Theret might be worse than Weber

Hard to argue with Theret being one of the biggest problems on this team. Tough call with Weber and the two offensive tackles not showing up yet again today.

When is the last time Theret was NOT late to help out on a receiver?

Honestly, we have to have the worst collection of O linemen or Weber is just that bad. I think Theret is okay. As I type this, Decker over throws Decker.

I blame the D coordinator for those soft zones, id rather see big play tre get beat, than see theret come over late every single time.

Theret might be worse than Weber. I'll call it a toss-up

Anyone who thinks that Kyle Theret is in the Top 10 of the problems of the Gopher football team has never played football, or was a total loser when they did play football.

He's an All-American compared to Royston, which means we have two of the worst safety in the Conf.

Theret would be lucky to be starting at UW LaCrosse. The only reason he is on the team is because he's from Brewster's kid's High School. He's not our only problem, but a big hole in an average D. Cosgrove doesn't help at all. His third down zones are unbelievable to watch. 2 linebackers sit in the middle and spy on the line. I can see one guy on the Qb but at least move him in a blitz. We never send anyone on 3rd down.

Theret would be lucky to be starting at UW LaCrosse. The only reason he is on the team is because he's from Brewster's kid's High School. He's not our only problem, but a big hole in an average D. Cosgrove doesn't help at all. His third down zones are unbelievable to watch. 2 linebackers sit in the middle and spy on the line. I can see one guy on the Qb but at least move him in a blitz. We never send anyone on 3rd down.

Hey if it doesn't work, try the same thing again and again...
...and continue to fail.

The least appealing characteristic of GopherHole is the ripping of individual players. They are young men in college who make mistakes or might have less talent, but I believe just about every one of them is trying to do his best. There are ways of discussing players without the hyperbole and bitterness that comes from too many of our so-called fans. That doesn't mean you have to mindlessly cheer everyone, but this lashing out is just pathetic.

Nope. If you want to play D-1 in a major conference and be on the Big Stage week in and week out, you have to take the heat that comes with it. This isn't 10th grade football. This is a business. Now I'm not saying be derogatory toward players, but critiquing the good and the bad is well within the boundaries.

Cosgrove doesn't help at all. His third down zones are unbelievable to watch. 2 linebackers sit in the middle and spy on the line. I can see one guy on the Qb but at least move him in a blitz. We never send anyone on 3rd down.
:clap:

This is precisely the problem. On third and long there's gotta be at least one player blitzing every single time. When the Gophers blitzed they shut down Penn State both running and passing the ball. When the Gophers don't blitz they get gashed on the ground or the opposing QB has far too much time to throw. Yeah, some big plays will be given up when you blitz a lot, but it's better than having the opposing offense control the clock all day!

Nope. If you want to play D-1 in a major conference and be on the Big Stage week in and week out, you have to take the heat that comes with it. This isn't 10th grade football. This is a business. Now I'm not saying be derogatory toward players, but critiquing the good and the bad is well within the boundaries.

Okay, I can almost co-sign that. But here is the problem, unless you know what defense or offense they are in and what the assignments are, how can you be so sure who messed up? I probably know more about the defensive formations and responsibilities than 99.9% percent of the people who post on this board and I'm not even sure sometimes who was suppose to do what.

There have been times (frequently) on this board where someone criticized the guy on the play who got it right and applauded the guy who screwed up all in the same sentence.

What's wrong with just saying the defense or offense needs to just play better?

Not against the critiquing. I'm with Sportsman24's views. I'm against the ridicule by anonymous posters who put their opinions out there on a forum that supposedly supports the Gophers. And, no, I'm not tromping on your rights of free speech; I'm merely stating my views on it. Not sure what is gained by beating up on our players except it somehow makes somebody feel better to do it.

Most of our problems at safety have to do with being a full step slow.

We're just always late on help/rotation. Teams find a nice soft spot in the middle-deep boundary area.

Were I on the coaching staff, I would challenge Kyle and Kim to an off-season intensely focused on improving their speed.

They also need to read the QB eyes and brake on the ball. There is no way a safety cannot cover 1/2 in a 30+ yd pass. but you have to watch the QB and not the rec. if you can't do this you can't play 1/2's or zone.

re cncmin...

"Hey if it doesn't work, try the same thing again and again...
...and continue to fail. "

GG insanity?

Most of our problems at safety have to do with being a full step slow.

We're just always late on help/rotation. Teams find a nice soft spot in the middle-deep boundary area.

Were I on the coaching staff, I would challenge Kyle and Kim to an off-season intensely focused on improving their speed.

Case and point.

My man if the safeties have coverage responsibilities they are not going to get over to help. They also have keys they need to read BEFORE they go running all willy nilly.

If they are playing zone, guess what? They have to first cover THEIR zone.

Only when we are in man and the offense is not in a spread will the Safeties have over the top help.

Kim? He will never run faster than 4.49 or slower than 4'54, that is plenty fast for ANY safety in any scheme. I would however like to see better down and distance recognition. That would help both Kyle and Kim know when to cheat and get to where the ball is going.

Theret is terrible, but worse than Weber? My Grandma is not worse than Weber. Weber is bottom of the barrel.

Theret probably would start over the clowns the Vikings are running out there...this is pathetic

Theret might be worse than Weber if...

Weber might be worse than Theret or just the opposite or vice versa.

My thought is that Theret is a lot like Nick Punto of the Twins. He is undersized and not as athletic as many others who play the game, but seems to have the admiration of the coaches because he plays hard and comes up with big plays from time to time. The problem is, however, that there are times when his weaknesses are exposed and it really hurts us.

I agree that he should be on the field because we don't have a whole lot else behind him, and I like that he seems to work very hard out there. I just hope that in the future we can get other guys out there that can cover up some of his weaknesses.

Top Bottom