The University, Maturi, decisions

Reaction score
My 32 years in small business has taught me many things. One important thing is that every single one of us has a very small degree of knowledge of the structure of decision making in JM's office. This means that we really have little to base our criticism or praise a of decision made. Its all based on emotion and little to no facts. I believe there are at least 20 people involved in this process to hire a coach. Lawyers, agents, regents, directors, presidents, associates, advisors of all sorts, coaches, search firms, are involved. In the end these people make a decision and the majority will agree. The man with the title athletic director gets paid to make the hire based on these twenty people involved. If it goes bad, it all goes back to the guy with the title athletic director. I get tired of people saying this process is the same as the one that hired Brewster. I doubt it. I also have to laugh when I am asked "do you trust JM to make the right hire"? It should be do you trust the University to hire the right coach? Remember it is impossible to hire the right coach. Its only possible to hire potential and then back that potential up with resources and then be able to constructively defend your decision. I trust the University this time to do at least that.

My 32 years in small business has taught me many things. One important thing is that every single one of us has a very small degree of knowledge of the structure of decision making in JM's office. This means that we really have little to base our criticism or praise a of decision made. Its all based on emotion and little to no facts. I believe there are at least 20 people involved in this process to hire a coach. Lawyers, agents, regents, directors, presidents, associates, advisors of all sorts, coaches, search firms, are involved. In the end these people make a decision and the majority will agree. The man with the title athletic director gets paid to make the hire based on these twenty people involved. If it goes bad, it all goes back to the guy with the title athletic director. I get tired of people saying this process is the same as the one that hired Brewster. I doubt it. I also have to laugh when I am asked "do you trust JM to make the right hire"? It should be do you trust the University to hire the right coach? Remember it is impossible to hire the right coach. Its only possible to hire potential and then back that potential up with resources and then be able to constructively defend your decision. I trust the University this time to do at least that.

Agreed...from what I understand, the hiring of Brewster seemed to pivot on Shanahan's endorsement of him. At the time, Shanahan was a pretty good recommendation, though probably not as much now.

Agreed...from what I understand, the hiring of Brewster seemed to pivot on Shanahan's endorsement of him. At the time, Shanahan was a pretty good recommendation, though probably not as much now.

It was amazing with how big of an unknown he was, Bruininks okayed it after just one phone call. Tubby with just a phone call, duh, but Brewster?

My 33 years in a large business has taught me that you are exactly right, gopherjay. Athletics Directors at Public Universities have to operate within huge bureaucracies comprised of Boards of Regents, Presidents, Vice-presidents, Corporate Legal Counsel, Athletes, Athletes Parents, Students, Wealthy Alumni, Alumni, Taxpayers, Internet Message Board Fanatics, and Just Plain Old Fans. Outside of politics, an AD's job is one of the most difficult
jobs anywhere.

Top Bottom