THIS DAY IN GOPHER HISTORY-December 19, 1964

Doc Gopher

Reaction score
Apologies to Nomilleni-hope I'm not intruding on your category but thought this might be a good question. The Gophs defeat Utah State 88 to 69. The Aggies are led by a 6'6" All-American forward who would die in a tragic and bizarre accident 2 months later. Can you name him?
Also, a member of the Utah State team later become a starter for a Minnesota professional team. Can you name him?

Doc- Wayne Estes is your 1st answer. I believe he was electrocuted following a car accident. I think it happened right after one of his greatest games, later that night. i don't know the answer to your other question. Apologies about my error on the Tommy Davis question. A related question for you. What basketball star for Utah State in the early 60's who never played a down of college football became a star defensive back for years with Dallas?

Leo: You are right on Wayne Estes. Cowboy back was Cornell Green (I had to research that). The Aggie that played professionally with the Vikings was a defensive back also.

Leo- I think the Viking defensive back would be Earsell Mackbee. My lasting image of him is missing a tackle against Otis Taylor in the Super Bowl and turning a short gain into a touchdown. It's sad how many good plays can be erased in memory by a bad one.

It was indeed Earsell Macbee. My lasting image was when he was when he was injured and showed up on the Viking sideline with a purple cape and an outlandish hat. Bud Grant cut him the next week. Unfortunatley,
Earsell passed away a few years ago.

If I recall the Wayne Estes accident correctly (such an unfortunate event), he was going to the scene of a car accident on foot at night and ran into some low-lying power lines. He was not the first one on the scene, but because of his height (6'6"), he hit the power lines while others had been able to safely pass underneath (unaware of what was above them).

Doc- While we are on a Utah State riff, I have a few questions for you. The 1961 Aggie football team had some special talent. The quarterback played 10+ years with the Rams and Lions. The Vikings gave him many bad days. The back-up quarterback spent many years in the AFL and post-merger NFL as a field goal kicker and a defensive tackle is in the Hall of Fame. Can you name them?

Top Bottom