This is Devoe's team

Reaction score
Devoe has taken this team over. I feel so much better when he is on the floor and I love the outlook for the next couple years with him at the helm!!!

What's your problem? He hit a couple clutch 3's and a bunch of FT to help win the game....

I liked how he sounded in the interview after the game. Seemed humble and a good kid from what I could tell.

Well...saying this is "Devoe's team" might be taking it a little far...he has pretty much been non-existent for 80% of our games this year in all honesty.

He is played out of his mind at times tonight...but keep some perspective...

Devoe stepped up when the team needed it. There is nothing left to discuss.

Well...saying this is "Devoe's team" might be taking it a little far...he has pretty much been non-existent for 95% of our games this year in all honesty.

He is played out of his mind at times tonight...but keep some perspective...

75%, but EXACTLY.

Well...saying this is "Devoe's team" might be taking it a little far...he has pretty much been non-existent for 95% of our games this year in all honesty

Please. Wake up and watch the recent games. This team started playing well when Devoe started playing well. Over our past 5 games we are 4-1

16 points @ Ill W
5 pts @ Mich L
17 pts against Iowa W
15 Points against PSU W
17 Points against MSU W

Throw out the game where the entire team sucked and Devoe is our leader right now.

Devoe is Awesome

Nevermind the fact that he isn't a PG.

Nevermind the fact that he plays 35+ minutes in way too many games.

Do you have any idea how much energy it takes and how intense it is to handle the ball against D1 defenses?

He is not the best defensive player, but I have never NOT seen him give 100% on defense, guarding such slouches as K. Lucas, T. Hughes, Demetrius hot head from the Illini, Evan Turner, Manny Harris, Verdell Jones, etc...

Give the kid some credit

Devoe right now has the look of a winner.

I'm starting to see that too. It's amazing how confident he has become (in the best of ways), when just a few months ago he was really struggling. It seemed like the team really looked to him at the end and in OT, and he responded.

This team desperately needed a leader. It looks like Devoe has put the team on his back and become that leader.

Nevermind the fact that he isn't a PG.

I agree with your post, but have a question. Why "isn't" Devoe a PG? I mean, what does that mean? If he is to ever play at a level higher than D1, he'll need to be a PG, won't he?

Everyone here says that PG is not Devoe's "natural" position. I don't even really think that makes any sense. Does it?

I just wish Devoe would pick his head up a little more at the end of games when we play not to lose and he dribbles the entire possession and then throws up a deep contested 3. Fortunately he made them in ot

Rouser is spot on. When Nolan left, Devoe was throw to the wolves. He is getting better and better. The future is bright. Now, how could his brother Corey watch this game and not want to come to the U and play with his bro?

I agree with your post, but have a question. Why "isn't" Devoe a PG? I mean, what does that mean? If he is to ever play at a level higher than D1, he'll need to be a PG, won't he?

Everyone here says that PG is not Devoe's "natural" position. I don't even really think that makes any sense. Does it?

I also think that shooting guard is his natural position, which IMO is exactly why he was struggling earlier on when he was playing point guard. He needed time to adjust to the point guard position and he has done a great job. He is a very good mid-range shooter and has been shooting great from long range recently. He's a natural scorer and IMO would work well off the ball in a scoring role. It's not natural for him to be the guy to set up his teammates as his first proiority (not that he can't do it, he just has a scorers mentality). I guess you could call him a scoring point guard, but I still think he's a natural shooting guard even if he's undersized. All three major scouting services listed him as a shooting guard FWIW.

Yes it does make sense. His skill set is more aligned with the SG role. Long range shooting, jumpers of the dribble/that turn-around move, have all worked for him as a PG, but would be just as effective as a SG. Some of his weaker traits, though, would be less exposed at SG than at PG, mainly defense and ball handling (which he has improved a lot on...but I think it is SG good right now, not PG good).

That said, positions can be altered and changed. Magic Johnson could play everywhere. That great Illinois team from a few years back had 2 PG's Dee Brown and Daren Williams playing together all the time. Get a squad of five out there with talent and chemistry, and things will work out.

And just because Devoe is better suited for SG doesn't mean he shouldn't play PG. He runs to high pick and roll better than Al, IMO (He at least looks for a slip screen!). If we have the same troubles with Al and getting the offense set up as we have in the past, maybe we see Devoe at PG. I just think that Devoe can be the go-to-guy and control the halfcourt offense as a SG just as well as he is now, but leaving the press-breaking and lock down defense to a more traditional PG (Nolen).

Yes it does make sense. His skill set is more aligned with the SG role. Long range shooting, jumpers of the dribble/that turn-around move, have all worked for him as a PG, but would be just as effective as a SG. Some of his weaker traits, though, would be less exposed at SG than at PG, mainly defense and ball handling (which he has improved a lot on...but I think it is SG good right now, not PG good).

That said, positions can be altered and changed.

I appreciate the thoughtful reply. I hear ya on the defensive end of the floor. But I'm still not convinced on the rest. Point guards can shoot from long range, they can shoot off the dribble, they can make turn-around moves. His ball handling has improved dramatically in just 6 weeks. I see no reason to think he has reached his peak there. He's handled an awful lot of pressure defense with very few turnovers. Isn't that worth something? He's also arguably run the half-court offense much better than Al, except for when the opposition cranks up the defensive pressure to 11.

There's nothing "natural" about him playing PG, in my opinion. It's just that he hasn't done it. If he wants to play pro ball, he will need to be a PG, won't he? This Al Nolen thing could be the best break he's ever gotten.

I appreciate the thoughtful reply. I hear ya on the defensive end of the floor. But I'm still not convinced on the rest. Point guards can shoot from long range, they can shoot off the dribble, they can make turn-around moves. His ball handling has improved dramatically in just 6 weeks. I see no reason to think he has reached his peak there. He's handled an awful lot of pressure defense with very few turnovers. Isn't that worth something? He's also arguably run the half-court offense much better than Al, except for when the opposition cranks up the defensive pressure to 11.

There's nothing "natural" about him playing PG, in my opinion. It's just that he hasn't done it. If he wants to play pro ball, he will need to be a PG, won't he? This Al Nolen thing could be the best break he's ever gotten.

Maybe you are getting hung up on the "natural" part of the argument? In my mind, saying someone is a natural position is based on their skill set, and finding a position whose usual role uses the players strengths and isn't reliant on their weaknesses. Devoe has made large strides in some areas since switching to PG, but the scoring aspect of his game is still his major strength. It is true that he has limited turnovers in the face of pressure, but saying he is not a natural PG isn't saying he isn't able do things like that. It's just that usually you want your PG to attack the pressure, hopefully causing the defense to rotate, letting the PG kick to an open player. I'm sure Devoe can do this, or at least learn to do it well, but I'd rather have him being the one catching the ball in a dangerous position than passing it to that person, because his scoring is his best trait. That's how I would explain the natural SG argument.

Sure, there are some PG that are more scorers than distributors or defenders, but usually that team has some player with those traits at a different position. Nolen is the only lock down defender we have returning, and is the best guy at getting into the lane and passing (got to work on finishing though). Problem is Nolen is not a good enough shooter to play SG, he has to play point. If Devoe is at point, where is the defense going to come from? That is my biggest concern.

What up with the last play of the game Devoe? He even said during the post game interview that Tubby got on him for it. He was dribbling the ball with under 3 or 4 seconds left and he let Lucas easily take the ball from him and can a three at the buzzer while Devoe was smiling and celebrating. Not sure I have ever seen such disinterest in protecting the ball at the end of a hard fought - still fairly close OT game.

Tubby was 'coaching' him after the game after Tubby's post game interview and before Devoe's post game interview. According to Devoe, Tubby told him to "take care of the ball." No way we win without Devoe, but take care of the ball would ya, and all throughout the game as well.

I might be alone on this but I would like to have seen Westbrook be the guy taking the last second shot at the end of regulation. Leave aside the atrocious LW turnover in the back court though - I think LW deserves some final end-game dramatic opportunities - he has shown some success at this in the past. Devoe is trying to take on the leadership of this team - it would be great if Devoe could somehow learn to use some of LW's and his teammates considerable skills and help to put LW and the team in a better position to succeed.

All that said - great game by Devoe.

What up with the last play of the game Devoe? He even said during the post game interview that Tubby got on him for it. He was dribbling the ball with under 3 or 4 seconds left and he let Lucas easily take the ball from him and can a three at the buzzer while Devoe was smiling and celebrating. Not sure I have ever seen such disinterest in protecting the ball at the end of a hard fought - still fairly close OT game.

Tubby was 'coaching' him after the game after Tubby's post game interview and before Devoe's post game interview. According to Devoe, Tubby told him to "take care of the ball." No way we win without Devoe, but take care of the ball would ya, and all throughout the game as well.

I might be alone on this but I would like to have seen Westbrook be the guy taking the last second shot at the end of regulation. Leave aside the atrocious LW turnover in the back court though - I think LW deserves some final end-game dramatic opportunities - he has shown some success at this in the past. Devoe is trying to take on the leadership of this team - it would be great if Devoe could somehow learn to use some of LW's and his teammates considerable skills and help to put LW and the team in a better position to succeed.

All that said - great game by Devoe.

Westbrook makes me extremely nervous at the end of games and I don't even like him to be on the court in the clutch, he does something stupid far to often and turns it over. Devoe is the only player on our team with Ice in his veins, he is a cold blooded assassin and believes those shots are going in, even the announcers picked up on that with his free throw shooting taking the ball from the refs.

Devoe had a great game yesterday, but I have to ask you, did you like Colt's game yesterday? You expected him to disappear if IIRC. Colt would probably like a little love from you too.

I disagree precisely because of incidents the atrocious TO you reference (which was later given a +1000 by that idiotic circle dribble TO in overtime). He managed to mis-dribble and hand over the ball while only under moderate (at best) pressure. With 3.3 on the clock you need the person receiving the ball to be strong and without risk of handing it back when pressured (which you will be unless you are playing Michigan).

Had there been more time I totally agree that we should have looked for him for a shot. He's proven to be pretty clutch in those scenarios. But its not Devoes fault that we couldn't get him a look. He was getting double teamed while trying to go the length of the floor with 3.3 seconds left.

Devoe had a great game yesterday, but I have to ask you, did you like Colt's game yesterday? You expected him to disappear if IIRC. Colt would probably like a little love from you too

You did RC. I loved Colt's game yesterday. He was exactly what we needed. A rugged big who competed on the inside, and more importantly GOT SOME INSIDE SCORING. I will gladly admit I was totally wrong about C45 against Sparty.

Top Bottom