These guys have quit on the season!

This is what I kept thinking throughout the game. It looks like the guys have quit.

Rodney coming out in the paper and criticizing Tubby seemed like it could be a really bad sign, and watching the game today, it looks like Tubby might have lost the team. I am a big Tubby fan, but this game today literally sickened me.

IU outhustled us from the opening tip and embarrassed us on our own court. Our guys didn't seem all that bothered by it either.

Becky Vadger said:
This is what I kept thinking throughout the game. It looks like the guys have quit.

Rodney coming out in the paper and criticizing Tubby seemed like it could be a really bad sign, and watching the game today, it looks like Tubby might have lost the team. I am a big Tubby fan, but this game today literally sickened me.

IU outhustled us from the opening tip and embarrassed us on our own court. Our guys didn't seem all that bothered by it either.

Agreed.

This team is soo hard to watch. You want to cheer for them and then they go 5 minutes without scoring a point and turn over the ball eight times. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't win another game this year. If I were the new AD I wouldn't extend Orlando's contract until I see how his team performs next year despite the fact it might hurt his recruiting (not that his recruiting has been spectacular).

Tubby please retire at end of season. It's our only chance for the future.

Its time for a coaching change. No we're not on Tim Brewster level yet, but do we really want to wait that long to make a change?

The gophers will never gel or be that great as long as Tubby continues with the hockey line changes and starting lineup changes from game to game...

I liked how Clem did it... you could clearly see who clem's starters were (and leaders were) in any given season... even with Monson

Morgue and Gopher B-ball. Both sponsored by Washburn-Mckreavy!

I didn't watch the game but noticed - Ralf was 1-11...LOL!!!!

And he probably had the best game of anyone.

At least he displayed an interest and played with intensity. Do players become timid after they arrive here or is that the personality Tubby recruits, it is one of my biggest cobcerns with Buggs. Will be able to step up and accert himself.

At least he displayed an interest and played with intensity. Do players become timid after they arrive here or is that the personality Tubby recruits, it is one of my biggest cobcerns with Buggs. Will be able to step up and accert himself.

I am not a Tubby historian but I believed when he came here that he would bring in hard nosed, physical, athletic players that would beat the opposition phyically into submission on defense and by using the power game on offense. Even when I saw Kentucky games he coached they were often ugly affairs. If you try and play that style and Ralph and Rodney are your inside forces - you are in serious trouble. Passing around the perimeter, dumping it down low and going to the boards is not something this club can pull off. I know that "Coach Nol" says that Ralph has been misused but today is further proof that you can't depend on him. They got it inside to him all day long and he neither created anything for his team mates with quick passes (LOL a quick pass from Ralph) or with buckets or trips to the foul line by drawing contact.

Tubby is an "old"'61 guys. He reminds me of Ray Meyer ( Depaul) who stayed on the bench to long. Eventually he turned it over to his son Joey.

I am not a Tubby historian but I believed when he came here that he would bring in hard nosed, physical, athletic players that would beat the opposition phyically into submission on defense and by using the power game on offense. Even when I saw Kentucky games he coached they were often ugly affairs. If you try and play that style and Ralph and Rodney are your inside forces - you are in serious trouble. Passing around the perimeter, dumping it down low and going to the boards is not something this club can pull off. I know that "Coach Nol" says that Ralph has been misused but today is further proof that you can't depend on him. They got it inside to him all day long and he neither created anything for his team mates with quick passes (LOL a quick pass from Ralph) or with buckets or trips to the foul line by drawing contact.
Molinari was a better defensive coach at the U. I'm really concerned Tubby views this as a semi retirement job...It's so frustrating considering how damn excited about Tubby I was.

Probably the biggest thing I disagreed with Dakish on. He kept saying Indy was wrong to double down on Ralph because he wasn't that big of a threat. I kept thinking that's not why they are doing it. Double team him and you will get the strip 90% of the time. Indy did their scouting.

Probably the biggest thing I disagreed with Dakish on. He kept saying Indy was wrong to double down on Ralph because he wasn't that big of a threat. I kept thinking that's not why they are doing it. Double team him and you will get the strip 90% of the time. Indy did their scouting.

100%. Ralph is the best big to double on in history. He is weak with the ball, absolutely glacial with his decision making and is only effective when allowed to go one on one with the 5 foot hook. If Dakich said that - he is well placed to be out of coaching.

This program is in complete free fall. Oh and by the way.....It's no longer a young team! All of the freshman have played almost 1 full big ten season...the "oh well it's a young team" excuse is tired

This program is in complete free fall. Oh and by the way.....It's no longer a young team! All of the freshman have played almost 1 full big ten season...the "oh well it's a young team" excuse is tired

DpTroll told me that we should give Tubby a contract for life because of injuries along with the fact that anyone who transferred out has an issue with the aura of Tubby!! Are you telling me he is incorrect in his abrasive manner?

And he probably had the best game of anyone.

he seemed more energetic than usual anyway. Even showed some emotion once. But if there is a key play of the game in a blowout it might have been when we missed a free throw and Zeller is dunking on the other end as Ralph gets to the 3 point line. But then the next time Zeller tried that Ralph was only about 10ft behind the play

the team and their performance is a reflection of their coach.......

To some degree. I think Tubby seemingly disinterested attitude will rub off on others. But (and I am in no way trying to defend Tubby in any way), players not even trying should never, ever happen. I don't care if every player hates the coach. Have some pride, play for each other. It's especially disheartening when its the older guys showing lack of interest.

Have some pride, play for each other. It's especially disheartening when its the older guys showing lack of interest.

To me, that's a huge part of the problem right there. Our leaders are Ralph and Rodney. Ralph's struggles with passion and motivation have been well-documented on GopherHole, and Rodney still doesn't want to be the go-to guy. They have both shown flashes of interest and leadership here and there (and we obviously can't comment on their leadership off the court and in the locker room), but they just aren't natural leaders. You can tell.

Top Bottom