Third and short

Coolew01

Reaction score
It bothered me last year and bothered me last night. I don't like when they run short yardage out of shotgun. The run play takes too much time to develop with the defense being in a short yardage situation. Just my thoughts I with they would go under center.

Bothered me too. Line up under center and use your 250Lb Qb to sneek it for the yard.

Yeah, I don't know where I stand on that formation in 3rd and short.

If it's a foot, I go under center and sneak it with Gray.

Other than that, I think I prefer the shotgun. Our best runner is Gray, if you put him behind center needing 1-3 yards, you are essentially making your best runner a "hander-offer".

I said the same thing last night during the game. A slow developing option play, when you need a yard or two and have a 250 pound quarterback.......snap the ball and bowl forward. Should be a high percentage play.

I said the same thing last night during the game. A slow developing option play, when you need a yard or two and have a 250 pound quarterback.......snap the ball and bowl forward. Should be a high percentage play.

A slow developing option maybe, but that is simply not our only run out of the shotgun. A snap to GRay and a QB power is not any slower developing than a power our of the I. Gray is standing where a RB would be standing when he receives the handoff.

How about a variation of the single wing, with a TE playing the old QB spot behind the guard?

How about a variation of the single wing, with a TE playing the old QB spot behind the guard?

They did that a few times last year and it's kind of what I was talking about.

You line up in the shotgun/pistol with either Kirkwood behind Gray or offset. You bring in an extra TE in motion and he essentially goes behind the guard. It's essentially a power I formation without bothering with a handoff.

I don't care about the formation as much as the results. A B1G football team needs to be able to convert 3rd and 3 or less against a team of UNLV's caliber. Far too often the line generated too little push and/or the play call was too predictable.

A slow developing option maybe, but that is simply not our only run out of the shotgun. A snap to GRay and a QB power is not any slower developing than a power our of the I. Gray is standing where a RB would be standing when he receives the handoff.

Well the play that I am complaining about was a qb option.

Top Bottom