The Tressel Emails

Duluthguy

Reaction score
In the news conference the other day Tresel claimed he kept quiet because (1). he was scared for his players (2) his players were involved in a federal drug case (3). he was supposed to keep everything quiet because it was an on-going case. (These are my interpretations of what he said or was implying.)

However, if you read the first email on April 2, the lawyer was simply giving him a heads up that some cop friends of his told him that they found OSU memorabilia in the raid and that it probably came from some players. It in no way linked the players to the case. More importantly, there was no request for confidentiality.

In a second email about two weeks later, the lawyer supplied more details about the items found and mentioned several players names, but there again was nothing connecting the players to the case other than they had obviously sold the stuff to the man in exchange for money or tatoos. The lawyer asked for the email to be kept confidential - apparently because he was breaking his confidentiality with the suspect.

In June the lawyer even sent Tressel a picture of the guy so Tressel could show it to the players involved and warn them to stay away from the guy, so the lawyer obviously expected something to be done with the information he was supplying.

Seems to me Tressel is still having problems with the truth, and I can't figure out why the national media is him letting get by with it.

Link (bottom of page): http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/extras/2011/tresselviolation/index.html

This probably won't end well for either Tressel or OSU. The question is which team in the conference will be able to capitalize on it. Unfortunately I think it may be our neighbor to the east that we all assume got screwed in the conference alignment.

In the news conference the other day Tresel claimed he kept quiet because (1). he was scared for his players (2) his players were involved in a federal drug case (3). he was supposed to keep everything quiet because it was an on-going case. (These are my interpretations of what he said or was implying.)

However, if you read the first email on April 2, the lawyer was simply giving him a heads up that some cop friends of his told him that they found OSU memorabilia in the raid and that it probably came from some players. It in no way linked the players to the case. More importantly, there was no request for confidentiality.

In a second email about two weeks later, the lawyer supplied more details about the items found and mentioned several players names, but there again was nothing connecting the players to the case other than they had obviously sold the stuff to the man in exchange for money or tatoos. The lawyer asked for the email to be kept confidential - apparently because he was breaking his confidentiality with the suspect.

In June the lawyer even sent Tressel a picture of the guy so Tressel could show it to the players involved and warn them to stay away from the guy, so the lawyer obviously expected something to be done with the information he was supplying.

Seems to me Tressel is still having problems with the truth, and I can't figure out why the national media is him letting get by with it.

Link (bottom of page): http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/extras/2011/tresselviolation/index.html

Dan Patrick and SI are justly beating him around pretty well.

With all this, the pressure is really gonna be on what the NCAA does. Some things, in the end, can NOT continue to be swept under the rug. Back in the days of Mychal Thompson, the Gophers had to vacate a whole season (+ other penalties), so let's see if the big shots have any nuts in their scrotums this time around. That goes for Tennessee too.

Short term it doesn't help but in the long run it may not amount to much. USC had more serious issues yet hauled in a Top 5 recruiting class this year even with scholarship limitations. In the past, other big programs with big problems seem to walk away without much damage long term which is too bad. Unfortunately, this will probably just be a hiccup for OSU.

Short term it doesn't help but in the long run it may not amount to much. USC had more serious issues yet hauled in a Top 5 recruiting class this year even with scholarship limitations. In the past, other big programs with big problems seem to walk away without much damage long term which is too bad. Unfortunately, this will probably just be a hiccup for OSU.

The scholarship limitations have yet to come into effect as an appeal of the penalties by USC is still pending.

At least it should provide some interesting student chants this fall.

I think OSU will be in trouble with the dreaded institutional control. The individual player violations are not nearly as big as Bush at USC, but there are more of them. In addition, the coach who knew and didn't report was much more prominent than at USC and he may have lied to the NCAA multiple times.

Ohio State will come out of this like every other helmet school. They will not miss a beat and Tressel will probably get a raise.

Tressel is dirtier than Bud Kilmer in Varsity Blues. You don't build a powerhouse at Youngstown St and then have a run like this at Ohio St without a little dirt under the finger nails. He dresses the part, he's built an image behind the power of the vest, but beneath his cotton shield is just another run of the mill corrupt, wins over morality collegiate coach. He's the warden in Shawshank.

Terrell Pryor cruises around Columbus in "borrowed" SUVs from a local car dealer. Tressel gets caught up in a scandal, sweeps it under the rug and then covers it up. Plays dumb and issues some bush-league suspension--five games, but not the bowl game...GTFOH. That's the biggest crock of *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# I've ever heard. Five games, but not the next one. How did he announce that with a straight face? How is that a fitting punishment?

Meanwhile inbetween counting the millions that the football team generates, the President at Ohio St, not only tolerates it, he enables Tressel. Their penalty for him: two non-conference games and 8% of his salary? Wow, that's rough. Tressel just pretended like his never happened and then continued that charade when the violations came out.

The deceit and subsequent cover-up were worse than the crime itself, so why does Tressel only get two games and the players get 5?

It's all stinks. It's the tip of the iceberg. The fact Tressel did not act immediately is grounds for firing. It shows you his integrity and where his values lie. He sets a beautiful example for his players and his staff...Christ...but hey, he beats Michigan and delivers BCS money, so who cares?

my fiance is a student athlete at youngstown state and is not from the country so is sort of clueless on the whole sports culture in america, but all she talks about is how great this Tresel guy has to be if he is donating millions of dollars to Youngstown St. to put up the new "Tressel Watts" indoor football, indoor track facility. I've been telling her for years, this guy is like everything good to come out of Youngstown, to good to be true and dirtier than dirt...like Kelly Pavlik.

Top Bottom