This is what happens when you go 2 years without recruiting LBs

I just find it funny how you're going down a rabbit hole of discounting interceptions.
You know who else had a lot of "bad" interceptions.

Paul Krause for the Vikings.
You're trying to see something that isn't there. What rabbit hole? Two. That's not a rabbit hole. And it is/was a valid point, regarding those two particular players.

2018 also had Teague, who has obviously opted out this year and is nowhere to be seen. No idea if he would've made a difference on the interior DL this year. He was a solid role player last year, but not a starter.
Teague is quitting football altogether per burns report. If was playing full strength, our interior would look way different: MDT and Teague would be a very good tandem.

Due to inexperienced DTs and Rush unable to set an edge, our DL is getting blown back considerably giving our inexperienced LBs no chance to make a play and have to move through the wash. Not playing fast.

I feel like Lindy and Gordon are going to be players. If we had a decent DL, I feel like MSM and Aune would be playing so much better especially with MSM ability to blow up ppl in the hole.

Teague is quitting football altogether per burns report. If was playing full strength, our interior would look way different: MDT and Teague would be a very good tandem.

Due to inexperienced DTs and Rush unable to set an edge, our DL is getting blown back considerably giving our inexperienced LBs no chance to make a play and have to move through the wash. Not playing fast.

I feel like Lindy and Gordon are going to be players. If we had a decent DL, I feel like MSM and Aune would be playing so much better especially with MSM ability to blow up ppl in the hole.
DL is probably a bigger concern for me than the future of linebacker. We have signed some edge guys but not many interior big bodies throughout the last few classes.

DL is probably a bigger concern for me than the future of linebacker. We have signed some edge guys but not many interior big bodies throughout the last few classes.
Lack of productivity from our DEs is troubling to say the least

Did not know Teague was quitting! Hope he changes his mind.

Oliver appeared to be the best on prior to injury.
The 2018 class of LB's doesn't seem great, but that class was excellent offensively. Each class since has shown far more talent so we should be fine.
Guys can jump in and play at LB quicker than D-line IMO.
I think this gets lost in the shuffle in that our DT play has been inconsistent with guys missing and playing before they are ready.

We will be fully loaded on offense next year, so it will be interesting to see how they work the Grad Transfer Portal on defense.

I think this gets lost in the shuffle in that our DT play has been inconsistent with guys missing and playing before they are ready.

We will be fully loaded on offense next year,
so it will be interesting to see how they work the Grad Transfer Portal on defense.
What does the bolded mean?

Did not know Teague was quitting! Hope he changes his mind.
Teague and Faalele are still on the roster. I don't think they are leaving. I think they just opted out of the season. Not sure if they can be at certain team events/activities.

The DT recruiting has been the best it’s ever been the last few years, as far as getting coveted prospects.

Scholarship linebackers still on the roster:

2017 - Trenton Guthrie - doesn't contribute https://gophersports.com/sports/football/roster/trenton-guthrie/18325

2018 - Oliver, MSM, Aune, and Rush (converted to "rush end", which is similarish to a classic 3-4 OLB on the line of scrimmage)

Oliver is out this year. MSM, Aune, and Rush would be starters and solid players at South Dakota State. They're too slow to be starters in the Big Ten, simple as that.

Aune's "game winning" interception was gift-wrapped with a nice fluffly bow on top by Plummer. Threw it right to him.
I don’t think it’s fair to give up on Aune already, he doesn’t seem that slow to me. MSM I still think is a valuable contributor, although probably is being asked to do too much. Seems like MSM would fair better as the mlb in three lb sets.

The DT recruiting has been the best it’s ever been the last few years, as far as getting coveted prospects.
DT? I'd say DE has been. In 2019 we had 3 recruits (Cheney, Schaud, Carter) but we only had 1 in 2020 - Ali Saad who was low rated and only 260 lbs. Then just Schuster so far in 2021. I realize you don't need 10 a year but seems kind of slim.

I will say I've liked what I've seen from Carter so far.

DT? I'd say DE has been. In 2019 we had 3 recruits (Cheney, Schaud, Carter) but we only had 1 in 2020 - Ali Saad who was low rated and only 260 lbs. Then just Schuster so far in 2021. I realize you don't need 10 a year but seems kind of slim.

I think Richter was also grayshirted and is technically in 2019 class.

Eastern could potentially be a DT as well. Saad didn’t have a high grade but had multiple P5 offers and Big10 offers. Also Richter as someone mentioned. They might not all be four stars but this is tough position to recruit and Fleck is doing far better than previous coaches. Remember we are used to starting walk-ons at DT. Like Renner and Botticelli.

Eastern could potentially be a DT as well. Saad didn’t have a high grade but had multiple P5 offers and Big10 offers. Also Richter as someone mentioned. They might not all be four stars but this is tough position to recruit and Fleck is doing far better than previous coaches. Remember we are used to starting walk-ons at DT. Like Renner and Botticelli.
Yep I forgot Richter. Yeah I'm thinking Eastern has potential to slide inside as well. Either way I still think that DT is a position we need to address considering how these holes tend to look for the opponents. We're also an injury, COVID situation, transfer, etc. away from being VERY thin there.

Someone said putting full blame on the LB's isn't fair which I tend to agree with. Hopefully DT can get sorted out a bit too.

I just find it funny how you're going down a rabbit hole of discounting interceptions.
You know who else had a lot of "bad" interceptions.

Paul Krause for the Vikings.
When the "bad" interceptions become routine then maybe he'll reconsider. Until then....blind hog...

If it makes you feel any better the defensive line is just as bad or worse .

I don’t think it’s fair to give up on Aune already, he doesn’t seem that slow to me. MSM I still think is a valuable contributor, although probably is being asked to do too much. Seems like MSM would fair better as the mlb in three lb sets.
Aune got embarrassed badly, twice now: Michigan game (I think their first play?) and just against Purdue, I believe it was Moore.

Granted Moore is a tremendous athlete. But it was like watching a varsity starter going against a JV player.

I have not watched him every play. But I swear, he's out there for half the huge/scoring plays against us, at least.

Aune, MSM, and Rush all seem like exactly the same type of player to me. And all were (lower, I think) 3* recruits from the 2018 class. I just don't think they have the raw physical talent to be Big Ten starters.

But I've been wrong many, many times before, and will be wrong many times again. I'll continue to toss out my takes, without worry too much about being wrong.

Yep I forgot Richter. Yeah I'm thinking Eastern has potential to slide inside as well. Either way I still think that DT is a position we need to address considering how these holes tend to look for the opponents. We're also an injury, COVID situation, transfer, etc. away from being VERY thin there.

Someone said putting full blame on the LB's isn't fair which I tend to agree with. Hopefully DT can get sorted out a bit too.
Sounds to me like next year we will have enough guys that got some experience this year to be able to rotate at the DT positions keeping guys fresh all game long.

Aune got embarrassed badly, twice now: Michigan game (I think their first play?) and just against Purdue, I believe it was Moore.

Granted Moore is a tremendous athlete. But it was like watching a varsity starter going against a JV player.

I have not watched him every play. But I swear, he's out there for half the huge/scoring plays against us, at least.

Aune, MSM, and Rush all seem like exactly the same type of player to me. And all were (lower, I think) 3* recruits from the 2018 class. I just don't think they have the raw physical talent to be Big Ten starters.

But I've been wrong many, many times before, and will be wrong many times again. I'll continue to toss out my takes, without worry too much about being wrong.
Moore will embarrass any linebacker, he also embarrassed Durr. Aune did also get shook on that Michigan play. But against Purdue I’d have to rewatch the tape, but I thought he seemed to do a better job covering those throws out to the flats. He was right there to make the play against Michigan, I don’t think lack of speed is an issue with him.

Moore will embarrass any linebacker, he also embarrassed Durr. Aune did also get shook on that Michigan play. But against Purdue I’d have to rewatch the tape, but I thought he seemed to do a better job covering those throws out to the flats. He was right there to make the play against Michigan, I don’t think lack of speed is an issue with him.
A white guy from a historically Jewish neighborhood who wasn't athletically gifted enough to earn a scholarship to an urban private school?

/s :cool:

I'm going to disagree with MplsGopher.

I see a lot of good in several of these young linebackers.
I think we'll be okay!

A white guy from a historically Jewish neighborhood who wasn't athletically gifted enough to earn a scholarship to an urban private school?

/s :cool:
Yes, let's assume he's slow because he's white and disregard his 116 Sparq score and top ten finish at the Nike The Opening event.

Yes, let's assume he's slow because he's white and disregard his 116 Sparq score and top ten finish at the Nike The Opening event.
I even put /s for sarcasm.

That "Sparq" score (or whatever proprietary thing Nike made up to sell stuff) certainly didn't help him make that tackle against Michigan or come close to putting a finger on Moore.

I even put /s for sarcasm.

That "Sparq" score (or whatever proprietary thing Nike made up to sell stuff) certainly didn't help him make that tackle against Michigan or come close to putting a finger on Moore.
So he whiffed on a four star rb that runs a 4.4 forty and Rondale Moore who is one of the most electric players in the nation. Most linebackers in space against a good rb or wr are going to be in trouble.

So he whiffed on a four star rb that runs a 4.4 forty and Rondale Moore who is one of the most electric players in the nation. Most linebackers in space against a good rb or wr are going to be in trouble.
Worst than whiffed. More like he went to the plate without a bat. We can do better. We will

Top Bottom