This really irritates me

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
How many times have we seen the "Bigs" have no clue what to do, other than look for the pass, the few times they do get the ball inside or at the high post.

I wish Tubby would tell them that they must make a move to the hoop if single covered. Jump hook, fade, power it, spin, etc but shoot the damn ball. Then have DJ, Carter, and the other Big crash the offensive board. Be a threat to force the D to help out and if doubled then pop it back out for a possible 3 or to an open PF.

I know we are young, inexperienced and some turnovers will occur but they need to be more agressive in order to improve. Take away put backs and I would guess both Sampson and Colt take about 5 or 6 shots a game. They should be taking at least 10.

Watch for RSIII and Colt45 to dominate tonight inside. These two big young studs will mop up the boards, and get our running game going.

Bayfield, take it for what it's worth, but I think it normal progression and probably expected for the two big guys. Here's my reasoning:
1. They are freshman. Rarely do centers have the confidence to demand the ball in their first year of competion. (Greg Oden, Rickert, Pryzbilla perhaps?)
2. Coach Smith has really done a good job of instilling the team first mindset into his squad. It doesn't look like he has an established order for scoring options. An opposing coach or color analyst can't say coming out of a time out at crunch time, "I expect that Tubby has drawn up a play to get the ball in _____'s hands." Not a bad thing at all.
3. I don't think Coach Smith is putting too much pressure on his freshman. He's letting them develop. Again, not a bad thing at all.
4. Those two (CI, RSIII) have a lot of potential. They are playing very well for freshman and will only improve. It's going to be a formidable front line (IMHO better than Wisky's has been over that past few years) for the next three years.

Again, just my opinion...

Bayfield, take it for what it's worth, but I think it normal progression and probably expected for the two big guys. Here's my reasoning:
1. They are freshman. Rarely do centers have the confidence to demand the ball in their first year of competion. (Greg Oden, Rickert, Pryzbilla perhaps?)
2. Coach Smith has really done a good job of instilling the team first mindset into his squad. It doesn't look like he has an established order for scoring options. An opposing coach or color analyst can't say coming out of a time out at crunch time, "I expect that Tubby has drawn up a play to get the ball in _____'s hands." Not a bad thing at all.
3. I don't think Coach Smith is putting too much pressure on his freshman. He's letting them develop. Again, not a bad thing at all.
4. Those two (CI, RSIII) have a lot of potential. They are playing very well for freshman and will only improve. It's going to be a formidable front line (IMHO better than Wisky's has been over that past few years) for the next three years.

Again, just my opinion...

I agree. I think we're putting too much pressure on these young guys. If they play the same way in two years, then there's reason to criticize. This team has a bright future.

It's tough as fans as we look at each game and each season as do or die. But a good coach sees it as development, getting better each game, week, year. Much like batting in baseball. you don't work on your average, you work on your swing.

This team has a future, but be clear its peak is not this year, he's working for a great team down the line. We need to have patience as he plays guys that apparently don't have a clue much more than we would like. How else can they learn. there will be a huge payoff for our current frustrations. Give it time.

Top Bottom