Think of the children! They need to tailgate too.

norman dale

Lord, grant me one Rose Bowl
Reaction score
This is my attempt at projecting what the parking situation will look like around the stadium circa 2013 and beyond and the subsequent effects it will have on tailgating.

http://www.cppm.umn.edu/masterplan/PTS%20Master%20Plan%203-07.ppt#275,20,Current Projects - Stadium

The above attached is the University's Parking and Transportation Services Master Plan. For the sake of this thread I started the link at page 19. Pages 19 and 20 are really the only ones pertinent to this discussion. This diabolical power point presentation goes to prove that the University really has no long term desire to placate fans desire to tailgate on University property.

Page 19 shows an aerial picture of the stadium site in its current environs. For those of who are able to purchase a parking pass for 2009 you could possibly be able to tailgate in lot 33 / 37, Gopher lot 1 and 2, the Wildcat lot or the lots at 23rd and University or at 2221 University. Sweet! But don't get too comfortable and contact your lawyer to place said parking spot in your wills' provisions. As page 20 of the power point presentation shows that piece of asphalt likely won't be around come 2013 when Moses Alipate is slinging the pigskin around in his senior year.

By 2013 there likely will be a light-rail station near the stadium. Medical and bioscience research buildings will flank the stadium and the former lots to the northwest of the stadium which held 900parking spots will now be intramural athletic fields.

The University will probably maintain surface parking lots west of Williams Arena on 4th street unless they plan to build Tubby's practice arena in the area. But there will be a dearth of these surface lot spaces and will undoubtedly go to the big spenders (deservedly so IMO).

Whoop-dee-doo, what does it all mean, Basil? Well, for those of us that have traveled the backroads of the Big 10 and beyond to watch Gopher football I would suggest getting the silly notion out of your head that one will be able to tailgate as they do at Ohio State, a similar large, urban campus. Caveat being of course if you want to spend the big bucks by paying the seat premiums or similar contributions. Think Madison with a slight Cal-Berkeley twist. Shout out to those of you who rode the BART when the Gophers were last in Cali!

It is my hope that the Dinkytown and Stadium Village business districts flourish and become destinations themselves although I think it is difficult to pin that hope just based on 6-7 Saturdays a year. A more realistic vision is those areas becoming more of destination due to greater urban density brought by LRT and developers hedging their bets that students will continue to want to live near the university. I hope we do not revert back to being known as a commuter campus which is a complete fallacy at this time.

I said it before and I'll say it again I didn't wait all this time for a new stadium to be built so that I can tailgate in Ramsey County. But I think in the back of all lots of fans minds the State Fairgrounds may be one of the few economical options if you want to have your own spot, pull out a folding chair, fire up the grill and smell the aroma of sizzling brats. You can bet your 401k that the U will do their best to promote this option to Joe Q. Tailgater in order to keep down the amount of auto traffic on the East Bank campus.

I don't bemoan the University for their long-term plans. Hopefully the U will come up with a multitude of ground breaking initiatives because of the biomedical research building sourrounding the stadium and will garner far more money due to these than a lifetime of parking revenue from football games. I just pine for the day when one could pull up their minvan, set up their grill and toss the football around with your son while the homemade chili heats up.

I'll wait out the long term plans and invest in one of these in the interim:

cooler%20wheels.jpg

P.S. If the above don't work out for tailgating I got dibs on the couch in front of the fireplace at Blarney's.

I'm posting on this thread...

because I can't believe no one has posted on it yet!

I have so many reactions...
- How long did this take you?
- Do you love tailgating more than your own son?
- How on earth did you find that powerpoint?
- How much time do you have on your hands?
- It was too long for my attention span, could you get me the executive summary by 8am tomorrow?

Just kidding, ND. I still don't think the U has any clue how important tailgating is the game day atmosphere. I wish that would change, but I wish a lot of things would change from the top down. That's just wishful thinking, for a lot of people to "get it."

It's been said before - but thank god for basketball season...Beat Wisconsin!

Whoop-dee-doo, what does it all mean, Basil? Well, for those of us that have traveled the backroads of the Big 10 and beyond to watch Gopher football I would suggest getting the silly notion out of your head that one will be able to tailgate as they do at Ohio State, a similar large, urban campus. Caveat being of course if you want to spend the big bucks by paying the seat premiums or similar contributions. Think Madison with a slight Cal-Berkeley twist.

Nice job finding this ND! I appreciate your efforts! I have disagree with you a little though…the UM's situation is quite different than OSU's (and anyone dreaming of an OSU style tailgate has been setting themselves up for sadness from Day 1). OSU has a pretty solid supply of surface lots for tailgaters to take over. The U does not (even before the proposed plans). I agree with you that Madison is a more likely comparison...but why is that bad? I have always enjoyed the atmosphere in Madison and for those who are creative, tailgating can still be had for free within a 15-20 min walk of Camp Randall. I think the same will happen at the U.

I’ve said it before, I think the whole gameday situation will take a few years to work itself out. I wish it wasn’t so, but that’s where we are. How rigid the City of Minneapolis is will likely play a large part. The reason Madison is so much fun even without the large lots for tailgating is that the Madison PD let most stuff slide on gamedays. You have to cross that line between fun and stupid before they’ll hassle you (for the most part). What the City does with Oak St in front of TCF will be the bellweather of how they will treat Gopher gamedays in IMO.

I agree with GL...not enough folks at the U "get it". I'm praying that the one's who do will have their voices heard...but we'll see. In the meantime, I'm ready to get crafty in order to fire up my grill as close to campus as possible. ;)

thanks norm

That slide show was informative and depressing. It's sad to think that the addition of on campus games means the subtraction of quality tailgating.

I am one of those people who did purchase a spot for tailgating at the new stadium. However I'm concerned that everyone else in the lot around will have their AARP cards. Norman, feel free to bring your rolling cooler on by. (But maybe throw some Ensure in there just in case we have to appease the country club crowd.)

The presentation only shows land that the U currently has control of.

Land Northeast of the railroad was sold in the early 90's for almost nothing. The U should have bought it, but back then they were in the back pocket of the same downtown interests that wanted them playing in the Metrodome. These people thought it would be best for Downtown East if the U continued to expand its West Bank campus rather than expanding East towards the Saint Paul campus.

Now that there is no cheap land downtown, the U has finally begun to buy land East of campus. I would expect they will continue to be able to do that. For every parking lot they build on, there is the possability that it will be replaced, cleaned, and paved. So there is some hope. There is a lot of blighted property around there that isn't going to be developed into condos anymore in our lifetime (LRT line or not).

To be honest, I think tailgating won't be the gameday staple of stadium village. I think that the area is more destined to be a beer garden/bar hopping destination for pre and post game as long as the local bars and restaurants are prepared for it. I am hoping for pedestrian choked sidewalks and streets around Stadium Village and Dinkytown, just one big party.

It will be too bad to not have an abundance of gameday parking right next to the stadium, but I would rather have more academic buildings to serve the University than a bunch of surface lots so rubes can get drunk 7 times a year. Without academics, the football team wouldn't exist.

Truthfully there really isn't much demand for tailgating right now by the dome. The last 2 years the only real open lot was the one behind Wasabi off of Washington and the only time that filled up was during the Iowa game with 50% Iowa fans. I honestly don't think it will be a big problem, people will find places to set up shop if they are their early (3-4 hours early). The ramps will fill up closer to game time. Beer Gardens will be a necessity too, just let the situation play out before stressing over it.

what if we chip in and buy a house

rent it to students with a clause in the lease agreement that says we can park there on game days (and use the bathrooms as well).

I'm all for a Pregame Gopherhole House complete with Beer Pong and Guitar Hero.

Frankly IMO have the Light Rail Line running that close to TCF is a good thing. It will keep those who those who either A)doesn't want to tailgate(for any reason) or B)doesn't have the big bucks from trying to jam there cars up close to the stadium and campus in general. I am surprised that they want to to bring the heavy rail right up next to the U though with the Red Rock idea. I have rode Amtrak a few times and it is the most unrealible thing ever(insert your prefered smart @$$ Vikings/Wolves/ joke about choking here). I know the Red Rock isn't going to run by Amtrak but I think its is really bad idea. I think if you have the Red Rock terminate at St. Paul's Union Station then use the Central Cooridor you will be fine. Although you might need to a train or two run express from the St. Paul hub(Union Station) to the Minneapolis hub(Twins Ballpark) Anyway the Station or transit hub by the stadium cool be really cool and become a "signature" item of the stadium.

Anyway back to parking. Now I know that those with the money get the best spots, and while I disagree with that on a few different places, that is what college athletics has become and I won't be able to change it. But I also think if you are willing to put up the money you should get the spot. (Maybe they can get the Miller High Life guy there to set things straight. Just a thought.) Looking at Google Maps It looks like there is some space for some surface parking lots if and only if you could buy a few more of the those grain elevators on the rail road tracks or maybe buy some land from the railroad.

Just a random observation but on slide 21 the stadium is running North and South not East and West. Check it out its kinda interesting to see a different vision of the stadium.

This is the kind of AARP response I was expecting.

"Truthfully there really isn't much demand for tailgating right now by the dome."
Um, no. Ask the Goal Line Club about the demand for tailgating especially in relation to the new stadium. You couldn't be more wrong.

". . . just let the situation play out before stressing over it."
Ah yes, the Kevin McHale strategy to solving problems. That's worked well the past few years.

The reality is that we are all happy to get the stadium back on campus (sans Sid) but the parking situation is likely to be the big negative. We need to make sure the administration knows that the tailgating experience plays a huge role in game day atmosphere and make moves in the future to improve the situation.

I believe this is what Norman Dale is trying to accomplish. We're with you Coach!

Did you tailgate the last 2 years?? There were thousands of spots open for the taking, I never once had a problem finding a place to tailgate. The Goal Line Club lot was full, but that was it. You couldn't be more short sighted.

The administration is well aware of how many parking spaces will be needed, at the same time, they are not going to just appear for the taking. I'll be tailgating or in a bar next fall while you're whining about finding a spot.

"Truthfully there really isn't much demand for tailgating right now by the dome."
Um, no. Ask the Goal Line Club about the demand for tailgating especially in relation to the new stadium. You couldn't be more wrong.

I agree...I think this is one of those situations where we the hardcore fans might lose sight of the overall fan picture. I want to tailgate badly, but how many fans overall will need to have their tailgate happen right in a lot? Will many of them be ok with beer gardens, etc?

There's nothing

like the smell of ignorance in the evening.

"Did you tailgate the last 2 years?? There were thousands of spots open for the taking, I never once had a problem finding a place to tailgate. The Goal Line Club lot was full, but that was it. You couldn't be more short sighted."

Yes, I did and the point of Norman's post is that TCF has more limited parking than the Dome. From the sounds of it, you will be tailgating over by the Dome again in 2009. Enjoy that.

"The administration is well aware of how many parking spaces will be needed, at the same time, they are not going to just appear for the taking. I'll be tailgating or in a bar next fall while you're whining about finding a spot."

No on both accounts. I know where my seats are for the opening game and I already have my parking spot. The issue here is that most people can't afford to do that. Once again, you are missing the point. The whole idea behind having gameday back on campus is to avoid the problems that came with the Dome.

I would take more time to explain this, but it's probably a waste.

Did you tailgate the last 2 years?? There were thousands of spots open for the taking, I never once had a problem finding a place to tailgate.

Any information about tailgating lots would've been a godsend on this board over the past season-and-a-half as tailgate lots disappeared. There were many threads here asking about where tailgating was available, and the consensus was that there were only two or three lots outside of the GLC options. We will appreciate it if you respond when the same questions arise early next season.

How is tailgating on the Michigan golf course any different than tailgating on the St. Paul campus? By the time the shuttle gets you to the stadium the people walking from the Michigan golf course will reach their stadium. All I see around Camp Randall are college houses...there's very little tailgating next to their stadium..looks like most people are in beer gardens.

If you want miles and miles of parking lots, you picked the wrong team to support.

There's no tailgating. It's too cold. The scoreboard plays to many ads. The team entrance song sucks. My seat doesn't have a back. Traffic sucks. 11 a.m. is too early. 6 p.m. is too late.

I propose we add another option to Tubby's Barn and Brew Crew just for all the complaining we're going to have here next fall about the stadium.

Maybe if we are lucky and in the lots closest to the St. Paul campus we can smell the aroma of the cattle on the St. Paul campus that I remember so fondly from my days over there. Nothing says pass me a braut like the smell of manure in the air.

Maximus, I cordially disagree

How is tailgating on the Michigan golf course any different than tailgating on the St. Paul campus? By the time the shuttle gets you to the stadium the people walking from the Michigan golf course will reach their stadium. All I see around Camp Randall are college houses...there's very little tailgating next to their stadium..looks like most people are in beer gardens.

Ummmmmmmmmmm..... By that statement I can clearly tell you've never set foot in Ann Arbor on a football Saturday. First of all the early tailgaters on the golf course are a skulled sand wedge away from the gates leading into Michigan Stadium vs. the mile(s) needed to travel via bus from the St. Paul campus. At the Michigan golf course you are tailgating on some fine bent grass fairways or thick carpet of cool season grasses inthe rough areas. In St. Paul plunk your grill atop bituminous asphalt. At Michigan you come off the freeway onto a 6 lane thoroughfare leading right to the golf course. To get to the state fairgrounds you weave your way through city streets, only one of which is multi-lane to enter the lot. At the Michigan golf course you will hear and see countless people trying to purchase or sell tickets for that day's game. How many scalpers are going to set up camp in Ramsey County?

Your argument that taking a shuttle to the game on a dedicated transitway and walking to the stadium on gameday and trying to navigate the throngs of fans is pure bunk. Walking past your fellow tailgaters is what creates the atmosphere, not stepping off a diesel-fueled mass transit mover. Michigan has plenty of off-site parking where they bus people to the stadium. Those aren't the people I want to emulate. They do not set the tone for a college gameday. atmosphere. The people who awake at 4am to get the prime tailgating spots on the golf course are.

Additionally Mighty Maximus, you cannot compare Michigan's tailgating options to those of Madison. You are correct to surmise that tailgating is a different animal in Madison and which is a model that Minnesota will probably leans towards as the years progress. But tailgating does go on in Madison for those creative enough to adopt to their surrounding. It doesn't have to be all beer gardens for Gopher fans. Bottom line is that us fans need to make the most of the surroundings and create an atmosphere unlike any other in the Big Ten and make one of the best roadies for the our fans and visiting fans alike.

You are correct to surmise that tailgating is a different animal in Madison and which is a model that Minnesota will probably leans towards as the years progress. But tailgating does go on in Madison for those creative enough to adopt to their surrounding. It doesn't have to be all beer gardens for Gopher fans. Bottom line is that us fans need to make the most of the surroundings and create an atmosphere unlike any other in the Big Ten and make one of the best roadies for the our fans and visiting fans alike.

My point exactly. The U is a very urban campus. This presents challenges that other schools don’t have. From the looks of things the U could do a better job with regards to tailgating, but I’m not sure there is a lot of flexibility for them. If you’re opposed to Ramsey County then you better be ready to get creative. TCF will be great…it will not be a utopia of wide open lots.

Top Bottom