This stat will make you physically ill: Standing since Gard took over Wisconsin

EG#9

Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Big Ten standings since Greg Gard took over at Wisconsin. <a href="https://t.co/B9hDwyvuxE">pic.twitter.com/B9hDwyvuxE</a></p>&mdash; Bart T?rvik (@totally_t_bomb) <a href="">March 2, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1. The Gophers are tied for 12th out of 14 teams over a 92 game, nearly 5 year sample size
2. The Gophers are tied for 12th with Nebraska!
3. If that is not bad enough, Nebraska (yes Nebraska!) terminated their coach for poor performance
4. The Gophers have just 3 more wins that Northwestern (yes Northwestern!) over a nearly 5 year sample size
5. The Gophers have 5 more wins than Nebraska/Northwestern this year meaning they actually were BEHIND both in total wins over the previous 4 years/74 game sample size!
6. The B1G has not been "strong" during this time. Iowa (yes IOWA!) is tied for 7th with a 47-45 record and FOURTEEN games above Minnesota (an average of nearly 3 more wins per year).
7. Wisconsin has TWENTY FOUR more conference wins than Minnesota since Gard took over (an average of nearly 5 more wins per year).
8. Penn State (yes Penn State) has seven more conference wins than Minnesota over this 92 game sample

I will never understand how this was allowed to go on as long as it did.

good for them....and their fans like yourself

Technically tied for 11th :p

To add insult to injury, the coach Nebraska terminated would be an upgrade from the one we're rolling with.

As of this morning, only 6 teams in the nation have had worse kenpom “luck”. So, no. (Before someone jumps on me/that stat, luck is probably those unmeasurable intangibles from both coaches and players... so I’m not simply saying we’ve been unlucky.... just that we’ve found ourselves losing games our overall performance says we shouldn’t).

As of this morning, only 6 teams in the nation have had worse kenpom “luck”. So, no. (Before someone jumps on me/that stat, luck is probably those unmeasurable intangibles from both coaches and players... so I’m not simply saying we’ve been unlucky.... just that we’ve found ourselves losing games our overall performance says we shouldn’t).
We were one of the luckier major conference teams last year in the same metric. Has a way of evening out.

I'm not physically ill after reading this.
Gard is a good coach and, frankly, he's kind of hard to dislike, unlike The Grinch.

Technically tied for 11th :p

To add insult to injury, the coach Nebraska terminated would be an upgrade from the one we're rolling with.

Bad, bad Gopher. You can't be serious.

Bad, bad Gopher. You can't be serious.
You're at liberty to disagree, but don't get into shaming. Miles is much more accomplished in his career as a head coach.

And yet we still have people on these boards who support keeping Pitino around because the new recruits might, just might improve the team enough. Sorry he needs to go, it’s time to take the hit and move on. They need to find someone who can re-establish a relationship with the local AAU programs and get some of those kids here. I’m not necessarily talking about the one and dones either.

Three official NCAA tourney victories in the last three decades. Can any coach win here without creating a scandal?

You're at liberty to disagree, but don't get into shaming. Miles is much more accomplished in his career as a head coach.

Miles failed and was canned largely because he couldn't hold a team together. Kind of important.
Hiring him at Minnesota would be a huge mistake.

This is the fatalistic culture that the next coach is going to have to finally defeat. The right person will do that.

Call it what you want but the historical odds of basketball success at Minnesota are slightly better than the historical odds of beating pancreatic cancer.. You can win at Minnesota but let's be honest, its not easy if you don' bend the rules just a little.

Call it what you want but the historical odds of basketball success at Minnesota are slightly better than the historical odds of beating pancreatic cancer.. You can win at Minnesota but let's be honest, its not easy if you don' bend the rules just a little.
This whole "it's too hard so we shouldn't even try" is something that my wife and I didn't accept from our daughters from the time they were young, and I don't even remember the last time I heard them try that weak shit (they're adults now). It's the most stupid, self-defeating thing a person can say. I simply can't understand why anyone would settle for that attitude, much less try to push it on anyone else.

Instructive for sure. Thanks. Another way of looking at big ten history is ncaa tourney appearances and success the last three seasons. There are 7 teams that have made the tourney at least twice the last three seasons. I rank those 7 teams based upon the number of postseason wins (didnt bother to rank the teams with less than two appearances.)
1. Michigan 9
2. Purdue 7
3. MSU. 6
4. Wisconsin 2
OSU
6. Minnesota 1
Maryland

With this metric we tie for 6th despite the 16-17 Springs/Mason injury and all the player games lost in 17-18. With full roster those seasons could easily see us moving up to 4th in this ranking. Another way of looking at the data, think it's worth consideration.

As long as we are talking distasteful stats . . . I read in one of the online game previews over the weekend that this is the 22nd consecutive season that the Gophers will finish behind the Badgers in the regular season B1G standings.

You do not have to cheat one iota to win big here. The hard part is finding the coach to do it. Great coaches win anywhere. This is a good job with great opportunity.

Instructive for sure. Thanks. Another way of looking at big ten history is ncaa tourney appearances and success the last three seasons. There are 7 teams that have made the tourney at least twice the last three seasons. I rank those 7 teams based upon the number of postseason wins (didnt bother to rank the teams with less than two appearances.)
1. Michigan 9
2. Purdue 7
3. MSU. 6
4. Wisconsin 2
OSU
6. Minnesota 1
Maryland

With this metric we tie for 6th despite the 16-17 Springs/Mason injury and all the player games lost in 17-18. With full roster those seasons could easily see us moving up to 4th in this ranking. Another way of looking at the data, think it's worth consideration.
Yet all of those programs are on far better footing then we are. You just cherry picked.

In the last 20 or so years WI has missed the NCAA once. Throw in a few final fours and compare that with MN.
Bad luck with Clem, sanctions and three mediocre coaches and that is the history a new coach would have to face.

In the last 20 or so years WI has missed the NCAA once. Throw in a few final fours and compare that with MN.
Bad luck with Clem, sanctions and three mediocre coaches and that is the history a new coach would have to face.
A new coach will have to deal with perceptions and culture but not history. History is in the past.

You do not have to cheat one iota to win big here. The hard part is finding the coach to do it. Great coaches win anywhere. This is a good job with great opportunity.

For the past 2 decades, your assertion is patently false. Good jobs with great opportunity are not bypassed by strong candidates over and over and over again. And that, Badger, is what has happened.

For the past 2 decades, your assertion is patently false. Good jobs with great opportunity are not bypassed by strong candidates over and over and over again. And that, Badger, is what has happened.

The last time this job was open, our AD was a incompetent sleazeball. Tubby was a good haul at the time we got him too and had he had an AD with more of a backbone or that was a better fundraiser he could've had some more success here. The Monson hire was different of course due to sanctions. Currently we have an AD and admin that seems to be more in support of athletics. Better candidates see that.

It was not bad luck. He cheated. Correct the last three stints have been mediocre. It's why I think in state recruiting is pointless right now. Find good players that don't care about our past and want opportunities.

The last time this job was open, our AD was a incompetent sleazeball. Tubby was a good haul at the time we got him too and had he had an AD with more of a backbone or that was a better fundraiser he could've had some more success here. The Monson hire was different of course due to sanctions. Currently we have an AD and admin that seems to be more in support of athletics. Better candidates see that.
Monson was hired because NO ONE else would take the job. NO ONE.
RP was hired because NO ONE else would take the job. NO ONE.
Neither of them could make it work here. Tubby was Tubby, not my cup of tea.

For a couple of guys that tell all of GH about not making excuses, the excuse of the AD comes up from you and Badger - consistently. Badger repeats is over and over.

Now, 2020, we have a different AD. And, to your line above, I surely hope the athletic director is in support of athletics. And, it appears the administration is, indeed, more supporting.

The AD that nearly everyone here on GH has fawned over now has a decision to make. A big decision. IMO, if he is as great as advertised, he will make a change within the next 45 days and have a new coach on board. (With Badger's blessing, of course)

This decision will tell us fans a lot. How the MN BB job is viewed by "outsiders", the best future coaches. Either this job attracts the top flight candidates or it doesn't. Cant have it both ways. Some will try to rationalize. Good luck.

Better facilities - YES (practice)
Better recruits locally - YES
Better long term connection in area - Fortune 500 - YES
Fans that pee in sinks and poop in parks - NO
Better coach - you be the judge

Monson was hired because NO ONE else would take the job. NO ONE.
RP was hired because NO ONE else would take the job. NO ONE.
Neither of them could make it work here. Tubby was Tubby, not my cup of tea.

For a couple of guys that tell all of GH about not making excuses, the excuse of the AD comes up from you and Badger - consistently. Badger repeats is over and over.

Now, 2020, we have a different AD. And, to your line above, I surely hope the athletic director is in support of athletics. And, it appears the administration is, indeed, more supporting.

The AD that nearly everyone here on GH has fawned over now has a decision to make. A big decision. IMO, if he is as great as advertised, he will make a change within the next 45 days and have a new coach on board. (With Badger's blessing, of course)

This decision will tell us fans a lot. How the MN BB job is viewed by "outsiders", the best future coaches. Either this job attracts the top flight candidates or it doesn't. Cant have it both ways. Some will try to rationalize. Good luck.

When you look at taking a new job I bet you look at the company and how it's structured. If it appears to be a mess, you probably don't take the job. If you see good structure and opportunity for growth it will now become more appealing. I'm not saying we are going to have Jay Wright or Bill Self want to come here, but we will be more able to actually lad a mid major coach with some success this go around because our AD is competent and really well thought of outside of here. I don't blame the AD for causing to coach to fail. I blame the AD for choosing the wrong coach. I hope for one he chooses to make the change like you do. I also don't believe it happens yet. We will see.

When you look at taking a new job I bet you look at the company and how it's structured. If it appears to be a mess, you probably don't take the job. If you see good structure and opportunity for growth it will now become more appealing. I'm not saying we are going to have Jay Wright or Bill Self want to come here, but we will be more able to actually lad a mid major coach with some success this go around because our AD is competent and really well thought of outside of here. I don't blame the AD for causing to coach to fail. I blame the AD for choosing the wrong coach. I hope for one he chooses to make the change like you do. I also don't believe it happens yet. We will see.

I think a change will be made. Just hope it's not change for change's sake. If not a home run, would rather stay the course.

Top Bottom