This happen to anyone else? (Warning - Brewster mention!)

GopherFBfan

Reaction score
This could get lengthy, but I'm wondering if this happened with anyone else?

Up until the Tim Brewster era, I would have called myself a casual fan. I didn't go to any games and if I happened upon a game on tv, I'd usually watch it, unless it was a blow out. I wasn't a fan of any other college program, I just didn't follow college football that much. The day that Brewster was hired that all changed. I was drinking the kool-aid and thought he was going to be the greatest coach on earth! The talk of going to the Rose Bowl and bringing in all these awesome recruits "got me". From that day, I started checking this board (and others) daily. Trying to stay on top of who the next "big" recruit was going to be. I read everything I could possibly read. I still do, but I've learned (from Brew), that stars don't equate to much if they aren't properly coached and given stability. The constant turnover of his coordinators and assistants had me curious and it all makes sense to me now, but it wasn't until his third year that I realized that a change was going to happen sooner, rather than later.

Then it happened, he was fired! The coach that hooked me on Gopher Football was gone! And to be honest, I was excited to see him go. He gave his best effort, and like so many others before him, he failed.

The search for a new coach came and I was researching all the names that were being mentioned here hoping for that home-run hire that they talked of. My first reaction was Jerry Kill who? Who is this guy!? A MAC coach? What?! Anyways, it didn't take long and I was on board with him.
A winning record as a HEAD coach, a stable coaching staff, and a guy that has turned around programs at each of his stops. Ok, works for me!

To this day, I'm still on board with Coach Kill. I think despite what some are saying, he will get things turned around, his way. If Coach kill hadn't done this before, I'd be a little skeptical, but this isn't his first time around! That gives me hope that it will get better. I think it is safe to say that some improvement has been seen this year and I hope that carries over to next year and beyond. Time will tell I guess!

So, thanks Brewster for getting me "hooked" on Gopher FB! Without him ever having his chance at turning things around, I'm not sure I'd be sitting here typing this. Through thick and thin, wins and losses, I'll always be a Gopher FB fan!

Go Gophers!

Up until the Tim Brewster era, I would have called myself a casual fan. I didn't go to any games and if I happened upon a game on tv, I'd usually watch it, unless it was a blow out. I wasn't a fan of any other college program, I just didn't follow college football that much. The day that Brewster was hired that all changed. I was drinking the kool-aid and thought he was going to be the greatest coach on earth! The talk of going to the Rose Bowl and bringing in all these awesome recruits "got me". From that day, I started checking this board (and others) daily. Trying to stay on top of who the next "big" recruit was going to be. I read everything I could possibly read. I still do, but I've learned (from Brew), that stars don't equate to much if they aren't properly coached and given stability. The constant turnover of his coordinators and assistants had me curious and it all makes sense to me now, but it wasn't until his third year that I realized that a change was going to happen sooner, rather than later.

Then it happened, he was fired! The coach that hooked me on Gopher Football was gone! And to be honest, I was excited to see him go. He gave his best effort, and like so many others before him, he failed.

The search for a new coach came and I was researching all the names that were being mentioned here hoping for that home-run hire that they talked of. My first reaction was Jerry Kill who? Who is this guy!? A MAC coach? What?! Anyways, it didn't take long and I was on board with him.
A winning record as a HEAD coach, a stable coaching staff, and a guy that has turned around programs at each of his stops. Ok, works for me!

To this day, I'm still on board with Coach Kill. I think despite what some are saying, he will get things turned around, his way. If Coach kill hadn't done this before, I'd be a little skeptical, but this isn't his first time around! That gives me hope that it will get better. I think it is safe to say that some improvement has been seen this year and I hope that carries over to next year and beyond. Time will tell I guess!

So, thanks Brewster for getting me "hooked" on Gopher FB! Without him ever having his chance at turning things around, I'm not sure I'd be sitting here typing this. Through thick and thin, wins and losses, I'll always be a Gopher FB fan!

Go Gophers!

Nice post. Brewster got people excited = that was/is still a positive. It obviously didn't work out the way anyone wanted, but no one should hold the excitement part against him.

I love your enthusiasm, GopherFBfan. I'm confident that yours, like mine, will be rewarded someday soon!

GopherFBfan, that has pretty much been my experience exactly. I would watch 1-2 games per season and read the box scores/stories int the Strib but that was about it. I got really excited when Brewster showed up and I have been hooked ever since even though I became disillusioned with him. I still like Kill a lot at this point.

Exact same for me, except it happened when Glen beat #2 ranked PSU and Lavar Arrington. Was very happy to see him go. Wanted Charlie Strong, but Brew's first full recruiting class had me sold. Then he dumped the spread after touting it all the time and I began to wonder....

GopherFBfan

It is nice to know that there are new fans out there who that are able to be positive and enjoy Gopher football. I have been a fan since the early 50's and still enjoy it but we need more new fans like you to replace all the old farts who are now afraid to be positive and enjoy the journey. Thanks.

It is nice to know that there are new fans out there who that are able to be positive and enjoy Gopher football. I have been a fan since the early 50's and still enjoy it but we need more new fans like you to replace all the young farts who are afraid to be positive and enjoy the journey. Thanks.

FIFY, Killjoy.

Go Gophers!

Well written and well said. +1. Glad to have you on board with the rest of us for the LONG HAUL. BTW - Ignore the childish, cynical, sarcastic crap that I am sure some of the local yokels on the board will post in response to your story.

Go Gophers!

I always thought there would be others with similar situations to mine. Neat to see. Although I'm new here, I've been following Gopherhole for a long time and I don't think I've seen a thread on this topic. I plan to be more active now and into the future. This is the first and sometimes only place I go to see the latest info! Great site, and with the exception of a few trolls, great members who all share one common interest. The Gophers!

Can someone explain to me why the expectation for Jerry to turn around this program completely around in 19 games exists? You would think the sky is falling in dinkytown. This thread should not even exists as it implies Jerry is treading hot water right now! People got their expectations too high after the non conference. Lets remember, we are Minnesota, not Florida or Texas or Oklahoma. It takes time to build something here. That does not mean the potential doesn't exists however.

Can someone explain to me why the expectation for Jerry to turn around this program completely around in 19 games exists? You would think the sky is falling in dinkytown. This thread should not even exists as it implies Jerry is treading hot water right now! People got their expectations too high after the non conference. Lets remember, we are Minnesota, not Florida or Texas or Oklahoma. It takes time to build something here. That does not mean the potential doesn't exists however.

I'm sorry, but WHAT exactly are you talking about??! Nowhere did myself or anyone else bring any negativity to this topic! Perhaps you should go back and read it again! I don't want Coach Kill to go anywhere! I like what he has done to this point and think if we hang on, we will be rewarded. He was given a mess, and you are right, the program will not get turned around in 19 games. It will take time, just like you said, and I'm ready for the ride!

My bad after seeing so many threads with the "what the hell is Jerry doing" type of tone to it I kind of just reacted haha if we win this week against Purdue (don't think it will happen) all the opinions of the program and Kill will change. Its week to week in the college football universe

You won't see many negative posts from me, if any. There is enough of that here already. I will always try to remember (and wish others would think this way as well) that recruits probably watch these boards as much as our fans do. If I were a recruit, the last thing I want to see is a bunch of people whining and bashing the program.

good post. a lot of us were hoping TB was the real deal even though his style did not fit MN. Unfortunately, he had no idea about how to build a good program other than recruiting, and that died after 2008. Anyway, I do think Kill and his stafrf will at least get us back to the maosn level, and I think probably better than that because they will actually have dbacks who can cover and the occasional good pass rushing DE. This program was a real mess, some very good coaches Alvarez and Ferentz come to mind, did not do much until year four. That is hard to listen to, but in fact that is what I expect as well for us.

Originally Posted by Killjoy
It is nice to know that there are new fans out there who that are able to be positive and enjoy Gopher football. I have been a fan since the early 50's and still enjoy it but we need more new fans like you to replace all the young farts who are afraid to be positive and enjoy the journey. Thanks.

FIFY, Killjoy.

Dr.Don - My comments were addressed to "old farts" who can be either young or old. Another words being an "old fart" is a state of mind not age. Therefore it certainly does not include you. I have always thought of you as being young at heart.

I can only speak for myself, but my disappointment in the first three conference games is not that we lost, it was in the way that we lost. Iowa and Wisconsin flat-out manhandled us, which I somewhat expected. But we should have beaten Northwestern if not for the sloppy play. And even while being manhandled, we made a bunch of preventable mistakes in the Iowa and Wisconsin games. I don't care how young a team is, the rules of football are pretty clear and these guys learned how to line up the first time the put on pads. Even in the games we won, I thought the only one in which we played crisply was the Syracuse game. I thought Kill would have them playing a sharper brand of football, especially after they looked sharp ending last season.

I'm patient. Kill is going to get his chance and I basically like what he's doing. But cancelling the North Carolina series was a big PR blunder that has probably shortened his rope with the casual fan base. The only head-scratching part of the Nelson decision is why he wasn't playing right after Gray got hurt. If he's our best chance to win now, he was our best chance when Gray went down.

But I'm on board. Have been since the early 1960s and always will be. I've soured on the pro game and I love the Gophers.

Dr.Don - My comments were addressed to "old farts" who can be either young or old. Another words being an "old fart" is a state of mind not age. Therefore it certainly does not include you. I have always thought of you as being young at heart.

Dr. Don, now you've forced me to contemplate whether I'm an "Old Fart" or an "Old "Old Fart"".

I was a pretty casual fan myself until around the time Brewster took over. I probably went to a game once every 3 or 4 years. Since I moved back to the midwest, I now try to go to at least one or two every year. I don't know if it was only Brewster, but I definitely became addicted around the time he was hired.

Or maybe young at fart.

Top Bottom