Thiam is in the portal

I so much wanted Thiam to be the 2nd coming of Bobby Jackson, but unfortunately Thiam was underwhelming and unable to adjust to P-6 D1 basketball. I wish him well in his endeavors.

I think he could be a solid high-energy, high-usage guy at a smaller school in a more up-tempo, free-flowing conference. Don’t think he was a great fit for the big 10, but was worth a shot. Wishing him the best of luck.

Seems really late to me. Something must be brewing . Are you tapped into the portal?

Maybe. Or, maybe he just wanted to wait as late as possible in the semester to announce he was leaving. I have to say that if he wanted to get another scholarship offer, maybe better now than trying to go next year if he experienced another year of hardly playing.

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 6.44.21 PM.pngThis is my evaluation of Thiam in May of last year for which I was loudly booed by most all...."but he shot 48% from 3...what do you know about anything old man?" well, I knew he couldn't shoot

0 for 6 from 3 ... 4 for 16 overall... I'd say we dodged a bullet
I too, wish Thiam well at his next stop.

Last edited:

Good luck to Thiam. The portal works both ways, I am sure the staff has been honest with about our plans (bringing in more wings) and his chances of earning significant/any time. Going forward, I think scholarships will "open up" because basketball players not named Ben Simmons want to actually play basketball.

Good luck to Thiam. I think we have three scholarships available unless I'm missing something. At a minimum, we should expect to add two wings.

He took a shot at his dream of playing top level D1 Basketball. Unfortunately, he was a little shell shocked last year when it was his time to earn a spot on the team. Now we are adding more prototypical B1G type players and he was doomed to be buried on the depth chart.

Wish him the best.

Not surprising. A nice guy I'm sure but not a B1G player. Good luck to him.

So back to 3 open scholarships? I bet Ramburg gets one at this point. We must add two guards.

I wonder if this is connected to other moves coming or entirely separate decision:
Doubt if Thiam knows anything specific. But he does know they are going to take at least one more guard from the portal. He wasn't going to play, regardless. Since he is going down a couple of levels to get playing time, waiting till the end doesn't hurt him.

Reactions: sal

I wonder if this is connected to other moves coming or entirely separate decision:
Thank goodness the debate surrounding this poor kid is over. I don't think I've ever seen a player more out of place. He belongs in community College ball. Good luck to him.

Last edited:

Good luck to the young man but this should benefit us. Hopefully means we have at least 2 guys ready to commit.

I'm not a very big Patterson fan but I guess if the trade was Thiam for Patterson, we would probably take that, hoping for better.

I am going to take this as a situation where Thiam had a talk with Johnson and Ben made him aware the guys are coming in that will make it tough for him to get playing time next year. I have to believe they have someone lined up that we will hear about soon...

Good luck to the young man but this should benefit us. Hopefully means we have at least 2 guys ready to commit.

I'm not a very big Patterson fan but I guess if the trade was Thiam for Patterson, we would probably take that, hoping for better.

What makes you think they might be going after Patterson? Did I miss some news or rumor?

What makes you think they might be going after Patterson? Did I miss some news or rumor?
Nothing specifically, other than just timeline type thing. He enters portal, hes from MN, doesnt seem like he would have a super long list of suitors, next day Thiam enters. He may have 0 interest, johnson may have 0 interest its just connecting what could be logical dots.

I don't think Johnson is going Woog on it, but i also think the more MN kids he has he can at least say "hey im doing what i told you, locking down these borders" type thing.

Nothing specifically, other than just timeline type thing. He enters portal, hes from MN, doesnt seem like he would have a super long list of suitors, next day Thiam enters. He may have 0 interest, johnson may have 0 interest its just connecting what could be logical dots.

I don't think Johnson is going Woog on it, but i also think the more MN kids he has he can at least say "hey im doing what i told you, locking down these borders" type thing.
Yeah, don't think we have to worry about going full Woog but the roster next year will definitely have a heavy MN lean.

MN - Garcia, Battle, Thompson, Fox, Ola-Joseph, Carrington, Payne, and potentially Ramberg
Other - Ihnen, Henley, Cooper

With some spots that are still TBD of course.

Seemed like a good kid. I wish him the best and hope he lands somewhere on his feet. Should we be concerned that 1/5 of our returning players are transferring out?
No. Look at the level of the guys we are bringing in.

Yeah, don't think we have to worry about going full Woog but the roster next year will definitely have a heavy MN lean.

MN - Garcia, Battle, Thompson, Fox, Ola-Joseph, Carrington, Payne, and potentially Ramberg
Other - Ihnen, Henley, Cooper

With some spots that are still TBD of course.
Minnesota Pride on Hardwood? I'm filling out the trademark paperwork right now!

Top Bottom