Theathletic’s most overlooked B1G players in the draft (Mo is included)

pk2

Reaction score
Theathletic.com lists six B1G players the authors think are being overlooked for the NFL draft. Mo Ibrahim is included.

Minnesota RB Mohamed Ibrahim​

Ibrahim’s measurements would scare away most evaluators, from his height (5-8) to his arm length (28 5/8 inches), both of which were the shortest at the combine. He didn’t run the 40 in Indy, and the eye test suggests he wouldn’t blow anyone away there. Ibrahim will be 24 this fall, played six years for the Gophers and had 867 carries. They were slamball carries, too, into the teeth of some physical defenses.

Then there’s Ibrahim’s production. He set Minnesota records for yards in a game (263), a season (1,665) and a career (4,668). He also has the rushing touchdown marks for a game (four), a season (20) and a career (53). Ibrahim rushed for 100-plus yards in 19 straight games, and 11 took place after he tore his Achilles tendon in the 2021 season opener. It’s iffy whether Ibrahim gets drafted, and he likely will have a short shelf life in the NFL. But whichever team drafts or signs him will have a heck of a back who will produce when the weather turns cold. He’s a finisher and doesn’t go backward.

Brugler’s analysis: Ibrahim doesn’t have desired elusiveness or explosion as an NFL runner, but teams looking for a physical, no-nonsense presence in the run game will appreciate his decisiveness, vision and power. He will need the right fit to secure a backup role on an NFL depth chart.

Brugler’s ranking: No. 22 RB, seventh round

Dochterman’s projection: San Francisco, seventh round, No. 222 overall

The others mentioned are Purdue QB Aidan O’Connell, Illinois S Sydney Brown, Iowa CB Riley Moss, Purdue WR Charlie Jones, and Michigan C Olu Oluwatimi.

It’s an article available to subscribers only, but here’s the link, for those who are able to get access:

Last edited:

If any NFL team chooses him I would bet it would be as a UDFA.
But who knows until the draft day?

He’d be a great 7th round steal you can play on a rookie contract, which is what the nfl is going to at the rb position.

Mo is one of my favorite Gophers ever and assuming he has zero to slim NFL chances is sad, but I totally understand it. As good as he was, I don't know if I ever saw him bust a long run and take it to the house. Speed kills. With that being said, of all the teams, SF would be perfect for him and he could grind out a career for a few years there. They have tons of talent so he doesn't have to be the man. He could be used as a change of pace back and short yardage guy - both are things he would excel at.

The others mentioned are Purdue QB Aidan O’Connell, Illinois S Sydney Brown, Iowa CB Riley Moss, Purdue WR Charlie Jones, and Michigan C Olu Oluwatimi.
How is the Michigan center overlooked? I think he'll be the second one picked, after JMS. I'd like to see what they wrote about Charlie Jones and Riley Moss (I'm not actually asking for you to post it, just curious, as I don't know them as well as the center from Michigan.)

How is the Michigan center overlooked? I think he'll be the second one picked, after JMS. I'd like to see what they wrote about Charlie Jones and Riley Moss (I'm not actually asking for you to post it, just curious, as I don't know them as well as the center from Michigan.)
I've seen Oluwatimi projected to go much later than you'd think.

Mo will never be an every down back but absolutely makes sense as a short yardage guy. If you're a team that has a Dalvin Cook type of RB, having a guy like him might make sense.

I've seen Oluwatimi projected to go much later than you'd think.

Mo will never be an every down back but absolutely makes sense as a short yardage guy. If you're a team that has a Dalvin Cook type of RB, having a guy like him might make sense.
How far down did you see him? I think there are like 6 legit center prospects in this draft, and I'd be thrilled with getting one in the 4th round, if one lasts that long. Maybe I'm just over-valuing the position or something.

Mo going to the 49ers as depth would be interesting. It's a team with the best Dline so someone like him could be a good grinder in the 4th quarter when protecting a lead?

Lastly, anyone have any idea why they care about his arm length? I know it matters a ton for offensive tackles, but this is the first I've heard of it being called out for a RB. What difference does it make? Wouldn't short arms increase ball security when running through the hole, as there is less arm to grab and tug on?

How far down did you see him? I think there are like 6 legit center prospects in this draft, and I'd be thrilled with getting one in the 4th round, if one lasts that long. Maybe I'm just over-valuing the position or something.

Mo going to the 49ers as depth would be interesting. It's a team with the best Dline so someone like him could be a good grinder in the 4th quarter when protecting a lead?

Lastly, anyone have any idea why they care about his arm length? I know it matters a ton for offensive tackles, but this is the first I've heard of it being called out for a RB. What difference does it make? Wouldn't short arms increase ball security when running through the hole, as there is less arm to grab and tug on?
Might have been 3rd or 4th round. That seemed late for one of the best centers in the country.

The pros look at players differently. A lot of mocks (and they are called mocks so that we can mock them) have Wisconsin's Tippmann as the first center picked and Schmitz as the second. Hard to know how pro scouts evaluate players, but it's often more about how they see a player projecting at the next level.

I’m guessing stiff arm ability of would-be tacklers. Also, I think MO makes a roster and every teammate of his is happy he is on their team. Kid is a beast!

Two items that draftniks look for in a back went unmentioned. The Gophers didn't utilize Mo much in the passing game, but he was good in his limited opportunities. Also he is a willing and able pass blocker. He does not, however have the school record for rushing yards in a game (Darkins- 294 vs. Purdue in 1995)

Top Bottom