This needs to be the 4th quarter song...

RodentRampage

Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XGbqGkS1c2w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It wasn't my goal to upset you, that was merely a bonus.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Just the let band play and be done with it. Stop trying to force a 4th quarter song.

This is not to pile onto the original poster (because it would be hilarious to go with the Weird Al song) but we need to finally choose ONE song and go with it. If the football team is successful and nationally relevant it will become a "thing." I hate to type anything positive about wisconsin but "Jump Around" is perfect...but it is only nationally relevant because the badgers have been, at least a little, nationally relevant over the last decade. Our musical montage, as it stands now, has always seemed a little disjointed and forced to me personally.

Brick house!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Holy Moly, we haven't decided on the 3rd quarter song yet.:banghead:

Just the let band play and be done with it. Stop trying to force a 4th quarter song.

Yeah, I can't wait until the next "John Phillip Sousa" day. Such refreshingly new music.

Yeah, I can't wait until the next "John Phillip Sousa" day. Such refreshingly new music.

Guys the pageantry of college football is all we need to young freshman in and make them gopher fans for life. We don't need no stinking hype music /s

The current 3rd/4th quarter break the past few years has been awesome. Creates great atmosphere, the students anticipate it coming up...even the players get into it. Wouldn't change a thing in my opinion. Kudos to marketing for finally getting it right.

Could we focus on building up the buzz when the team takes the field at the start? Cool video.....silence....wait...silence....team runs out...polite applause.

The current 3rd/4th quarter break the past few years has been awesome. Creates great atmosphere, the students anticipate it coming up...even the players get into it. Wouldn't change a thing in my opinion. Kudos to marketing for finally getting it right.

Could we focus on building up the buzz when the team takes the field at the start? Cool video.....silence....wait...silence....team runs out...polite applause.

+1.

Go Gophers!!

So you failed to notice that the Band's halftime shows last year featured a lot of today's hit music and music they haven't played before? The only John Phillip Sousa song consistently played is Minnesota March, a school song. The only halftime show that is repeated every year is the Military Tribute Show.

Fact is new music has been played and you haven't noticed. The 3rd quarter set up is great. Rotating between different songs is the new "tradition" the U has come up with and it works. The only thing that is constant is "Do the Gopher," "Let me Clear My Throat," and "Zombie Nation." The rest is a roll of the dice in a sense.

So you failed to notice that the Band's halftime shows last year featured a lot of today's hit music and music they haven't played before? The only John Phillip Sousa song consistently played is Minnesota March, a school song. The only halftime show that is repeated every year is the Military Tribute Show.

Fact is new music has been played and you haven't noticed. The 3rd quarter set up is great. Rotating between different songs is the new "tradition" the U has come up with and it works. The only thing that is constant is "Do the Gopher," "Let me Clear My Throat," and "Zombie Nation." The rest is a roll of the dice in a sense.

Bingo!!!!!!

Everyone in the stadium is having a great time. And isn't that what that break is about?

A side note, at the trivia game I used to play before I got a hosting gig, the host played Levels (the Do the Gopher song) and a bunch of the players (including me) started to do the Gopher.

Bingo!!!!!!

Everyone in the stadium is having a great time. And isn't that what that break is about?

A side note, at the trivia game I used to play before I got a hosting gig, the host played Levels (the Do the Gopher song) and a bunch of the players (including me) started to do the Gopher.

I can confirm that even the "Blue Haireds" in my section are lovin' the music between 3rd & 4th Quarter. Some of them still have the moves...others, not so much, but we dance like no one's watching.

Completely agree.

Serious question. How many teams hava fourth quarter song? I only know of Wisconsin. Do other Big teams have a go to song?

Whether it's covers of top 40 hits or the national anthem it all just sounds like marching band music which is really something only other marching band kids and their families want to hear. People can carp about the rap music and other music played at the breaks but at least people will pay money to see those artists perform. I don't see people lining up to attend marching band concerts and filling arenas. Or television shows searching for the next great marching band. To most people It's a dead form of music that is inflicted upon them not asked for. I can live with it as part of the tradition and pageantry of the game but the majority want less of it not more.

Whether it's covers of top 40 hits or the national anthem it all just sounds like marching band music which is really something only other marching band kids and their families want to hear. People can carp about the rap music and other music played at the breaks but at least people will pay money to see those artists perform. I don't see people lining up to attend marching band concerts and filling arenas. Or television shows searching for the next great marching band. To most people It's a dead form of music that is inflicted upon them not asked for. I can live with it as part of the tradition and pageantry of the game but the majority want less of it not more.

I'd be willing to bet your observations come from viewing the people you hang around with.

Time to broaden your horizons.

I can confirm that even the "Blue Haireds" in my section are lovin' the music between 3rd & 4th Quarter. Some of them still have the moves...others, not so much, but we dance like no one's watching.

How can you be sure that the random gyrations and twitching of muscles isn't just advanced dementia at work?

I think you underestimate the number of marching band kids. Go to a DCI event sometime.

I would say we need take it a little easier on the recorded music until big moments in the game. Too much music shuts up the crowd rather than the other way around.

I'd be willing to bet your observations come from viewing the people you hang around with.

Time to broaden your horizons.

I know you can still find Lawerence Welk on the old timers networks, but that doesn't mean the big band era isn't over.

Time to experience something new.

I think you underestimate the number of marching band kids. Go to a DCI event sometime. .

Really? As a non band geek I had to google what that was I found this as an example

2015 DCI St. Louis - O'Fallon, IL / O'Fallon, IL
Tuesday, June 23, 2015, 7:30 pm CST at:
O'Fallon Township HS Stadium, 600 South Smiley Street, O'Fallon, IL 62269
See Description Important:

ALL TICKETS ORDERS FROM NOW ON WILL BE HELD AT WILL CALL. PATRONS WILL NEED TO PICK UP TICKETS AT THE BOX OFFICE THE DAY OF THE SHOW AND HAVE A PHOTO ID PRESENT.

Performance Start Time at 7:30pm
Gates open at 6:00pm
Day of Show Box Office opens at 3:00pm

Ticket prices range from $25 - $40*. Tickets increase $5 the day of the show.

GROUPS of 20 or more receive a $5 discount in the Super Sections**

Groups of 20-49 receive 2 comp tickets
Groups of 50-79 receive 5 comp tickets
Groups of 80-124 receive 10 comp tickets
Groups of 125 or more receive 15 comp tickets

So basically band groups attend these events to see other band groups thus continuing the cycle of self delusion that non band members care about this and it's so popular they hold them at a high school football field to handle the huge crowds.

Really? As a non band geek I had to google what that was I found this as an example

So basically band groups attend these events to see other band groups thus continuing the cycle of self delusion that non band members care about this and it's so popular they hold them at a high school football field to handle the huge crowds.
There's no doubt that Kenny Chesney and Lady Gaga are more popular, but that doesn't mean that a majority of the crowd at TCF wants all pre-recorded Gaga and no band.

You say this as TCF is about to host one of the largest Drum Corps events of the year in 3 weeks. Which draws about 20,000 people or so each year. Until recent seasons, that would be considered a fantastic showing for a Gopher Football game. Many of the people who attend have never touched a musical instrument.

You said it yourself: you are a non band geek. So basically you think it "all sounds like marching band music" and band people are "delusional" because you weren't interested in it and think it is dumb. Good for you!

Even the casual fans would lament if the Minnesota Marching Band was not there for a game or two. You don't just lose music, but the passion for the team and school that goes with it. I have yet to meet another group at the U more dedicated to representing the school and proud to be a student at the U than the Marching Band.

The skills I learned during my years in the band were more valuable than anything I learned in class from a textbook. Being able to bring three hundred people from all over the world (there are international students in the band) and enable them to work as one unit at their highest potential is not an easy task.

Top Bottom