The U is putting on a tailgate - The Golden Gate

Golden Gate would be a better name, but I really like the spirit behind it. Great idea!

If it was the Golden Gate, then Rice-A-Roni could sponsor it.

Why is the Victory Lot open for this event?

Why wasn't this lot available for tailgating in the previous 2 weeks? Seems to me that the U, once again, fails to see the revenue potential with its surface parking lots surrounding the stadium. Were there not enough people willing to donate the $$$ needed to secure a parking spot near the stadium this year thus the Victory Lot was not needed? Or did light rail construction schedule dictate that this lot may not be available throughout the season and therefore no spot were sold ahead of time?

Any chance that a surface lot with room for a 100+ cars 200 yards from the entrance to the stadium goes unused on a football gameday on any other Big 10 campuses? Nope, only at the U do they fritter away the possibilities.

Good idea. Hope it works.

Thumbs up, U!

I was in the Victory lot last weekend and it was very empty

Why wasn't this lot available for tailgating in the previous 2 weeks? Seems to me that the U, once again, fails to see the revenue potential with its surface parking lots surrounding the stadium. Were there not enough people willing to donate the $$$ needed to secure a parking spot near the stadium this year thus the Victory Lot was not needed? Or did light rail construction schedule dictate that this lot may not be available throughout the season and therefore no spot were sold ahead of time?

Any chance that a surface lot with room for a 100+ cars 200 yards from the entrance to the stadium goes unused on a football gameday on any other Big 10 campuses? Nope, only at the U do they fritter away the possibilities.

What are you talking about? This lot had tailgating the last 2 weeks.

Thanks Gopher Lady for the heads up. Checking With Coach Kill, he has said he wants the party started on Fridays. I am with him on that. Why is it 4-7, and not say 7-7, an all day cocktail party? I just sayin. Would it be forbidden to have a Friday Night Bonfire, maybe get Axels to sponsor. Cheerleaders, The Band and maybe Coach Kill? Maybe starting around 7PM and going till 11 or later.

Wha? Hit yer head? It was open.

Here is why I question

What are you talking about? This lot had tailgating the last 2 weeks.

https://www.mygophersports.com/ArticleMedia/Files/FBGameDayGuide2012.pdf

Page 10 showing the gameday parking map of the 2012 fan guide does not list the Victory Lot as designated for tailgating. I didn't say they were not using it for parking vehicles but it IS NOT a designated TAILGATING parking lot according to the U of M's information. So who gets to use that lot? Officals / employees / guests of the U of M?

Originally Posted by norman dale

Wha? Hit yer head? It was open.

Didn't say it wasn't open. My question is WHY IS IT NOT DESIGNATED OFFICIALLY BY THE Unversity of Minnesota for TAILGATING?

In other words, why is a surface lot, with such proximity to the stadium, not being used to generate revenue? Seems another example of the lack of foresight and creativity surrounding the gameday atmosphere. Look on the map on the aforementioned fan media pdf and you'll see what I am asking.

Just maybe, they had this sponsored tailgate planned for night games, if so, then they couldn't have it as a designated tailgate lot.

Great effort, wish we could make it. Won't be able to make this weeks game due to obvious circumstances. Will be there in spirit, though!

Whoa there, everyone, don't jump to conclusions. The capital T was accidentally left off the map. The map had an error, that's all. The Victory Lot has been and continues to be a tailgating lot. My group bought a couple passes there and have been there each of the first two games.

Whoa there, everyone, don't jump to conclusions. The capital T was accidentally left off the map. The map had an error, that's all. The Victory Lot has been and continues to be a tailgating lot. My group bought a couple passes there and have been there each of the first two games.

Thanks. That is the type of info I was looking for.

agree with the poster asking why just 4pm-7pm. no reason to not make it an all day, or at least several hours long, cocktail/tailgate party. i.e. there are plenty of people who will attend this who would have a desire to start it up before 4pm.

GL or anybody?

Do you know if the $10 includes food or if that is just for parking? Deciding if we should eat ribs/etc or bring our own.
Thanks

I will reply to my own post.

Here is the deal. This is sponsored by the Golden Gopher Fund. Its a walk-in event at the Victory Lot and the $10 covers the Famous Dave's food and tailgate. You can BYOB. No parking is provided in the lot for the public. Only those with parking passes are allowed to park there.

Pretty sure this lot is where a lot of the employees of the stadium park. I rode and tailgated with an employee this past weekend and he was given a pass to the Victory lot. As others have said, very empty!

We are taking this one in. Throw down a couple of cold Summits, wolf down some Famous Dave's, take in the pre-game, grab a beer at the Mac and get ready for some Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutball!

RSVP to Teresa Puga at [email protected]

Bayfield

I will reply to my own post.

Here is the deal. This is sponsored by the Golden Gopher Fund. Its a walk-in event at the Victory Lot and the $10 covers the Famous Dave's food and tailgate. You can BYOB. No parking is provided in the lot for the public. Only those with parking passes are allowed to park there.

Your post is the most useful one that I have ever read here (Not that there was much competition though). I already have a parking spot at a friend's house but wasn't sure if I could just walk-in. Now that I know that I can I will definitely be there. Thanks for the clarification!

Top Bottom