There are 3 things this team consistently does that are just infuriating

IMO. The Gophers D is pretty good. Either need to stop doubling the post or do it better, but other than that pretty solid and even that isn't a huge deal to me.

The offense is horrendous. Not sure if it is all Tubby, the players, the others team D or what, but the stall is awful. The three man passing around the perimeter is awful. The lack of aggression and attacking. Lack of movement. Lack of screens. How tentative everyone looks. It is terrible.

Fix that and the Gophers will be right back on track.

Tubby = Tubby

the players = Tubby

the other teams D = what Tubby is paid to coach against

As long as we are 0-23 overall, 0-10 in the B1G, ranked 345th in the nation, have a coach who knows nothing and players who can do nothing and should all ride the pine, let's draft 13 guys from the intramural leagues and let Dan Monson come back and coach 'em.

IMO. The Gophers D is pretty good. Either need to stop doubling the post or do it better, but other than that pretty solid and even that isn't a huge deal to me.

The offense is horrendous. Not sure if it is all Tubby, the players, the others team D or what, but the stall is awful. The three man passing around the perimeter is awful. The lack of aggression and attacking. Lack of movement. Lack of screens. How tentative everyone looks. It is terrible.

Good analysis Scher. Probably the most frustrating thing for me is that this has been a problem for a good chunk of our mid-season skid, and we have had plenty of opportunities to fix it, and for whatever reason, we aren't.

I usually agree with you, but I think you're way off on Burke. Yes, they set a ton of screens for him, but he's pretty damn quick and he absolutely breaks BT opponents down off the dribble without a screen. I definitely agree with you that we're horrible at setting screens.

Speaking of the high screen and roll...... This is what Michigan does so effectively to make Trey Burke even better as a point guard. Burke has a better handle than Andre, but they are otherwise very similar. neither is blow you away fast but both are fast enough. Neither is going to break down Big Ten opponents off the dribble without a good screen. Our screens are half heaerted and tend to create action that is side to side rather than getting the point into the paint. In the Mich/OSU game, with a minute left McGary sets a high ball screen for Burke. Burke dribbles to the free throw line the defense picks him up and he hits a baseline cutter for the lay in. This is what we don't do and could with Andre. It won't work every time but it will make him more multi dimensional and open things up for that deadly jumper of his.

Spot on. Our perimeter passing that does absolutely no good probably leads to more turnovers/fast breaks than points for us.

Earlier is the season, most of the turnovers were from aggressive play. Now, the turnovers are down, but the team is much more passive.

I usually agree with you, but I think you're way off on Burke. Yes, they set a ton of screens for him, but he's pretty damn quick and he absolutely breaks BT opponents down off the dribble without a screen. I definitely agree with you that we're horrible at setting screens.

You are probably right. No doubt Burke is a better handler than Dre. I do think we could help Dre a lot more.

Well, I see the team came out with some fire tonight. Thus, they took care of my #3. For whatever reason, they lost a lot of that fire as the game went on. Fatigue? Complacency? Fear? I don't have the answers. Ball movement was ok, not great - EE was doing very good things for a long time in the game. Out of bounds play movement was pathetic again, both starters and subs. Trevor getting double-teamed low seemed to take the air out of them - I think the guards did a poor job of helping Trevor when he was uncomfortable underneath. What needed to happen was Trevor get the ball and IMMEDIATELY dish it back out.

The #1 problem with this team failed them again - after a solid first 15 minutes of pressuring the 3-point line, they started sinking into the lane when Illinois went to the hoop - both half-court and transition - and each and every time Illinois dished the ball back to wide-open players. Should those wide-open players be able to hit 80% of their 3's? Probably not, but Tubby and every single player on that team should know better. That they keep failing at the same problem suggests a combination of bad coaching and/or outright foolishness out of the players.

Illinois shot 11-23 or 47.8% on 3's for the game. They are shooting 33% as a team for the year. The 3pter is the great equalizer in basketball. Someone like Duke can beat anyone when its falling, they can also lose by 29 at Miami when it is not. It is unreal that a "top 25" ranked team like Minnesota has only 2 starters who have any shot of making a 3.

Top Bottom