This Iowa game is a BFG

Stan

Reaction score
I'm not sure if we're good or not. Blew out two bad teams, lost to a solid P4 team after missing 2 FGs and just playing OK. But I think we have a shot to be better than most expected and this Iowa game is a BIG FN GAME to determine if we can do something big this year. Beating Iowa back to back years would be huge, casual fans would take notice and it gives us buffer with a tough few weeks ahead. Lose this one and we are starring 2-4 in the face. Obviously its a week to week sport and our goal is to be 1-0 in the Iowa Championship Season, but this is a big opportunity.

I'm already working on drafts of my official thread post. I need to meet the moment. It's not lost on me.

This game is a huge game for many reasons:

• This is 110% PJ's roster. These are his guys and his system. We need to matchup (and better) physically and athletically against Iowa across all teams.
  • Let's see if our passing game can ball out. If we can toss the ball around the field and hit those deep crosses and fades, I'll have a lot of confidence going into the next few weeks.
  • This is do or die for our front 7. We have an elite d-line and let's see if our LB corps is ready to go to war with this Iowa running game. Their RB is no joke and I hope our boys brought their big boy pants
  • Kesich missed two big FG's against Iowa and in this several week stretch we'll need him to keep us in or win games.

Go Gophs.Y'all know there's no reason f'ing Iowa City should have a better football program than us

I've lived in Des Moines area for 40 plus years. I just love to bet the frickin Iowegians. It doesn't happen nearly enough. It really should happen this year.

A home game against a good, not great opponent. These are games the Gophers should win. There are teams that have been down, below us that are gaining serious momentum. Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska & Northwestern are on the upswing. Rutgers is, too. It would be a bad look if we started losing ground to these teams this deep into PJ's tenure.

From a Hawkeye fan site. This guy apparently knows that several of the Iowa wins against PJ have been the result of our missed chances in games played with a razor thin margin, rather than Iowa’s dominance. Fix it this year.IMG_7444.jpeg

From a Hawkeye fan site. This guy apparently knows that several of the Iowa wins against PJ have been the result of our missed chances in games played with a razor thin margin, rather than Iowa’s dominance. Fix it this year.View attachment 33638
This is actually a perfect recap of the Minnesota/Iowa rivalry. Hope his score is wrong - but both teams HATE beating each other and will try nearly everything to lose the game.

Lots of fluke plays in the past - best running back in recent school history having a career game and fumbles in the closing minutes inside the 20. Fast forward a year later, and Cooper DeJean, who was an absolute stud, made an amazing punt return only to have it negated due to him waving his arms and suddenly every Iowa and Minnesota fan became an expert on Valid and Invalid Fair Catches.

Last edited:

It COULD BE a Crossroads game for the program. Lose and maybe only win 2 more games all year? Win, playing really well, and build momentum. Maybe only lose 2 more games all year?

In the last 20 matchups, we have won 5 times and two in the last 10 years. Cannot be disappointed to lose, but shocking to win.

Top Bottom