This is P.J. writing: Why are my offensive and defensive lines so thin?

The AD schedules 3 games. The conference schedules the rest. How would one go about scheduling 4 gimmies?

Nit pick much. Until last year it was 4. And the coach as we all know has a say in it.

The past coaching staff did a fine job of managing the classes. It just took them a couple of years to build up the classes after the mess that the Brew left. Remember that they didn't even have enough players to practice!

They have had problems with the
OL for years. And with the coaching changes they kept shifting the type of players they wanted so it is no surprise that they were thin. Also, the new staff has their idea of the type of player they wanted.

As for the DL, remember that they were beginning to shift to a 3-4 like Sconny did because it is easier to find good LB's then it is to find good DL's. So it makes sense that we would be heavy in the LB's and light on the DL's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The past coaching staff did a fine job of managing the classes. It just took them a couple of years to build up the classes after the mess that the Brew left. Remember that they didn't even have enough players to practice!

They have had problems with the
OL for years. And with the coaching changes they kept shifting the type of players they wanted so it is no surprise that they were thin. Also, the new staff has their idea of the type of player they wanted.

As for the DL, remember that they were beginning to shift to a 3-4 like Sconny did because it is easier to find good LB's then it is to find good DL's. So it makes sense that we would be heavy in the LB's and light on the DL's.

The "mess" Brewster left is widely exaggerated. Not enough players to practice was Kill's quote. I would argue that Kill started with more talent than Brewster did.

I sincerely want to thank GopherHomer for his serious, informed and polite reply. This is what one hopes to see on GopherHole. I think P.J. will be a much better recruiter than Kill and Claeys were. He's already shown this year he can start to do what GopherHomer discusses here--managing the roster.

Can you go back to your regular moniker Mr. Sock Puppet sir? Was that polite enough?

The "mess" Brewster left is widely exaggerated. Not enough players to practice was Kill's quote. I would argue that Kill started with more talent than Brewster did.

It is absolutely not exaggerated.

I kind of agree with your last point, Mason left the program an absolute mess.

However, Brew was awful at balancing classes and balancing positions.

8 is not a lot when you schedule 4 gimmies every year.

Actually three- they now have only 3 non conference games, and prior to that they had TCU 2 years in a row during their apex- hardly gimmes. And it's not like the majority of other teams don't make similar schedules.

Actually three- they now have only 3 non conference games, and prior to that they had TCU 2 years in a row during their apex- hardly gimmes. And it's not like the majority of other teams don't make similar schedules.

I'm just saying you can go 8-5 without ungodly coaching and recruiting.

I'm just saying you can go 8-5 without ungodly coaching and recruiting.

I don't think anyone thinks going 8-5 consistently at MN would require ungodly coaching or recruiting. I think it is just a sign that the coach is probably doing a decent job. It's not a high standard, but it's also not a standard we reach very often.

DT recruiting has been abysmal the last 3 years. PJ inherited a team with zero underclassmen DTs, hard to believe how that is even possible. DE has been better, but the last staff never managed to recruit or develop a really good pass rusher.

As for the O-line, there are bodies, but we lost our top 2 guys - Pirsig and Moore. The only reason we have some depth is because of all the JUCOs we took last year.

I sincerely want to thank GopherHomer for his serious, informed and polite reply. This is what one hopes to see on GopherHole. I think P.J. will be a much better recruiter than Kill and Claeys were. He's already shown this year he can start to do what GopherHomer discusses here--managing the roster.

c'mon, there's no room for this on the gopherhole:cool:

DT recruiting has been abysmal the last 3 years. PJ inherited a team with zero underclassmen DTs, hard to believe how that is even possible. DE has been better, but the last staff never managed to recruit or develop a really good pass rusher.

As for the O-line, there are bodies, but we lost our top 2 guys - Pirsig and Moore. The only reason we have some depth is because of all the JUCOs we took last year.

So the only reason we have depth is because the staff recruited guys who gave us depth.

Yeah, It looks like only three DTs were taken over the last 3 years, and one was a juco. PJ tried to address this, but I think he wanted a couple more that didn't pan out. It looks like Robinson has the size to contribute fairly early and the new juco will be important. Maybe Hickox and Iowa kid bulk up enough to jump inside. Hopefully he hits the DTs hard again this year.

Yeah, It looks like only three DTs were taken over the last 3 years, and one was a juco. PJ tried to address this, but I think he wanted a couple more that didn't pan out. It looks like Robinson has the size to contribute fairly early and the new juco will be important. Maybe Hickox and Iowa kid bulk up enough to jump inside. Hopefully he hits the DTs hard again this year.

The Iowa kid is absolutely going to be a DT.

On another thread, someone else made a good point about Colton Beebe possibly switching over. That wouldn't surprise me.

Top Bottom