The Weight Room

Johnny Olson

Reaction score
"We need to make sure we take care of the players, and the first thing we need to address is the weight room. That's the priority. That affects recruiting, that affects strength, how you train, etcetera. We need to get that updated. That's our priority."

Coach Kill (per kstp)

My question for Joel Maturi is WHEN WILL THIS GET DONE?
Considering the Money saved with the hiring of Coach Kill, the answer better be NOW !!!!!!!
Supporters of Gopher Football will need to stay up on this one.

On Its Way

Read just the other day that the U will be spending $1 million this year on upgrades for the football program--$700,000 to install FieldTurf on the outdoor practice field, and $300,000 to overhaul the strength and conditioning facilities.

Read just the other day that the U will be spending $1 million this year on upgrades for the football program--$700,000 to install FieldTurf on the outdoor practice field, and $300,000 to overhaul the strength and conditioning facilities.

Sweet! Really excited to see what results may come from the new strength & condidtioning program. I'm getting ramped up to increase my own off season workouts!;)

That is an excellent, long overdue development.

Well with Kill rollin with $1 mil, when you publicly had numbers floating in the $2.5 mil range, you'd think there's a lil bit to do work on the weight room lol.

Having recently seen the weight room, I have to agree with Kill's assessment. The equipment is in rough shape.

Didn't we just install new field turf last summer? Or was that only at the indoor facility?

I hope they spend a lot more than 300,000 dollars on improving the weight room. It needs major upgrades to compete with the bigger programs.

Why couldn't we do this in small incremental steps on a regular basis instead of these catch all rehabs. Do it incrementally and your long term costs decrease because you have a program of replacement. If we do it all at once, we watch some equipment deteriorate immediately and not get replaced because we wait for the next major overhaul. Put them on a schedule and replace and budget accordingly. If we budget for $300,000 per year, let's say, then in 10 years, hey, $3,000,000 in upgrades. I just hate the have it all at once. Harder to raise the money. Harder to justify. Meanwhile, building in the maintenance and replacement in the budget acknowledges that equipment and facilities get maintained properly and will be in working order all the time. Now that is commitment. Not one time gigantic investments, which put stress on too many financial resources.

$300,000 a year sounds about the right figure to maintain and upgrade the facility over time.

question

Why couldn't we do this in small incremental steps on a regular basis instead of these catch all rehabs. Do it incrementally and your long term costs decrease because you have a program of replacement. If we do it all at once, we watch some equipment deteriorate immediately and not get replaced because we wait for the next major overhaul. Put them on a schedule and replace and budget accordingly. If we budget for $300,000 per year, let's say, then in 10 years, hey, $3,000,000 in upgrades. I just hate the have it all at once. Harder to raise the money. Harder to justify. Meanwhile, building in the maintenance and replacement in the budget acknowledges that equipment and facilities get maintained properly and will be in working order all the time. Now that is commitment. Not one time gigantic investments, which put stress on too many financial resources.

$300,000 a year sounds about the right figure to maintain and upgrade the facility over time.

Is the weight room space big enough in square feet to handle the needs of a football team?
Do all sports use it? I have seen the womens basketball weight room across the street from the barn. Many 4A high schools have better "rooms" than that.

Don't you knida need a football only dedicated weight room with 100 guys? Yes you can stagger guys workout times but it sounds like they are doing conditioning all together. Anybody know about how many different weight rooms there are for sports at the U? How the football team lifts....staggered? or together? etc etc

Is the weight room space big enough in square feet to handle the needs of a football team?
Do all sports use it? I have seen the womens basketball weight room across the street from the barn. Many 4A high schools have better "rooms" than that.

Don't you knida need a football only dedicated weight room with 100 guys? Yes you can stagger guys workout times but it sounds like they are doing conditioning all together. Anybody know about how many different weight rooms there are for sports at the U? How the football team lifts....staggered? or together? etc etc

I was thinking the same thing.

Convert the women's hockey rink into a new strength center. Biggest waste of tax money ever at the U.

Let's Bob Rohde and Hucke back leading the weightroom. BTW: any of you ever stand close to Ed Olson? the feller is BIG.

Where are the big donors?

I've already said this but I have to say it again. Big donors to U athletics should be able to help upgrade the weight room by writing a few big checks. It would happen in a minute at Nebraska, Iowa or Wisconsin. They've had winning programs and are mostly the only games in town--with the exception of the Cyclones in Iowa and the Packers in Wisconsin. But if Gopher football does have enough big money supporters who'll write checks for the weight room, the program has a lot longer way to go than I ever thought.

You mean the men's hockey NHL-sized practice rink?

That was my other thought but I didn't know for sure how much the men's team used it so I didn't want to go down that road. My guess was that they might practice on it quite a bit since a good number of their WCHA opponents play on NHL size rinks (as opposed to the Olympic size rink at Mariucci).

Convert the women's hockey rink into a new strength center. Biggest waste of tax money ever at the U.

You do know that biggest waste of tax payer money is actually making money?

Where is all the money going which was going to be used on a 2.5+ million dollar coach?
It better go back into the Football program.

It's pretty obvious...

That the problem with Gopher football over the last four decades is not the eight head coaches Minnesota had--it's women't athletics. Minnesota must be the only team in the Big Ten with a women's athletic department.

A stellar weight room and program can go a long way. When I was in Highschool at Mounds View we used to use the "Ohio State workout." It was named so because of it's effectiveness and at the time they had an outstanding weight room. Our coaches used to tell us about it. If we knew about it I'm sure many other coaches across the country knew about it too. It could only help for exposure to athletes across the country. I'm sure HS coaches from coast to coast talk about Oregon's brand new weight room these days.

Top Bottom