The Truth on Tubby

bleedgold

Reaction score
I think at this point everyone on this board would agree that Tubby has not brought to us the major wins and big time recruits we all kind of assumed we would get when he was announced as our new head coach but it is amazing to me to read how many people are calling for him to be fired or needs to resign.

I am not huge into the couldve, wouldve, shouldve game but this years team has 19 wins and they are missing their best player who if not All Big Ten would have at least been Second team All Big ten. Now although it is not a promise it is very reasonable to say with Mbawke the gophers would have a minimum of 3 more wins this year. Michigan state at home 2 weeks ago the gophers led the whole second half until about the last 2 minutes of the game. One big offensive rebound put back from Mbwake probably gives us the win in that game. The wisconsin game at home was very similar. The OT loss to Illinois we would have won and we even probably beat Iowa once. So not only do we have 3 or 4 more wins, 2 of them are against top 25 teams in the nation. Now instead of having 18 wins and limping into the Big Ten Tournament we are headed into the big ten tournament with 21 or 22 wins and a for sure berth into the Dance and probably looking at a 7 or 8 seed with a first round winnable game. If that was the case half of the people on this board calling for Tubby to resign or be fired would be stoked to see the gophers win in the first round and get a chance to play in the 2nd round.

Even last year the team had 17 wins and although it was a disappointing season for the gophers and they were hard to watch I am not sure anyone can argue that we would NOT have been better if we had Nolan running the point instead of Hoffarber. With Nolan you can almost promise 3 more wins which gets us to 20 wins and do not forget we were ranked pretty high last year pre-nolan injury.

Now with all that being said, if Tubby recruited better and made us deeper we shouldnt have to have our whole season rely on Mbwake being healthy all year. I also do not think Tubby has done a fantastic job and should be here another 20 years either but he keeps us competitive in every game. There has been 2 maybe 3 games all year where we actually have had our butts kicked. Prior to Tubby having 7 wins against teams ranked in the top 15 the last one prior was in the year 2000. CLearly we are at least competitive with top notch teams year in and year out.

Maybe I am way off base but it would be nice to see the reverse side if Mkbwake was healthy all year and we magically had a 24 win season if everyone still would be a Tubby Hater. I dont know just a thought......

Brace yourself. The inevitable poo storm is coming from all sides.

Your truth is false. Brought us the recruits needed they just got hurt, took jeans from the mall or transferred to be close to mom. That's the real poo!

Can we please end the self importance on both sides? Please no more threads with should've, would've, could've. Can we agree to end these pompous posts and come to the consensus that Tubby gets the Brewster extension and will keep or lose his job if he makes the tournament next year, no matter how many injuries/ transfers occur?

Now with all that being said, if Tubby recruited better and made us deeper we shouldnt have to have our whole season rely on Mbwake being healthy all year.

Pretty good post and I agree with most of what you said.

But about the above. I think he has recruited pretty well since he took over. The much bigger problem is the transfers. If just one of the three (Cobbs, Joseph, White) transfer then we have a ton of depth. I'm not making excuses as you can probably blame Tubby for some of these things.

This is really new ground-breaking stuff. We need more new threads like that. I don't understand why we never discuss the head coach around here.

This is really new ground-breaking stuff. We need more new threads like that. I don't understand why we never discuss the head coach around here.

What else is there to talk about? It's not like we have a big game coming up at 5:30 today or anything.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think you can automatically assume that Mbakwe in the lineup would have translated into "X" number of additional wins.

Nobody can say what would have happened if Mbakwe had been healthy. It's possible the Gophs would have won a few more games - but it's also possible that their record may have been the same, or even worse. Yes, having another rebounder and inside scorer would have been a plus - but it would have meant Rodney Williams staying at the SF, instead of moving inside where he has been more effective. There's a butterfly effect here - you can't just assume that adding Mbakwe would have meant an additional X#of pts and rebs per game - because other players' numbers and playing time would have been impacted, too.

And, having Mbakwe would have done nothing for some of the team's other problem areas - especially ball-handling, shot selection, game tempo, substitution patterns, and some of the late-game meltdowns. Actually, I think the biggest advantage would have been in some of the late-game situations - throw him the ball, hope to draw a foul and get him on the FT line. I would have had a lot more confidence with Mbakwe at the line than Welch.

But, as much as I would have liked to have had Mbakwe in the lineup, there's just no way to say what would have happened. You don't get to go back and play the season over again. (Just ask the Twins.....)

Your truth is false. Brought us the recruits needed they just got hurt, took jeans from the mall or transferred to be close to mom. That's the real poo!

Depends on your expectations. If you expected Big 10 title contention, and strong
NCAA runs, then it is NOT false. You could have kept them all and they still wouldn't
be at that level.

This board would have been dead and gone long, long ago if the threshhold for a new post was ground breaking information. I say bring it on. If it's not new enough- don't read it.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think you can automatically assume that Mbakwe in the lineup would have translated into "X" number of additional wins.

Nobody can say what would have happened if Mbakwe had been healthy. It's possible the Gophs would have won a few more games - but it's also possible that their record may have been the same, or even worse. Yes, having another rebounder and inside scorer would have been a plus - but it would have meant Rodney Williams staying at the SF, instead of moving inside where he has been more effective. There's a butterfly effect here - you can't just assume that adding Mbakwe would have meant an additional X#of pts and rebs per game - because other players' numbers and playing time would have been impacted, too.

And, having Mbakwe would have done nothing for some of the team's other problem areas - especially ball-handling, shot selection, game tempo, substitution patterns, and some of the late-game meltdowns. Actually, I think the biggest advantage would have been in some of the late-game situations - throw him the ball, hope to draw a foul and get him on the FT line. I would have had a lot more confidence with Mbakwe at the line than Welch.

But, as much as I would have liked to have had Mbakwe in the lineup, there's just no way to say what would have happened. You don't get to go back and play the season over again. (Just ask the Twins.....)

I think Mbakwe's senior on-floor leadership would have been very helpful in the late game situations, outside of just being one hell of a post presence. I think he could have kept the team's head in the game and prevented collapses in both Iowa games and Michigan State, maybe even stolen one from Wisconsin in overtime.

Depends on your expectations. If you expected Big 10 title contention, and strong
NCAA runs, then it is NOT false. You could have kept them all and they still wouldn't
be at that level.

I think that's pretty hard to argue, with two dominant upperclassmen players like Trevor and Royce on the floor, a junior Justin Cobbs and a senior Devoe Joseph in the back court. Ralph and Colt coming off the bench, we'd be a strong and very experienced team. Especially when you consider how good we were last season pre-Nolen injury and Joseph transfer, add Royce White to that team and they're even better. Top 10 nationally? Very possible.

I think Mbakwe's senior on-floor leadership would have been very helpful in the late game situations, outside of just being one hell of a post presence. I think he could have kept the team's head in the game and prevented collapses in both Iowa games and Michigan State, maybe even stolen one from Wisconsin in overtime.

I think that's pretty hard to argue, with two dominant upperclassmen players like Trevor and Royce on the floor, a junior Justin Cobbs and a senior Devoe Joseph in the back court. Ralph and Colt coming off the bench, we'd be a strong and very experienced team. Especially when you consider how good we were last season pre-Nolen injury and Joseph transfer, add Royce White to that team and they're even better. Top 10 nationally? Very possible.
Blah blah blah. File this in the could've category.

The bigger issue is that in those late game situations the 2 other players neeed to step up after Mbakwe went down RSIII and Williams either don't have the ability or are unwilling to take on that responsibilty. From what I saw Williams in those games he didn't want the responsibility.

You have to put some of the transfer issues directly on Tubby's back. When you recruit a kid for your system there has to be some knowledge that he will be unhappy if he is expecting something different.

The transfer issue stings my ass cause you don't see it that often at better programs. Usually when guys are transferring it is because of discipline or coach changes. Cobbs and Colton were neither. Joseph wasn't kicked off but I know he had some issues with Tubby but I believe they were related more to the playing time and style.

Tubby's B1G record has barely exceeded Monson's. What else is there to discuss?

be at that level.

Really? Well I guess you can just give me todays lottery numbers then since you frickin know everything. You need to quit posting crap like this and leave this board if you continue with garbage like this.

any doorknob would know tubby has done well in recruiting for a nondescript big ten team. Retention is the issue

Whathavewedone said:
be at that level.
I'm talking about recruiting. Read threads.

Top Bottom