I could be wrong on that. It just seems like we're extremely aggressive about going for them and then of course, if you don't get all of the shot, that leaves you open for getting rebounded on.

Yes it does. Looked much more up tempo to me. FSU tried to shut us down in the half court but they kept at it and found ways to score.

Top Bottom