This is one of the eyesores of Gopher...

Reaction score
football. When there is a HC change have you noticed the big time programs usually get it done in a couple of weeks. I believe it took Maturi 7 weeks to hire Brewster. ( Kiffin hired in 3 days) The U turns our HC search like it is hiring a professor for the Economis Department. This is why I am resigned to the fact that we will never be anything even remotely close to a year in year out top
20 program.

I get what you're saying, but who would be the coach now if they hired somebody on January 3rd of 2007? (Not sure when exactly Mason was canned, just ballparking it).

football. When there is a HC change have you noticed the big time programs usually get it done in a couple of weeks. I believe it took Maturi 7 weeks to hire Brewster. ( Kiffin hired in 3 days) The U turns our HC search like it is hiring a professor for the Economis Department. This is why I am resigned to the fact that we will never be anything even remotely close to a year in year out top
20 program.

I would rather have the U's hiring process and standards over those of USC and Kentucky. Winning at all costs is bankrupting college sports and I am glad the administration is not signing up.

They signed up when they fired Mason. If winning didn't matter, why would any coach EVER be fired (other than for slapping players around, major infractions, etc?)

20 program.

I agree that Maturi should have had his list of coaches he wanted and felt would accept prior to firing Mason, but is it really hard to understand why USC hired its coach in 3 days? Pretty girls aren't single very long...

I agree that Maturi should have had his list of coaches he wanted and felt would accept prior to firing Mason, but is it really hard to understand why USC hired its coach in 3 days? Pretty girls aren't single very long...
I'd put Kiffen in the "loose" category, which isn't exactly the same thing.

I'm curious if you rated your own thread as a 4star?

20 program.

I'm sorry, but how has anyone not jumped all over this nonsense? Brewster was hired on Jan 16th, 2007. Mason was fired on Dec 31st, 2006. Last time I checked this seems like 2 weeks, not 7. I'm not saying it wasn't a out of left field firing that lacked preparations for the next hire (b/c IMO it was). But it wasn't some super long drawn out we got rejected by our top 4 choices BS search.

I'd put Kiffen in the "loose" category, which isn't exactly the same thing.

USC was the pretty girl in my analogy, not Kiffin. And the more I'm thinking about it, the more the analogy works. How often do you see a pretty girl and think "Why is she with that *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#?" Kiffin is that *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

USC was the pretty girl in my analogy, not Kiffin. And the more I'm thinking about it, the more the analogy works. How often do you see a pretty girl and think "Why is she with that *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#?" Kiffin is that *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

Hahaha, really?!?! D-O-U-C-H-E gets bleeped?

I'm sorry, but how has anyone not jumped all over this nonsense? Brewster was hired on Jan 16th, 2007. Mason was fired on Dec 31st, 2006. Last time I checked this seems like 2 weeks, not 7. I'm not saying it wasn't a out of left field hiring that lacked preparations for the next hire (b/c IMO it was). But it wasn't some super long drawn out we got rejected by our top 4 choices BS search.

+1 Good job on the corrections.

Aha. In that case, you're right on the money.

If Pete Carrol was dirty, it seems like Kiffin is just more of the same. At least he seems
like kind of a loose cannon.

I don't rate threads and by the way

I'm curious if you rated your own thread as a 4star?

What is a monk10? ( asked before) Is it your rating at the Abby for bread making. If your a "10"
send me over rasin rye.

I'm sorry, but how has anyone not jumped all over this nonsense? Brewster was hired on Jan 16th, 2007. Mason was fired on Dec 31st, 2006. Last time I checked this seems like 2 weeks, not 7. I'm not saying it wasn't a out of left field firing that lacked preparations for the next hire (b/c IMO it was). But it wasn't some super long drawn out we got rejected by our top 4 choices BS search.

Actually, I was Jan 1 or 2 when Mason was fired.

You also have to remember that minnesota sports is not going to throw 5 million or whatever Kiffin is getting paid, to our head coach. It narrows down our search a little. If Brewster leaves/is fired, we are not making calls to guys who are getting paid top dollar at where they are alread at. We are forced to look a little longer into who we want to hire. When money is not an object it makes things a lot easier.

You also have to remember that minnesota sports is not going to throw 5 million or whatever Kiffin is getting paid, to our head coach. It narrows down our search a little. If Brewster leaves/is fired, we are not making calls to guys who are getting paid top dollar at where they are alread at. We are forced to look a little longer into who we want to hire. When money is not an object it makes things a lot easier.

You speaketh the truth!

There is also a big difference in having a stadium that is generating some nice money vs operating in the dome and not making very much money. If definately changes the opportunities that you have.

Top Bottom