This goes out to Doogie, Wren, and The Loon

husker70

Reaction score
The Gopher Football team will go 9-3 this year. And a certain Cretin player will sign with Gophers.

What will you do, what will you write? What speculation will you have about extensions and Coach Brewster's job. This will not be a soft 9-3. There are no directional schools. This is the big time schedule you and your ilk have chided the U year in and out. And now its here and you are strangely silent on that. It was Coach Brewster who wanted Big time non conference games, and you give him and Maturi little credit. Coach Brewster is right recruits want to know who they play, and to be the best you have to play the best. This is contrary to every other Big 10 School.

The other thing no one is giving Coach Brewster and the Staff any credit for, is the lack of off the field problems. That didn't just happen, Coach Brewster isn't just lucky.

And those who chime on about the coach staff turnover, point to it as a sign of a lack of stability. There are no evaluations as to wether the staff is as good, or better. And how does the Strategy change to Pound The Rock
affect the defense. They have no clue.

And with the 9-3 record all speculation of program direction, contract extensions, and Maturi's legacy will be mute.

The Gopher Football team will go 9-3 this year. And a certain Cretin player will sign with Gophers.

What will you do, what will you write? What speculation will you have about extensions and Coach Brewster's job. This will not be a soft 9-3. There are no directional schools. This is the big time schedule you and your ilk have chided the U year in and out. And now its here and you are strangely silent on that. It was Coach Brewster who wanted Big time non conference games, and you give him and Maturi little credit. Coach Brewster is right recruits want to know who they play, and to be the best you have to play the best. This is contrary to every other Big 10 School.

The other thing no one is giving Coach Brewster and the Staff any credit for, is the lack of off the field problems. That didn't just happen, Coach Brewster isn't just lucky.

And those who chime on about the coach staff turnover, point to it as a sign of a lack of stability. There are no evaluations as to wether the staff is as good, or better. And how does the Strategy change to Pound The Rock
affect the defense. They have no clue.

And with the 9-3 record all speculation of program direction, contract extensions, and Maturi's legacy will be mute.

I applaud your optimism but seriously what time did you start drinking today? Also, Ohio State playing the likes of Texas and USC recently is not exactly a cupcake schedule so I wouldn't say that no other Big 10 teams are playing tough OOC opponents. You are correct that we do not know yet whether the new staff will be better or worse, however we do know that the players are again having to learn new terminology and philosophies which when in the learning stages makes it difficult for a player to simply read and react. In the case of Adam Weber his delivery is being changed, in addition to new terminology and now having to make drops instead of just scanning the field from the shotgun. This will be a huge change for him and I would expect it to be rocky at times. It is reasons like this why it is good to have stability in your coaching staff and the majority of perenially successful programs are those that have stability in their coaching staffs. We may go 9-3 as you suggested but then again I may win the powerball tomorrow night as well, I just don't see either happening however.

Before last season started, I made a famous prediction on the Star and Tribune site that we'd win 8 games in 08 and 10 games in 09. I was laughed at right away because no one thought after winning only one game the year before that we would even come close to 8wins. No one is laughing anymore after we won 7 games. Once again I put my life on the line this time with a 10 win prediction.

I hate to keep bringing it up, but if Joel Monroe makes a 20-yd field goal against Northwestern, the Gophers win 9 or 10 games last year. I think this season turns for the better after an upset in Happy Valley or Columbus.

I don't understand how anyone could lump Doogie in with those other two dolts. None are fans of Brewster, but at least Doogie will discuss it like a rational human being - the others are certifiably insane.

to piggy back PlayHosea: 9-3 would not be allowed to just exist as 9-3. Each game would be dissected and a few of the 9 wins would be tossed out due to luck, happenstance, weather and on and on. Long/short of it....there will always be something to write.

Coaching turnover happens all the time in college football....and guess what? As you get better the more it will happen.
I was watching OSU game on TV the otherday and Mark Dantonio was OSU's DC. Did OSU suffer with a coaching change? Nope. Is Florida going to suffer from Mullen's taking the Mississippii State job? Not at all.

Get use to it. Brewster certainly isn't making excuses for the staff turnover, so why are we?

Not sure what Doogie did to deserve this wrath. He sounds to me like a guy looking at Brew's situation with a rational perspective.

There's no question in my mind that Year 3 (for better or worse) will tell us a great deal more about Brew in terms of direction of the program. Brew scored major points with me with his willingness to upgrade the nonconference schedule (I hope Tubby follows suit, eventually), and the increased OOC schedule strength certainly should be looked at when evaluating Brew. No longer are the Gophers guaranteed to be 4-0 outside of the Big 10 (standard MO for Glen). I like that a lot.

Now Rambler and Loon, that's entirely different. Those guys are just plain from outer space.

Amen

The Gophers are our team and Tim Brewster is our coach. I love the optimism. Everyone keeps talking about how many "IFS" we have as a team and thats why no one sees us going anywhere. To me there is only one IF: can our offensive line mesh. Maybe thats a big if and maybe its not, but its only one. IF our offensive line turns out the sky is the limit for this team.

Maybe im crazy but if being optomistic is wrong, baby I dont want to be right.

Brewster on!

Michigan State is one of only 5-6 teams in FBS (1A) that has never played an FCS (1AA) school. They also play Notre Dame every year, which until about 7-8 years ago was a big deal.

Coaching turnover happens all the time in college football....and guess what? As you get better the more it will happen.
I was watching OSU game on TV the otherday and Mark Dantonio was OSU's DC. Did OSU suffer with a coaching change? Nope. Is Florida going to suffer from Mullen's taking the Mississippii State job? Not at all.

Get use to it. Brewster certainly isn't making excuses for the staff turnover, so why are we?

A couple of noticeable differences between Dantonio and Mullen leaving OSU and Florida is that they were both replaced by coaches already on those staffs so less likely to see much change in philosophies, terminology, etc. That is called developing your staff so that if someone leaves for a promotion they are people in the wings ready to step in and carry on without missing a beat and therby minimizing the impact of staff turnover. Also, most of our staff turnover has not been because the coach got a promotion and leaving for a better opportunity, they were either fired or made a lateral move at best. Having excessive staff turnover is disruptive and not good for the program and it is a big deal and something that Minnesota has to figure out a way to stop. In fact this year at the national coaches association meetings both Joe Paterno and Tom Osborne spoke about how the stability and continuity of their staffs played a major role in their successes and they probably know a little more about building a winning program than you, me, or Brewster so I will take they're word on it.

A couple of noticeable differences between Dantonio and Mullen leaving OSU and Florida is that they were both replaced by coaches already on those staffs so less likely to see much change in philosophies, terminology, etc. That is called developing your staff so that if someone leaves for a promotion they are people in the wings ready to step in and carry on without missing a beat and therby minimizing the impact of staff turnover. Also, most of our staff turnover has not been because the coach got a promotion and leaving for a better opportunity, they were either fired or made a lateral move at best. Having excessive staff turnover is disruptive and not good for the program and it is a big deal and something that Minnesota has to figure out a way to stop. In fact this year at the national coaches association meetings both Joe Paterno and Tom Osborne spoke about how the stability and continuity of their staffs played a major role in their successes and they probably know a little more about building a winning program than you, me, or Brewster so I will take they're word on it.

So, you would characterize going from a salary of $300,000 per year to $650,000 per year "a lateral move at best"?

made a lateral move at best

?

4 consecutive top-15 finishes (and one 5-7 season) > 28-34 record last five seasons
SEC > Big Ten
88 k seat stadium > 50 k seat stadium
Rabid fan base > apathetic and fair weather fan base
Huge booster support > usually having to pull teeth to do what you want to do
Some of the best HS athletes in the country within a few hours' drive > mediocre local recruiting base
Being back in the part of the country where you've lived virtually your entire life > Being in a part of the country that you're unfamiliar with and have lived one year
$370 k > $350 k

You're right, though; "lateral move". :rolleyes:

?

4 consecutive top-15 finishes (and one 5-7 season) > 28-34 record last five seasons
SEC > Big Ten
88 k seat stadium > 50 k seat stadium
Rabid fan base > apathetic and fair weather fan base
Huge booster support > usually having to pull teeth to do what you want to do
Some of the best HS athletes in the country within a few hours' drive > mediocre local recruiting base
Being back in the part of the country where you've lived virtually your entire life > Being in a part of the country that you're unfamiliar with and have lived one year
$370 k > $350 k

You're right, though; "lateral move". :rolleyes:

Poor reading comprehension on your part, I said most, not all. Was George McDonald leaving a coaching position for a quality control position a promotion, I guess that is up for debate. When you add in Meyer and Dunbar, that is 3 who left the program by either termination or a lateral move, versus 2 (Roof, Withers) who left for a "promotion", 3 >2, therefore most. Whether you like it or not a stable coaching staff bodes well for a program and leads to greater success on the field and as much as you try and minimize the turnover it cannot be overlooked. If you are okay with having 1 or more coaches leave every year that is up to you but I am not.

Is anybody else concerned about USC this year?

USC's Defensive Coordinator left to take the DC job at Washington. They promoted their secondary coach to DC to maintain some continuity in scheme and terminology.

USC also lost their OC. In his place they hired a new OC that comes from the Denver Broncos that is only 33 years old. Aside from hiring a new OC they hired a new co-head coach of offense that was out of football last year. How are they going to implement a completely new offense? Aren't they going to struggle with all the new terminology?

If you didn't notice, the similarities to our situation are eerie. Change a few things for our situation: change DC leaving for 'Washington' to 'Auburn'; change promoting DB's coach to 'DC' to 'co-DC'; change hiring longtime veteran that was out of football last year from 'co-head coach offense' to 'co-DC' and change the age of the new OC that comes from the Denver Broncos to 32 instead of 33.

I'm not trying to make light of the risk that goes along with coaching turnover but the reality is that it does happen at other places too.

Given Brewster total lack of experience he was always going to need strong and stable staff of assistants and coordinators. For reasons that are at least somewhat his fault he has had the exact opposite. It is a more of a problem for a coach like Brewster (no experience, no real specialty, mostly a cheerleader / slogan type) than for some other guys.

Is anybody else concerned about USC this year?

USC's Defensive Coordinator left to take the DC job at Washington. They promoted their secondary coach to DC to maintain some continuity in scheme and terminology.

USC also lost their OC. In his place they hired a new OC that comes from the Denver Broncos that is only 33 years old. Aside from hiring a new OC they hired a new co-head coach of offense that was out of football last year. How are they going to implement a completely new offense? Aren't they going to struggle with all the new terminology?

If you didn't notice, the similarities to our situation are eerie. Change a few things for our situation: change DC leaving for 'Washington' to 'Auburn'; change promoting DB's coach to 'DC' to 'co-DC'; change hiring longtime veteran that was out of football last year from 'co-head coach offense' to 'co-DC' and change the age of the new OC that comes from the Denver Broncos to 32 instead of 33.

I'm not trying to make light of the risk that goes along with coaching turnover but the reality is that it does happen at other places too.

It does happen other places, but the difference being that Pete Carroll has been a head coach for many years and has significantly more experience. I would venture to say that there are many more examples where stability leads to greater success in a program than constant change and turnover. I don't claim to be an expert and as such will trust the wisdom of two hall of fame coaches when they talk about how vital it is to the success of a program.

I see where you are trying to go here, but those situations are not quite the same as the Gophers. First, both programs were successful before and after those coaches came and went, and they have so much talent to work with that an argument could be made about whether or not those assistants made the program or were made by the program.

When our program gets to the level where we have assistants moving on to be division I head coaches, I will be a very happy Gopher fan.

I hope you're right...9-wins could/should get them into the Outback Bowl...playing on New Year's Day would be super...and 9-wins + Henderson would make this a viable college football market -- something it hasn't been in a very long time...I would like nothing more than for college football to be relevant again here.

Before last season started, I made a famous prediction on the Star and Tribune site that we'd win 8 games in 08 and 10 games in 09. I was laughed at right away because no one thought after winning only one game the year before that we would even come close to 8wins. No one is laughing anymore after we won 7 games. Once again I put my life on the line this time with a 10 win prediction.

You say the same thing every year and you've yet to A) be correct or B) honor your ultimatums.

It does happen other places, but the difference being that Pete Carroll has been a head coach for many years and has significantly more experience. I would venture to say that there are many more examples where stability leads to greater success in a program than constant change and turnover. I don't claim to be an expert and as such will trust the wisdom of two hall of fame coaches when they talk about how vital it is to the success of a program.
I see where you are trying to go here, but those situations are not quite the same as the Gophers. First, both programs were successful before and after those coaches came and went, and they have so much talent to work with that an argument could be made about whether or not those assistants made the program or were made by the program.

When our program gets to the level where we have assistants moving on to be division I head coaches, I will be a very happy Gopher fan.

I will pretty much agree with GG and TWeber - the situations are different. SoCal has superior athletes at most every position as compared with us. Gutey used to say that he was became a good coach when he got to coach Bruce Smith at Va Tech. That being said, I think that within 2 or 3 games our guys should be pretty well schooled to the new coach's ways.

Please re-read his pst, he never said you said ALL you tool!

If he understood that I didn't say all then he would have no reason to give an example to the contrary, but thanks for injecting yourself into this discussion urine boy.

thanks for injecting yourself into this discussion urine boy

for such a high standing alum you'd think this guy could come up with something better :rolleyes:

you didn't work in some comment about how you love the Gophers, then procede to rip the team and/or fanbase???? That is so un-GG.

doooooooooooooouche bag!!!!

for such a high standing alum you'd think this guy could come up with something better :rolleyes:

you didn't work in some comment about how you love the Gophers, then procede to rip the team and/or fanbase???? That is so un-GG.

doooooooooooooouche bag!!!!

Sometimes you have to tailor your message to the audience. You should note however I have never ripped the players at all, just don't always agree with the leadership of the program which may be hard for you to comprehend. I guess I will have to tailor my message for you as well so here is a phrase I am sure you can understand and hear often, Yes I would like fries with that.

If he understood that I didn't say all then he would have no reason to give an example to the contrary, but thanks for injecting yourself into this discussion urine boy.

Clearly you no longer have the senility to understand how his example is rejects your claim.

Your in the wrong line Mr. GopherGod, AARP members are to the right!

Clearly you no longer have the senility to understand how his example is rejects your claim.

Your in the wrong line Mr. GopherGod, AARP members are to the right!

Wow are you seriously so dumb that you cannot understand the difference between the word most and all, as in 3 out of 5 coaches have left he program in 2 seasons due to firings or arguably a lateral move. 3 out of 5 is most but not all. The sixth grade reading comprehension lesson is now complete for today.

What? relevant? is that the right word?

I hope you're right...9-wins could/should get them into the Outback Bowl...playing on New Year's Day would be super...and 9-wins + Henderson would make this a viable college football market -- something it hasn't been in a very long time...I would like nothing more than for college football to be relevant again here.
College football has always been "relevant" here. It has driven the money stream with one arm and both legs tied behind it's back, in a stadium not made for any type of environment since 1982. for any sport. You confuse relevancy with popularity. I think "more relevant" would have suited better here.

Relevant- bearing upon or connected with matter at hand, pertinent.
this has never changed, football has always mattered to the athletic department and the school as a whole when it comes to revenue and the like.

Popular-regarded with favor, approval, or affection by people in general
This is a place with a ton of room for growth, no argument here.

As for 9 wins? I have lived almost my entire lifetime without a Big Ten title. I was less than one in 1969. I really want to see a Rose Bowl, but 1977 still haunts me, and never allows me to get too high. Possible? yes. Probable? Too many "Northwesterns" over the years for me to be that optimistic.
Sorry about the semantic nature of this, but, it is a major difference.

re3886 you are right on.

Relevancy was reduced in 1983 as the team took not a back seat, but a trunk seat to Vikes and Twins. My word, playing on Thursday Night because of a Twins playoff game. That is institutionally irrelevant.

Now the second point the Poplularity. The Gophers have been misserable in promotion, at the same time every sportswriter, radio talking head, and columnists has heaped scorn on the team. Any wonder the poplulrity is poor.

The translation of a 9-3 season instantly translated to bowl placement. Heck if things go right it could be a Big 10 Championship. That's the goal.

We are less than 25 days from the start of the season. The hole is regaling the history of players in the count down. Player blogs, interviews with coaches. And then we get a posting bascially about Coach Brewster future and the AD/s willingness to extend. That did little ramp up the interest. Rather took the discussion off the season and focused it on the coach.

Where is this specualtion with the Vikings? How many more years will Ziggy give Childress? My point, the Gophers are an easy target, an almost willing target. They seems helpless to respond. On the other hand few reporters would file a story like that on the Vikings. Why?

Top Bottom