This is pathetic and downright strange

I think Mav is just fine as a back-up. I don't have any problem with him getting some minutes. We just don't have anyone else to replace him. Julian is just like Dre in the sense that neither have the natural feel to the position imo.

I'm fine with Maverick getting back-up minutes but not 25 minutes/game

I'm fine with Maverick getting back-up minutes but not 25 minutes/game

Gophs problem is there is no one to take the last, big, shot in games and do it well.

Grier was the last player that could create and have confidence in himself, IMO...

On the roster now, Chip seems the most likely to be able to be that guy, but I dont know if he is good enough...

Gophs problem is there is no one to take the last, big, shot in games and do it well.

Grier was the last player that could create and have confidence in himself, IMO...

On the roster now, Chip seems the most likely to be able to be that guy, but I dont know if he is good enough...

ever hear of a guy named westbrook?

We need a point guard badly. Mav is a back-up. Dre doesn't have a point guard bone in his body. A solid pg takes control of those last two possessions.

Here's the bad news tikited: We aren't recruiting one. Personally, I think Dre could do it, but he has to be allowed to play lots of minutes with a looser leash in order to develop some confidence. If he was confident in what he was doing you would have two decent ball handlers on the perimeter that can shoot, drive and shoot free throws (Welch and Andre). If Mav is our long term point guard then our future ceiling is very low. Maverick has done everything asked of him, plays hard and knows the system. He just is what he is and I would be amazed to see him get a lot better. A lot better is what we need out of the most important position on the floor. If you are playing to be in games, right now,today- then Mav is probably playing better than Andre. If you are playing to have a much better team by year end and into the future- then Andre should be on the floor. Andre to me is just another in a line of players who are offensive minded who have come into play for Tubby and have lost their confidence or been sat down for their aggressive offensive play. Bostick, Westbrook (who was never a Tubby favorite), Joseph and Armelin are among these.

It rarely looks to me like Tubby teams play with confidence on offense. It looks to me like the way you get in trouble- as a guard- is to shoot. If you are a forward/ center- shoot anytime. Late in games if you don't have guards that are confident that they can knock down a shot, you lose the close games. Welch hit a couple today and that was encouraging at least.

When we weredown one and had the ball Ralph seem to have good position with the ball for a shot but passed it out with little time on the shot clock - that to me was our last chance.

Bingo. Mr Passive needs to take that shot. He is the senior.

Here's the bad news tikited: We aren't recruiting one. Personally, I think Dre could do it, but he has to be allowed to play lots of minutes with a looser leash in order to develop some confidence. If he was confident in what he was doing you would have two decent ball handlers on the perimeter that can shoot, drive and shoot free throws (Welch and Andre). If Mav is our long term point guard then our future ceiling is very low. Maverick has done everything asked of him, plays hard and knows the system. He just is what he is and I would be amazed to see him get a lot better. A lot better is what we need out of the most important position on the floor. If you are playing to be in games, right now,today- then Mav is probably playing better than Andre. If you are playing to have a much better team by year end and into the future- then Andre should be on the floor. Andre to me is just another in a line of players who are offensive minded who have come into play for Tubby and have lost their confidence or been sat down for their aggressive offensive play. Bostick, Westbrook (who was never a Tubby favorite), Joseph and Armelin are among these.

It rarely looks to me like Tubby teams play with confidence on offense. It looks to me like the way you get in trouble- as a guard- is to shoot. If you are a forward/ center- shoot anytime. Late in games if you don't have guards that are confident that they can knock down a shot, you lose the close games. Welch hit a couple today and that was encouraging at least.

You sir have hit the Nail on the Head Bingo and Bravo !!
Any player who even dares to think about offense and scoring is in big time trouble on a Tubby team.
He better live, eat, breath, dream about, and fantasize about defense.
Tubby is obsessed with defense, defense, and some more defense.
Players are scared to death to take a shot and therefore get broken of their scoring confidence, thus their abilities. Tubby's offense is about passing 30 times and getting it inside for a shot and, well, that is all.
Anything other than that has no place on a Tubby lead team. Do that and get back to play defense.
Miss a shot, go to the bench and get stared at and think about defense. If you get back in the game you better be ready to play defense.

This year will be a typical Tubby year as of late.
Get a bunch of wins against some cupcake teams to help build to 20 wins.
Scratch out a few more wins in the conference but finish in the middle. Maybe get a win in the Big Ten Tour.
By now Tubby will have 20 wins and everyone can ooh and awe about Tubby getting 20 wins again.
( Even though most teams play around 30 plus games a year and the better than average teams will all win 20 or more)
Fizzle out in the NIT or NCAA if he gets in.
Then Tubby can say that the year was successful because they won 20 and next year how he hopes to play a faster paced game and get up and down the floor.
All Tubby fans will then talk about how it wasn't his fault and the proverbial "wait til next year" will start

Rinse and repeat

I'm starting to sense more frustration/impatience with Tubby, at least from GHers. Thoughts?

Right on bga1 and Nugget

You sir have hit the Nail on the Head Bingo and Bravo !!
Any player who even dares to think about offense and scoring is in big time trouble on a Tubby team.
He better live, eat, breath, dream about, and fantasize about defense.
Tubby is obsessed with defense, defense, and some more defense.
Players are scared to death to take a shot and therefore get broken of their scoring confidence, thus their abilities. Tubby's offense is about passing 30 times and getting it inside for a shot and, well, that is all.
Anything other than that has no place on a Tubby lead team. Do that and get back to play defense.
Miss a shot, go to the bench and get stared at and think about defense. If you get back in the game you better be ready to play defense.

This year will be a typical Tubby year as of late.
Get a bunch of wins against some cupcake teams to help build to 20 wins.
Scratch out a few more wins in the conference but finish in the middle. Maybe get a win in the Big Ten Tour.
By now Tubby will have 20 wins and everyone can ooh and awe about Tubby getting 20 wins again.
( Even though most teams play around 30 plus games a year and the better than average teams will all win 20 or more)
Fizzle out in the NIT or NCAA if he gets in.
Then Tubby can say that the year was successful because they won 20 and next year how he hopes to play a faster paced game and get up and down the floor.
All Tubby fans will then talk about how it wasn't his fault and the proverbial "wait til next year" will start

Rinse and repeat

Tubby's quote in the Pioneer Press sums up much of the problem with his tenure with the Gophers - "Maybe we're not as good on the perimeter as we thought we were." Tubby does not recruit shooters. He recruits runners, jumpers, and dunkers." This year is no different than past years - no "go to" players who can hit a three, or for that matter, hit a shot outside of 2 feet. The only players who even resemble outside shooters are Welch and Au Hollins. Isn't it puzzling that Williams and Ahanmisi were in the game at the end, considering their lack of any kind of touch and poor-poor free throw shooting. And poor Sampson - put the kid in the flute section of the band and reward him for his lack of agressiveness. As a team, good defense for much of the game, but poor offense. Yes - it is tough to be a gopher fan, but once again - "maybe next year."

Tubby's quote in the Pioneer Press sums up much of the problem with his tenure with the Gophers - "Maybe we're not as good on the perimeter as we thought we were." Tubby does not recruit shooters. He recruits runners, jumpers, and dunkers." This year is no different than past years - no "go to" players who can hit a three, or for that matter, hit a shot outside of 2 feet. The only players who even resemble outside shooters are Welch and Au Hollins. Isn't it puzzling that Williams and Ahanmisi were in the game at the end, considering their lack of any kind of touch and poor-poor free throw shooting. And poor Sampson - put the kid in the flute section of the band and reward him for his lack of agressiveness. As a team, good defense for much of the game, but poor offense. Yes - it is tough to be a gopher fan, but once again - "maybe next year."
Isn't Mav shooting just under 80% from the line?

the "wait till next year" mantra has already started

station19 said:
I'm starting to sense more frustration/impatience with Tubby, at least from GHers. Thoughts?

No. Most of us are just staying away from gopher hole around game days / in general.

There are a few reasonable posters still around, but the people who want to write off tubby and the team every year after 2 big 10 games arrive every year.

If anything, there are less of them this year. Maybe that's you, maybe it's not. But all I'll say is, there is a lot of basketball left to be played. They were never going to go 18-0. Teams start 0-2 and finish just fine all the time.

I don't know what happens this year, but how about instead of "wait until next year" we at least wait until maybe 5 games this year?

I'd say that's pretty accurate. I'm actually seeing the same thing with casual fans that aren't members here...lots of frustrated muttering going on...

I'd say that's pretty accurate. I'm actually seeing the same thing with casual fans that aren't members here...lots of frustrated muttering going on...

and when the frustrated muttering stops because the fans don't see any hope for improvement, it is even worse. I got Gopher tickets Monson's last year because I could see he was done and was hoping the next coach would be able to do something great. I was ok with the Tubby hire but had more realistic expecatations than some on here. But after three home games for the Timberwolves, the atmosphere and excitement at Target Center has me looking forward to Wolves games more than Gophers games. They have a crazy fan section where they stand up and yell and chantand make it seem like a college game. Who doesn't like a good Rubio chant when he comes in the game?

No. Most of us are just staying away from gopher hole around game days / in general.

There are a few reasonable posters still around, but the people who want to write off tubby and the team every year after 2 big 10 games arrive every year.

If anything, there are less of them this year. Maybe that's you, maybe it's not. But all I'll say is, there is a lot of basketball left to be played. They were never going to go 18-0. Teams start 0-2 and finish just fine all the time.

I don't know what happens this year, but how about instead of "wait until next year" we at least wait until maybe 5 games this year?

+1
I was worried the Gophers would get blown out in the first two B1G games. They were competitive - so I am not too upset.
If the Gophers lose to Iowa - I will not check GopherHole for a week.

This year is no different than past years - no "go to" players who can hit a three, or for that matter, hit a shot outside of 2 feet. The only players who even resemble outside shooters are Welch and Au Hollins.

I think Welch will continue to become more of our "go to" guy as the season goes on.

Oto is a shooter as well. He's just playing out of position right now. Andre Hollins is shooting over 40% from the 3-point line also. We're not as bad from the outside as some of you make it out to be. We currently rank in the top half of the B1G in field goal and three point percentage. We are shooting better from the outside than teams like Ohio St., Michigan St., and Illinois. We did just go 8 for 19 from the outside yesterday too, by the way.

My bigger problem in certain games this year is that we don't penetrate the lane enough and draw fouls. We shot just eight free throws against Michigan. Against Illinois we were in the bonus with over 12 minutes left in the first half and shot just four free throws after that. If anything, the "runners, jumpers, and dunkers" are not doing what they do well nearly enough.

I think Welch will continue to become more of our "go to" guy as the season goes on.

Oto is a shooter as well. He's just playing out of position right now. Andre Hollins is shooting over 40% from the 3-point line also. We're not as bad from the outside as some of you make it out to be. We currently rank in the top half of the B1G in field goal and three point percentage. We are shooting better from the outside than teams like Ohio St., Michigan St., and Illinois. We did just go 8 for 19 from the outside yesterday too, by the way.

My bigger problem in certain games this year is that we don't penetrate the lane enough and draw fouls. We shot just eight free throws against Michigan. Against Illinois we were in the bonus with over 12 minutes left in the first half and shot just four free throws after that. If anything, the "runners, jumpers, and dunkers" are not doing what they do well nearly enough.

+1 Our game in the paint has taken a major hit without Mbakwe.

+1 Our game in the paint has taken a major hit without Mbakwe.

Gold Vision...please realize that our experts on the GopherHole were complaining when we went inside to Mbakwe too much and that we weren't taking enough 3-point attempts. Now that Trevor is out, those same people are complaining that we are a poor 3-point shooting team and need to get the ball into the paint more. Try make sense of that nonsense.

Gold Vision...please realize that our experts on the GopherHole were complaining when we went inside to Mbakwe too much and that we weren't taking enough 3-point attempts. Now that Trevor is out, those same people are complaining that we are a poor 3-point shooting team and need to get the ball into the paint more. Try make sense of that nonsense.

No one is claiming to be an expert, except maybe GW :).

People are entitled to their opinions, however stupid I may think they are.

We get it, you don't like discussing anything that second guesses the experts. I suggest you accept the board for what it is, or stop reading/responding to it.

No one is claiming to be an expert, except maybe GW :).

People are entitled to their opinions, however stupid I may think they are.

We get it, you don't like discussing anything that second guesses the experts. I suggest you accept the board for what it is, or stop reading/responding to it.
It's Dr. Don's schtick.

Gets pretty tired if you ask me, but I've stopped responding to his posts...just because he rarely adds anything to the board, except comments about high school cheerleaders and making fun of GH posters for actually having an opinion on anything. I've actually never had any personal beef with him (he's never said anything towards me), but it just gets pretty old reading his posts.

Here is the equation: Gopherhole poster + expressing opinion on x = Dr. Don post making fun of them saying they aren't an expert on x topic.

I've never seen a poster with 5,000+ posts say almost nothing at all...but Dr. Don might very well be the first.

Thanks for the shot, GV!

I've been asking for more three-point shooting and they came through yesterday. I'll take 8/19 from deep any day. Keep it coming.
That said, some of Minnesota's players took 15-20 foot jumpers that I could do without.

Yesterday was a strange game -- including for Michigan. Minnesota's problem was not shooting - in the second half they were lights out from the field and for the game they were just fine. The biggest issues were that Michigan got to the line more than MN and the Wolverines got a ton of rebounds off their own misses, while Minnesota didn't do the same.

It's Dr. Don's schtick.

Gets pretty tired if you ask me, but I've stopped responding to his posts...just because he rarely adds anything to the board, except comments about high school cheerleaders and making fun of GH posters for actually having an opinion on anything. I've actually never had any personal beef with him (he's never said anything towards me), but it just gets pretty old reading his posts.

Here is the equation: Gopherhole poster + expressing opinion on x = Dr. Don post making fun of them saying they aren't an expert on x topic.

I've never seen a poster with 5,000+ posts say almost nothing at all...but Dr. Don might very well be the first.

I should probably take my own advice and respect his opinion to not respect anyone's opinion.

Top Bottom