The wet blanket

Their will be NO WET BLANKET in 2020, for the Gophers FB team, unless you 2nd guess the progress you made this year or you post that you were caught under the blanket with a wet bar of Lava pumus soap and post it here! o_O

You had 3 varying offenses and defenses to start your season off last year. That to me was good because the gophers offense and defense get to see different looks before starting your conference season. "DONT "WHAT IF YOURSELF"!

SCHN - "What if the non-conference schedule next season goes the other way?"

TALON- What if it does? If you play to your potential, win or lose, that the way it is. Based on tour games after the first 3 OOC games, you should be in good shape.

It’s just the Minnesota mentality, Talon! You Georgians tend to be more of an optimistic bunch. Fleck said he came here to change that.

If the D gets off to a badish start in September, you are right, I will very graciously post on this site that I and all the other wiser heads where right to be concerned by the loss of seven starters on D. It will be my duty to continue the education of youth, even the pinheads. ?‍♂️ :banghead:
I’m more curious to hear what you plan on posting if the defense outperforms?

I think after the last 3 years of growth and this excellent season your fans should start to change their future outlook for the team.

But we lost players to the draft/graduation. We’re screwed! Never mind that two players from Iowa who declared today are potential top 10 picks, and they’re losing their starting QB.

Last edited:

If the D gets off to a badish start in September, you are right, I will very graciously post on this site that I and all the other wiser heads where right to be concerned by the loss of seven starters on D. It will be my duty to continue the education of youth, even the pinheads. ?‍♂️ :banghead:
Get over it boomer, 11-2 or 2-11 you will be educating no one..

But we lost players to the draft/graduation. We’re screwed! Never mind that two players from Iowa who declared today are potential top 10 picks, and they’re losing their starting QB.

Yes, but all teams lose recruits to other schools and the NFL. The thing that you can look forward to is a great coaching staff to develop your new talent. Take it from this old GSC/GSU fan. We rarely got the best recruits but our old EXCELENT coaching staffs turned lemons into lemon aid and made them championships.

Yes, but all teams lose recruits to other schools and the NFL. The thing that you can look forward to is a great coaching staff to develop your new talent. Take it from this old GSC/GSU fan. We rarely got the best recruits but our old EXCELENT coaching staffs turned lemons into lemon aid and made them championships.

I know. I was being sarcastic...

Great players are difficult to replace, but every team has to do it, so I don’t understand the handwringing.

I know. I was being sarcastic...

Great players are difficult to replace, but every team has to do it, so I don’t understand the handwringing.

Like I said, you have a great coaching staff & they will respond in great ways!

I agree with the assessment as to the first four games of the year. We were extremely lucky to the extreme to come out of it 4-0. We're not going to have all those breaks from year to year.
What part was lucky? Ever heard of skill? Gut check? Geezus what a thread.

Well to be honest you only had 1 out of 4 lucky games :drink:

“Lucky” is getting a blocked FG TD and a scoop and score TD within a span of minutes. Driving 95 yards for the game winning score, without any flukey plays, took skill and guts. (y)

how many of you believe in the 2nd to the last post about teams that milk the clock?

What about it? Gophers were 5th in the nation in TOP. PJ likes to play keep away with the ball.

You’re stilling going with this? Let me guess, you were panicking last year because we were losing Weyler and Greene on the offensive line? You were terrified about our safety play because Jacob Huff was graduating? And you knew we would be gashed by teams running the ball because Cashman wasn’t here to stop them? Did you predict 5 wins for this year based on all of that attrition?

9-3 I predicted due to the number of quality players coming back, the very small number of starters debarting and how those guys had performed so well in last month of the previous season. This coming year I have clearly and sensibly predicted that given that many, many guys (seven out of eleven was my prediction) on our D are not coming back that we might get off to a slower start on D in the early games of the year. Nothing alarming except to those without experience with losing that many starters. I thought the OP was entirely correct in his openning comments.

To me you really cant milk the clock until the last 1min 30 sec. of the game

If a team has a greater time of possession than another teams that falls on the offense for not executing a longer drives, if not scoring big points quickly, or in most part the defense NOT getting the opponent offense off the field!

To me you really cant milk the clock until the last 1min 30 sec. of the game

If a team has a greater time of possession than another teams that falls on the offense for not executing a longer drive, if not scoring big points quickly, or in most part the defense NOT getting the opponent offense off the field!

That’s part of it, but we literally run the play clock under 5 seconds on almost every snap. The last drive against Auburn was 8+ minutes to end the game. It was beautiful, to be honest...

That’s part of it, but we literally run the play clock under 5 seconds on almost every snap. The last drive against Auburn was 8+ minutes to end the game. It was beautiful, to be honest...
Seriously that was amazing.

I think everyone assumed there would be another possession...but then as the crowd realized it might be the last the excitement grew and grew.

I Agree
Depending on what defense your playing against sometimes you need a hurry up offense and some times you slow it down!

Seriously that was amazing.

I think everyone assumed there would be another possession...but then as the crowd realized it might be the last the excitement grew and grew.

Auburn even used all 3 timeouts. What a helpless feeling that must have been for Auburn and their fans to watch that clock tick down, knowing they couldn’t stop us.

Auburn even used all 3 timeouts. What a helpless feeling that must have been for Auburn and their fans to watch that clock tick down, knowing they couldn’t stop us.
Yeah that drive just ground them into the dirt.

I felt sorry for a few defenders who were giving it their all but clearly were just running on empty, got close a few times... but justc couldn'tstop us.

I guess it’s true what they say...every party has to have a pooper.

9-3 I predicted due to the number of quality players coming back, the very small number of starters debarting and how those guys had performed so well in last month of the previous season. This coming year I have clearly and sensibly predicted that given that many, many guys (seven out of eleven was my prediction) on our D are not coming back that we might get off to a slower start on D in the early games of the year. Nothing alarming except to those without experience with losing that many starters. I thought the OP was entirely correct in his openning comments.

You keep acting like this call you made of 7 new starters on defense next year was something nobody saw coming. 6 of those guys were seniors so they were 100% gone meaning every single person knew it. As for Winfield, once the high round draft grades started coming in it was assumed by most that he would go to the NFL. So this idea that you somehow predicted anything in regards to the defense for next year is a joke, stop patting yourself on the back for something everyone saw coming.

So when the defense falters the way you hope it does early, how many games does it cost us? You have already decided there is no way the new players can possibly do better then the old ones so use your prognostication skills to tell us what the record will end up being next year.

We lose a lot but so do our rivals to the East and South. That said, our offense and our quarterback are so efficient that I fully expect a repeat of this year’s regular season record and perhaps even better. We only need to score more points than our opponent at the end of the game...if the OC doesn’t lay an egg it could be nearly unstoppable. The defense should be alright and perhaps...even better. Flashes of high talent rounding into starters. Special teams can’t get much worse, ergo will probably be better.

Better offense/offensive line, perhaps a more athletic and disruptive defensive line, better special teams play, rebuilding Iowa, toothless Wisconsin = big year.

Good news is maybe fans won't need to stand as much and you'll be happy

We lose a lot but so do our rivals to the East and South. That said, our offense and our quarterback are so efficient that I fully expect a repeat of this year’s regular season record and perhaps even better. We only need to score more points than our opponent at the end of the game...if the OC doesn’t lay an egg it could be nearly unstoppable. The defense should be alright and perhaps...even better. Flashes of high talent rounding into starters. Special teams can’t get much worse, ergo will probably be better.

Better offense/offensive line, perhaps a more athletic and disruptive defensive line, better special teams play, rebuilding Iowa, toothless Wisconsin = big year.

I agree with you but careful about predicting any kind of downturn for Wisconsin :)

That said, their offense took a huge hit this off season with Taylor and Cephus leaving and their defense while returning most of the players loses two phenomenal linebackers in Baun and Orr. We will have a hard time replacing Winfield but they will have a similarly tough time replacing those two.

The fact that we return so much talent on offense is the main reason I am not nearly as scared as people like Veritas about our prospects on defense next year. We should once again be able to score a lot of points meaning we don't need the defense to be outstanding we just need it to be solid. Hopefully this new OC can build on what we do well and help push the offense to new heights. As most of that unit moves from under classmen to upper classmen there is the potential for this offense to take another step and reach an even higher level of play which is pretty amazing to consider after what we did last year.

Rossi has shown a real ability to use the pieces he has on defense and be successful. I am willing to trust that he will be able make it work with new starters but guys with a lot of playing time under their belts as well.

I agree with you but careful about predicting any kind of downturn for Wisconsin :)

That said, their offense took a huge hit this off season with Taylor and Cephus leaving and their defense while returning most of the players loses two phenomenal linebackers in Baun and Orr. We will have a hard time replacing Winfield but they will have a similarly tough time replacing those two.

The fact that we return so much talent on offense is the main reason I am not nearly as scared as people like Veritas about our prospects on defense next year. We should once again be able to score a lot of points meaning we don't need the defense to be outstanding we just need it to be solid. Hopefully this new OC can build on what we do well and help push the offense to new heights. As most of that unit moves from under classmen to upper classmen there is the potential for this offense to take another step and reach an even higher level of play which is pretty amazing to consider after what we did last year.

Rossi has shown a real ability to use the pieces he has on defense and be successful. I am willing to trust that he will be able make it work with new starters but guys with a lot of playing time under their belts as well.

Predicting wisconsin's demise is a MN tradition.

Top Bottom