The Zone

From the Barn

Reaction score
So, anyone think we'd win a tournament game because of the zone after the way the zone has destroyed us for years?

Tubby pulled a rabbit out of his hat tonight. I hope he has several more and a very big hat.

So, anyone think we'd win a tournament game because of the zone after the way the zone has destroyed us for years?

Tubby pulled a rabbit out of his hat tonight. I hope he has several more and a very big hat.

Brilliant. And even more impressive was that he - Tubby Smith - stuck with it, even though it was working. ;)

Agreed. That really slowed things down and confused them. I also really liked the clear outs on offense in the last five minutes or so. UCLA had no answer.

Yes. I think a lot had to do with Dre today. Looked and played incredible. This guy.

Tubby pulled the okie doke on Howland tonight. Howland obviously wasn't prepared to face the zone. Brilliant move by Tubby.

Yes, Tubby had a great plan. How about going to the big lineup for a good chunk of the first half. They got production and got the Wear bros in foul trouble. Heck even Oto had solid minutes.

Coaches today are loathe to use a zone defense. It is beneath them I think. So they seldom see it and therefore can be stifled by it; witness the Gophers vs NU. A smart coach would use it as surprise, in tournaments when there is little chance to prepare for it and against poor outside shooting teams.

Coaches today are loathe to use a zone defense. It is beneath them I think. So they seldom see it and therefore can be stifled by it; witness the Gophers vs NU. A smart coach would use it as surprise, in tournaments when there is little chance to prepare for it and against poor outside shooting teams.

Agreed. Syracuse is really one of the few successful teams to use it as their base D.

Top Bottom