The Strange World of Jojo Garcia

I wonder how much the de-commit was from Jojo's side. 247 sports shows the U's interest as cool. The other schools that were interested are now listed as no interest.

My guess is he goes DII or JC for a year or two before an FBS will extend him an offer. Or he'd have to walk on, assuming he's academically qualified (I have no reason to think he's not other than thinking that the amount of times he transferred had to make it tough to get the right classes in to qualify).

Hope he gets his stuff together. Sad waste of talent if he doesn't.

I don't think the Gophers did their homework on this one. Writing was on the wall long before the de-commit. The offer should not have never been made.

I don't think the Gophers did their homework on this one. Writing was on the wall long before the de-commit. The offer should not have never been made.

Based on what? Usually*, you believe a school when they say a player lives in their district....

You've got your 20-20 hindsight glasses on, maybe two pair.

* meaning always

They definitely did their homework and knew full well he may not be eligible or would need to go to a JUCO but he was good enough to ride it out and he wanted to be a Gopher. Why refuse a kid like that? You lose nothing by offering and accepting a commitment.

Imagine the outcry if they didn't offer him and he got his life turned around, then went to Michigan St. or Wisconsin.

An offer is just an offer, no binding contract. No harm for them to see what would happen. My guess is the coaches had a good idea for awhile that he probably wasn't coming to MN.

Tough story to read. I hope it all comes together for him. Let the kid wrestle for heaven's sake. I get why the MSHSL rides herd on the transfer angle, but I think they should let up here.

You are supposed to attend the district you are paying into, even if you are a talented athlete.

Hope he can get on track. Sounds like athletics are a healthy thing for him.

Tough story to read. I hope it all comes together for him. Let the kid wrestle for heaven's sake. I get why the MSHSL rides herd on the transfer angle, but I think they should let up here.

You can't change the rules on a case-by-case basis. The reason the transfer rules exist is to try and keep kids from "team-shopping" and - to be honest - to keep certain programs from "recruiting" athletes. And, even with the existing rules, some families skirt around the edges by 'changing their primary residence' strictly so a kid can play sports at a different district. I know of a case where a kid 'moved' to a different district, and after winning a state Wrestling title, 'moved' out of that district before the end of the school year.

It does make it tough for coaches and administrators to stay on top of things, and verify compliance. Almost every year, some team in MN winds up having to forfeit games because they were found to be using an ineligible player.

Top Bottom