Thinking like the coaches

I just hate Limegrower. I have since day one.

He is so terrified of harming the fragile confidence of his players that it backfires. They sense that he doesn't trust them. Nelson is a case in point.

I don't think so.
If anything, I think he's probably limiting mistakes by running the ball and trying to only take shots in high % situations.

The whole program is still growing, there's no doubt the improvement on defense has been cultivated sided by side with an offense that doesn't turn it over, chews up time of possession, and keeps the game tight.
In their final season at NIU they put up and average of 38 points a game. They have no problem trusting the players, our players here just haven't learned to execute up to their standards yet.

Common sense would say that with a better QB and WR the offense is going to look better, that just makes sense. One thing I would be careful of is the assumption that what worked for NIU in the MAC is going to work for Minnesota in the Big Ten. Defenses in the Big Ten in general are going to be significantly bigger, faster, and stronger then defenses in the MAC so an offense that works great in that conference may not work nearly as well at the next level up.

I would think the running game would be more difficult to bring along when moving up against Bigger, Faster, Stronger players. When we have guys that can execute the passing game, I trust we will see it.

He is so terrified of harming the fragile confidence of his players that it backfires. They sense that he doesn't trust them. Nelson is a case in point.

You hate him so much that you can't even get his name right? Or is that just an unfunny joke?

Nice to see that you are so open minded about him. Maybe if you didn't see him through lime colored glasses you could be a little more objective. Just saying....

Nice to see that you are so open minded about him. Maybe if you didn't see him through lime colored glasses you could be a little more objective. Just saying....

Stedwall gave him a fair chance, it seems, kinda. He didn't start hating him until day one.

This is waaay too much evaluation. Limegrover is the OC and will be so next year. Nelson was pulled in the biggest game of the year after about 13 quarters without an offensive TD. His replacement comes in and the team moves much better.

You're a 20 year old and you and dad are thinking NFL Hall of Fame. What do you do? Just what they did. Was it Limegrover's bad coaching? Was it the system? Was it a young man that couldn't handle the fire? The 20 year old and dad knows it wasn't #3.

yup...and

While true that defensive players in the Big Ten are bigger, faster and stronger so are the offensive players. It's not a question of if this offense will work or not, it's a question of can they get the players in here to run it as effectively against an increased level of competition.

they had pretty good success with "inferior" players when they played Big Ten teams at their previous stops.

they had pretty good success with "inferior" players when they played Big Ten teams at their previous stops.

They did good against bad to middle of the pack Big Ten teams but playing those teams once or twice a year is very different then playing an entire conference season. The best of the MAC fits in around the mid point of the Big Ten with the worst of the conference way below.

Top Bottom