This Is The Time To Make Some Noise

bleedsmaroonandgold

Reaction score
Gophers first four conference games are all against teams who finished with a worse B1G record than we did and with a collective 5-27 B1G record last year. After that, we play four games against teams with a collective 24-8 B1G record last year, all of whom finished with a better B1G record than we did. We can't afford another slow conference season start, and we really have a chance to build some momentum heading into the late season gauntlet if we don't beat ourselves. Let's go Gophs!

I was thinking about it earlier, and I might go so far as to say that, in terms of momentum, Saturday's game is the biggest in the Kill era to date.

- The team is still a bit of an unknown, but is edging toward "worse than we thought" with the loss at TCU and the passing struggles. Win on Saturday and that whittles away and there is an air of confidence about the program again. Lose, and we're 3-2 with another loss to a subpar Michigan team, with more raised voices from the gallery.

- Michigan may be subpar, but they're still a name-brand team, and it's a widely-available televised rivalry game (on ABC and ESPN2). Beating them would be another big feather in Kill's cap, in addition to beating Iowa and Nebraska in his tenure.

- Win at Michigan, and a 5-0 B1G start is not out of the question (I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but bear with me); after the Wolverines, it's bye, vs NW, vs PUR, @ ILL, bye, vs IOWA. I would not be surprised if we won any of those games. It would be Minnesota's first 5-0 start to B1G play since 1960.

- A 5-0 start to the conference season - although unlikely, much more possible with a win on Saturday - would guarantee back-to-back 8-win regular seasons for the first time since 1940-1941.

I know, I'm getting way ahead here, but it's a possible springboard to big things IMO.

Agree with everything you said Gopher07, especially the first bullet. This game could go a long way to defining our season. Hopefully the players rise to the occasion and play their best football.

I was thinking about it earlier, and I might go so far as to say that, in terms of momentum, Saturday's game is the biggest in the Kill era to date.

- The team is still a bit of an unknown, but is edging toward "worse than we thought" with the loss at TCU and the passing struggles. Win on Saturday and that whittles away and there is an air of confidence about the program again. Lose, and we're 3-2 with another loss to a subpar Michigan team, with more raised voices from the gallery.

- Michigan may be subpar, but they're still a name-brand team, and it's a widely-available televised rivalry game (on ABC and ESPN2). Beating them would be another big feather in Kill's cap, in addition to beating Iowa and Nebraska in his tenure.

- Win at Michigan, and a 5-0 B1G start is not out of the question (I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but bear with me); after the Wolverines, it's bye, vs NW, vs PUR, @ ILL, bye, vs IOWA. I would not be surprised if we won any of those games. It would be Minnesota's first 5-0 start to B1G play since 1960.

- A 5-0 start to the conference season - although unlikely, much more possible with a win on Saturday - would guarantee back-to-back 8-win regular seasons for the first time since 1940-1941.

I know, I'm getting way ahead here, but it's a possible springboard to big things IMO.

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Agreed, and all very well stated Gopher07.

This game is a huge game and could think of nothing better than a win in the Big House and getting that Jug!

I expect Michigan to bring it on Saturday. Now, many don't quite know what "it" is for them right now, but whatever it is, it'll be there. Many sub-par Wolverine starts
have been "cured" with an emotional win for the Jug.

That said, I've been perusing some of the Michigan boards, and you have to look VERY hard to even find Minnesota's name mentioned anywhere. I listened to Brady
Hoke and their OC's pressers and you wouldn't know who they were playing this week. I don't know what to make of that.

This whole week could be very surreal and strange for what is usually a pretty simple matchup between two old foes for a legendary trophy.....

Win the line of scrimmage on Saturday and there is a strong chance if your a Gophers player you win the jug. There are seven people on defense and six on offense that need to see if they can do that, win the line of scrimmage, each of them beating their man for 60 Minutes. Those guy's are distracted and think they can just turn it on, show up and they will win, thats about how much they care about this game, to them the Jug is already secure in the Trophy case in Ann Arbor. 60 Minutes, win the line of scrimmage, create turnovers, play hard physical football. Can the Gophers do it and are they up to the task this week? That is the Big question? It's about more than the Jug it is proving all of the hard work and extra effort can be seen on the football field. Michigan is going to bring "it" that Superiroity we know we are going to win attitude, we as fans already know that, what are the chances the Gophers will? That is why they play on 09/27.
Can the Gophers win the line of scrimmage and can they steal the slice of pizza out of Gardners hand?

I actually think this week is Michigan's Alamo. We will get their strongest effort ... but if their mistakes continue we can win.

This is what I was telling people. I mean depending on if we lose to Michigan or not we might still start conference play 3-1 or 4-1 the way our schedule looks after Michigan but a win over Michigan would be huge. A 5-0 start is a long shot but I would not be surprised if it did in fact happen. It is not that far of a shot for the Gophers to start at least 3-1 or possibly 4-1 which we would not be bad at all.

I actually think this week is Michigan's Alamo. We will get their strongest effort ... but if their mistakes continue we can win.

Yes, exactly. It's important that we get an early lead and hold it. Michigan will give us everything they have and if we can hold tight, their wheels will fall off.

I wonder when we'll get Patrick's article in the Strib reminding everyone that this is not a good Michigan team in an effort to neuter the Gophers before the game is played. My guess is Thursday or Friday...

I wonder when we'll get Patrick's article in the Strib reminding everyone that this is not a good Michigan team in an effort to neuter the Gophers before the game is played. My guess is Thursday or Friday...

In fairness, this is not a good Michigan team. They were a losing B1G team last year that was a blown offisdes call from being 2-6 with a loss to 1-7 Northwestern. They look even worse this year. Got shot out by a rival, then lost by 16 to Utah at the Big House. That said, I'll be thrilled with win to grab a trophy we haven't had since I started college (missed 2005 by one year).

Talking last night. We think it is the biggest game since the 2003 Friday night Michigan game. Let's hope we turn the tables. If you look at the stats, Michigan has a formidable defense. Utah only put up around 100 yards rushing against them.

If this was not a rivalry game I would like the Gopher chances even more to win this game. The problem is a rivalry game usually the added incentive struggling teams need to come alive. The Wolverines have athletes on both sides of the ball which Gardner proved against the Gophers a couple years ago when he stepped into the QB position. They have struggled so far this season but do the Gophers have the offensive weapons to capitalize on Michigan’s weaknesses? I think the best chance the Gophers have is to win this game with their defense. Force Michigan into more turnovers, set up the offense with good field position, and score some points in non traditional ways could be defense, special teams, or a trick play or two.

Michigan is a fragile team. They were shut out by there closest rival. Have lost at home to Utah. We just need to jump on them early and the doubt will set in. Desperation will lead to turn overs, and the steady pounding will take a toll late.

Michigan is a fragile team. They were shut out by there closest rival. Have lost at home to Utah. We just need to jump on them early and the doubt will set in. Desperation will lead to turn overs, and the steady pounding will take a toll late.

Closest Rival?

I'm officially excited for Saturday. This is a huge statement game, and after Saturday we have a bye week and "easier" conference games to hopefully get the passing game going before our tough stretch to end the season. Win on Saturday and we have a decent chance to be in the mix in the West division in November.

Top Bottom