These 3 Big Ten teams could have a Northwestern-like fall in 2020 (Iowa, MSU, Minnesota)

I imagine MSU already feels they had a Northwestern year this year & last year.

I don't follow MSU much at all, especially in years the Gophs don't play them, so I don't know the backstory. But holy cow, that team really fell off the table.

I don't follow MSU much at all, especially in years the Gophs don't play them, so I don't know the backstory. But holy cow, that team really fell off the table.
MSU's fall is even more surprising to me than NW. Northwestern will have a few years when everything comes together but doesn't have the base to sustain. MSU had sustained success earlier this decade. But maybe they're more like the NW of the East than actually usurping UM.

Since 2016 they are 26-24

theyve been mediocre as a program since Harbaugh arrived at Michigan.
Not enough talent in Michigan to have two top 20 teams in the state consistently IMO. Dantonio never recruited nationally. Michigan being back up really hurts him.

Don’t think it is coincidence that his great 5 year run was in RichRods last year and the Brady Hoke era.

Really good coach. More successful than Saban was at Michigan state. Michigan State has a lower ceiling when Michigan is good.

I see we are going to falsely inflate our NC schedule again next year. It is tradition at this point.

We need to win some damn trophy games next year for it to be successful or else the season is a failure imo. At least 2 of the 3 biggest ones

Maybe Ryan got barked at by somebody...seems like a pretty odd take.

It’s easier to say we could be better next year.
Offensively, we should improve with experience and continuity. We have 18 WR candidates to become CAB next year. Bateman gets first chair, CAB moves up to two. RB, we didn’t utilize Rodney’s best traits. He gained 1000 yards...excellent but so did MO when he was hurt. Brooks kinda got forgotten. So offense should be very reasonably rationally better.

Defense we were good. We lose a lot! But we played a lot of guys. Our DC seems good. We have candidates in all the defensive spots. Winfield is the only guy we likely can’t replace. So to be at least good again certainly seems possible with a better offense.

The schedule is only marginally harder. We can win 8 games. Gonna take some weird stuff to sneak out 4 or 5 wins or worse yet NW like.

The writer’s idea seems very silly.

that's what I was going to say. It's not like our defense was some lights out unit this year and was a top 10 unit.
Well, they were a top 10 unit in total defense up until the Wisconsin game and still are top 15 in the country.

Top Bottom