The workplace "you fell for it" conversation

Crosby

Reaction score
So... I am known as the biggest Gopher fan at my workplace. We don't go into the office as much anymore but even on video calls, it has begun. The smirking, annoying, know-it-all attitude of some of my colleagues. These are people who are casual Gopher fans maybe. And these are people who were actually pretty interested in the team last season, especially at the end. Now... it's the old "you fell for it again... it's the Gophers... the boat is sinking... how do you feel about YOUR Gophers now?" All that garbage. I agree that there is not much room for optimism this season. But I can't tell you how annoying that is. Seems like 10 years ago that we beat Penn State and Auburn. I am dreading the staff meeting on Monday.

People who say that don’t get college football anyways.

they think last year was unsuccessful because the gophers didn’t win the big ten and make the playoff.
They think every year every team should be shooting for the playoff.

hopefully Minnesota eventually gets to the point where it is realistic to have that expectation....

this year is disappointing but I don’t watch the gophers to see a perennial champ. If I did, I picked the wrong team

The Gophers and the Vikings have earned every ounce of "I told you they wouldn't win that game. They lose games that matter."

Every ounce.

It's on them, to do something about it.

The Minneapolis Miracle and the Penn St game, hey don't get me wrong, I'll never forget. But in the end, they were for naught.

People who say that don’t get college football anyways.

they think last year was unsuccessful because the gophers didn’t win the big ten and make the playoff.
They think every year every team should be shooting for the playoff.

hopefully Minnesota eventually gets to the point where it is realistic to have that expectation....

this year is disappointing but I don’t watch the gophers to see a perennial champ. If I did, I picked the wrong team

Yes, but this also shows why in the market we are in, when you get the chance, you can't piss the bed. They should have beat Iowa and/or Wisconsin last year and they would have been playing in the BT championship. Rose bowl.

Chances like that don't come around very often. When you are on fire like that you HAVE to take advantage.

So... I am known as the biggest Gopher fan at my workplace. We don't go into the office as much anymore but even on video calls, it has begun. The smirking, annoying, know-it-all attitude of some of my colleagues. These are people who are casual Gopher fans maybe. And these are people who were actually pretty interested in the team last season, especially at the end. Now... it's the old "you fell for it again... it's the Gophers... the boat is sinking... how do you feel about YOUR Gophers now?" All that garbage. I agree that there is not much room for optimism this season. But I can't tell you how annoying that is. Seems like 10 years ago that we beat Penn State and Auburn. I am dreading the staff meeting on Monday.

I get it too. I wouldn't say that I have co-workers that goad me on about things like that however. Being a huge Gophers fan for the past 20 years has helped me develop thick skin. Can't let it upset me too much. Enjoy the years and the games when the team plays well.

Yes, but this also shows why in the market we are in, when you get the chance, you can't piss the bed. They should have beat Iowa and/or Wisconsin last year and they would have been playing in the BT championship. Rose bowl.

Chances like that don't come around very often. When you are on fire like that you HAVE to take advantage.
If they played in the rose bowl last year, the guy from the OP would say the same exact thing this year

I agree they should’ve taken advantage last year. But if you think it is going to change the attitudes of non fans you’re kidding yourself

OP - read TR’s ‘ man in the arena’. PJ is miles above baby boy Jerry Kill.

If they played in the rose bowl last year, the guy from the OP would say the same exact thing this year

I agree they should’ve taken advantage last year. But if you think it is going to change the attitudes of non fans you’re kidding yourself

Maybe, I've been a fan for many years though and also sick of "just falling short". Then it was wait until next year, this program is done going backwards, etc, etc.

I understand it myself there are peaks and valleys unless you are Ohio State or Alabama where the players are paid large sums of money, but it is hard to blame folks for saying "same old gophers".

Coworkers like that you can't really reason with.
Any year without a national title will be a failure in their eyes, and if you don't repeat as national champs, they'll ask why things have fallen off.

This board for example is full of "Gopher football fans", but we already large numbers of people who want to burn everything down because of the slow start.

Some are also broadening the problem to take away the enjoyment of last season making a case that it was a fluke. Whether it was or not or how you even argue that point is insignificant.

Gopher football last year was the best sports season this city probably had since 1991.

A few weeks ago Dan Barreiro was asking what it would take for some people to really get on board with the Gophers. He took one caller.

The caller said... "Well, maybe if they beat OSU in a Big Ten Title game, then I would maybe start to believe."

So win the Big Ten, and be sure to do it in a year when OSU is a nation title contender, and then you "might" start believing.

Nice standards.

These same people are Vikings fans who are happy when they beat Detroit twice in a season.

Coworkers like that you can't really reason with.
Any year without a national title will be a failure in their eyes, and if you don't repeat as national champs, they'll ask why things have fallen off.

This board for example is full of "Gopher football fans", but we already large numbers of people who want to burn everything down because of the slow start.

Some are also broadening the problem to take away the enjoyment of last season making a case that it was a fluke. Whether it was or not or how you even argue that point is insignificant.

Gopher football last year was the best sports season this city probably had since 1991.

Not a fluke IMO. Also, those calling for Tanner Morgan's head, tskk, tskk. He is a good QB. This season he has been dealing with the Covid like everyone else and his dad has been battling cancer.

Not trying to make excuses for the guy, but he is better than he has shown thus far. To me it looks like he lost a little bit of his confindence.

I also think sticking with PJ for as long as we can keep him is the right move. Dumb, dumb, dumb to be talking like he can't coach, can't recruit, etc. This guy will build the program IMO.

Top Bottom