The three students killed in a shooting at the University of Virginia were all members of the school's football team

Per ESPN:

Police in Charlottesville, Virginia, are searching for a former University of Virginia football player who is suspected of killing three football players and wounding two other students on campus late Sunday night.

Three Virginia football players -- wide receivers Lavel Davis Jr. and Devin Chandler and linebacker D'Sean Perry -- were confirmed by university president James E. Ryan as those killed Sunday night.

Multiple law enforcement agencies were still searching for Christopher Darnell Jones Jr., who was listed as a freshman running back on the team's 2018 roster. His roster bio noted that he previously played at Petersburg High School and Varina High School in Virginia.

At 10:33 a.m. ET, a shelter-in-place order was lifted on the Virginia campus, after a "thorough search on and around" the campus, according to a tweet by the UVA Police Department.

Earlier, police said there was a massive manhunt underway for Jones and residents were advised to "expect increased law enforcement presence."

The UVA Police Department tweeted early Monday morning that it was looking for Jones regarding the shooting, which occurred in a parking garage on campus around 10:30 p.m. ET Sunday. The tweet included the same photograph of Jones that was used for his Virginia football bio online.

UVA police described Jones as a suspect and said he was wearing a burgundy jacket or hoodie, blue jeans and red shoes. Police said he might be driving a black SUV with Virginia plates. They said the suspect is armed and dangerous.

Ryan confirmed in a message to the community at 4 a.m. ET Monday that three people were killed and two others were injured. Ryan wrote that "one of our students, Christopher Darnell Jones Jr., is suspected to have committed the shooting."

"As of this writing, I am heartbroken to report that the shooting has resulted in three fatalities; two additional victims were injured and are receiving medical care," Ryan wrote. "We are working closely with the families of the victims, and we will share additional detail as soon as we are able.

"Our University Police Department has joined forces with other law enforcement agencies to apprehend the suspect, and we will keep our community apprised of developments as the situation evolves. This is a message any leader hopes never to have to send, and I am devastated that this violence has visited the University of Virginia."

Davis, a junior from Dorchester, South Carolina, had 16 catches for 371 yards and two touchdowns this season. As a freshman in 2020, he caught 20 passes for 515 yards and five TDs, averaging 25.8 yards per catch. He did not play during the 2021 season due to a knee injury that required surgery.

"Saddening, saddening news this morning," his cousin, Newberry College assistant coach Sean Lampkin, posted to Twitter on Monday. "God took one of his most kind, humble, loving soldiers off of the battlefield last night. Please pray for my family as we are devastated by the passing of my cousin Lavel Davis Jr."

Perry, a junior from Miami, had five tackles in three games this season, including two in Saturday's loss to Pitt. He had an 84-yard interception return for a touchdown during his freshman season in 2020.

Said Davis' father, Lavel Davis Sr., in a Facebook post: "Lord please help me."

Chandler, a junior from Huntersville, North Carolina, has not appeared in a game this season. He caught two passes for 28 yards as a freshman in 2020.

What a crazy story. Given that the 3 dead and 2 wounded were all football players and the suspect is a former player there has to be some connection to their time on the team.

Will be interesting to see if they can determine a motive once they catch the guy. Just tragic.

Wow. This really isn't important at all in the scheme of things, but I wonder if Virginia finishes their season or just ends it.

Chandler played for the Badgers in 2020.

Crazy and sad situation.

Tragic to say the least.

Suspect is in custody per ESPN report.

Awful news....my gosh.
Prayers to their families and team.

Do the Cavaliers even finish the season at this point?

What a crazy story. Given that the 3 dead and 2 wounded were all football players and the suspect is a former player there has to be some connection to their time on the team.

Will be interesting to see if they can determine a motive once they catch the guy. Just tragic.
The news story mentioned something about hazing ...

Wow. This really isn't important at all in the scheme of things, but I wonder if Virginia finishes their season or just ends it.
I suspect the later.

I wondered the same thing as insignificant as it is. I'd probably let the players vote on something like this, but I'd certainly try to reschedule this week's game. But man, how far down the list of priorities does football seem when you read something like this? Devastating.

Why do people on the news continue to babble about a motive in these not domestic and not robbery or drug-related shootings?
Most of these shooters are on the spectrum with no empathy or are certifiable.

Why do people on the news continue to babble about a motive in these not domestic and not robbery or drug-related shootings?
So they can push a certain agenda.. But what sick pos get joy out of hazing??

Possible copycats vs one off situation?

The news story mentioned something about hazing ...
I read that the suspect hadn't been on the team since 2018? Or did I get that wrong?

Edit: Now seeing reports of a hazing investigation that had been closed but doesn't say how he was involved in the hazing.

Last edited:

Hazing seems like an odd motive since the 3 deceased werent on campus in 2018, which was the shooters only year on the team. It also sounds like he was the one being investigated for hazing based on the wording in the article.

Even folks on the spectrum with no empathy or conscience typically have a motive to commit a mass murder. And "normal" human beings--ones who wouldn't think of shooting unarmed, defenseless fellow humans--are rightfully curious about what drives such murderers. It is human nature. The fact is that the murderer's true motive, or the thing that made him snap, might never be accurately divined. Yet the general public's thirst for an explanation will never be slaked.

What makes someone on the spectrum or someone with severe mental illness "snap" is something that would be easily handled by normal people.
That is why hoping for a "motive" is useless and bad because it clouds the reality that since it has become impossible to hospitalize mentally ill people they are out there, often homeless, and a threat to themselves and others.
Those on the spectrum with access to weapons are another problem that can be mitigated only by forbidding the sale and possession of assault rifles.

“Those on the spectrum with access to weapons are another problem that can be mitigated only by forbidding the sale and possession of assault rifles.”

Except this one the police said a handgun.

At least one of the injured is also a football player.

I saw somewhere that the father of the suspect said his son has been very paranoid recently and was told he was being picked on.

Their game this Saturday against Coastal Carolina has been cancelled (home finale). Season Finale vs Va Tech still undecided.

Their game this Saturday against Coastal Carolina has been cancelled (home finale). Season Finale vs Va Tech still undecided.

Given what Va Tech went through a few years back with their school shooting, if there is any school that can help heal it's them, and given they are in-state foes, I would think the game vs Va Tech will happen and will be a celebration of life, a healing moment where the whole state puts their football rivalry aside and comes together as one state. It would be an incredible moment to see both football teams hand in hand at the 50 yard line, honoring the jerseys of the fallen players, putting aside a rivalry and bringing together a community.

Given what Va Tech went through a few years back with their school shooting, if there is any school that can help heal it's them, and given they are in-state foes, I would think the game vs Va Tech will happen and will be a celebration of life, a healing moment where the whole state puts their football rivalry aside and comes together as one state. It would be an incredible moment to see both football teams hand in hand at the 50 yard line, honoring the jerseys of the fallen players, putting aside a rivalry and bringing together a community.

Season over.

On the good news side, Mike Hollins, the player who was injured in the shooting has been released from the hospital.

So they can push a certain agenda.. But what sick pos get joy out of hazing??
Reports say his time on the team was brief, he had no overlap on the team with those he shot, and he had little or no interaction with any of the students while on the trip.

Top Bottom