The Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jeryy Kill - 6/24/12

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Kill's responses and comments to queries by Sid Hartman and Dave Mona on the Sports Huddle:

1) Sid opened the show asking about the social event "Date Night With Coach Kill" and his wife, Rebecca: The evening event at TCF Bank Stadium will take place on Thursday, July 19. It's an opportunity to take couples "through a game day experience." They'll tour the stadium and locker room and meet with coach Kill, his wife, Rebecca, and the coaching staff.

2) Sid then mentioned two commits (no names given) that came from recent camps: Kill said, "Can't say a whole lot about that." He did say, however, that he'd like to get six more commits in July following summer camps. He later said one of the camps is junior-related and one for senior students. He said you recruit right up to signing day in February. (Once a player commits you continue to keep in contact and recruit them as well as other players.)

3) Sid asked what the coaches are doing now that June's summer camps are finished: Kill said he keeps 2 or 3 coaches in the office and they're evaluating recruits and current personnel. It's also a time for the coaches to get a break from football and take their vacations. He closed saying he wants coaches to be available, if a player they're recruiting contacts the football office/coach, that's the reason he keeps 2 or 3 coaches in the office during the summer period.

4) Mona mentioned Norwood Teague's first week on the job as AD and that he continually notes the importance of football: "I'm sure it's been a whirlwind for him." Kill mentioned his first week on the job and it being a whirlwind experience. He said he's looking forward to sitting down with the new AD. The opportunity to sit down with the new AD hasn't presented itself as he (Kill) has been extremely busy as well. He finished the question raised by Dave Mona by saying, "We've got to start winning to help the other sports."

5) Sid again asked about Gjere and Beal: Kill responded saying Gjere is lifting and running and that Beal is getting better. He anticipates everyone will be ready when August's two-a-days open. He said they can bring 105 players to camp and there are more than 105 players on the team. As a result, they'll have to make some tough decisions as to who will be invited to the start of the two-a-days. He said it's conceivable a player(s) on scholarship not being invited. (In short, all must compete and nothing is certain.)

6) New Playoff system: "Everyone's trying get the best formula . . . bottom line do what's best for the sport." He finished by saying he's more concerned about his team and how they can ge better.

7) Mona asked the final question about pre-season scheduling: Kill responded, "My personal opinion, our schedule this year is a good schedule." (This season's non-conference schedule inlcude UNLV, New Hampshire, Western Michigan and Syracuse.) He then said he'd like to see an 8 game home schedule and then responded to the question saying, "I didn't put North Carolina on the schedule." He also said he's not sure how that'll work out (whether or not they'll get out of the scheduling contract with the Tar Heels). He then listed a number of Big 10 opponents and said he didn't want to get his team beat up in the non-conference games. That said, he also acknowldged that you want to play competitive teams that make you better, "Need to play good competition and win." Again, he said he likes this year's non-conference schedule.

Go Gophers!!

Thanx, DL. This is a lot different than last year.

I think he also mentioned that they are "further along than usual" or something to that sort on game opponent preparation. Did I hear that?

Once again, DL, you're doing a bang-up job.

I think he also mentioned that they are "further along than usual" or something to that sort on game opponent preparation. Did I hear that?

You're correct. He was referencing football operations personnel and the coaches viewing tapes/films of this year's opponents.

Thanks for catching the comment.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for all of your time and energy for these summaries, DL. Great job.

Thanks, DL.

He mentioned Gjere by name, but did he specifically say anything about Beal?

Thanks, DL.

He mentioned Gjere by name, but did he specifically say anything about Beal?

After briefly mentioning Gjere's name and that he was lifting and running he quickly said Beal is "getting better." That was all he said about Beal.

Go Gophers!!

Not thrilled with the response about liking this year's schedule. I understand his reasons - wants wins, doesn't want the team beat up, but from a fan's standpoint it's not all that interesting of a pre-Big Ten schedule this year.

After briefly mentioning Gjere's name and that he was lifting and running he quickly said Beal is "getting better." That was all he said about Beal.

Go Gophers!!

I'll be amazed if he ever plays a snap of meaningful college football. He just has awful luck with injuries.

Not thrilled with the response about liking this year's schedule. I understand his reasons - wants wins, doesn't want the team beat up, but from a fan's standpoint it's not all that interesting of a pre-Big Ten schedule this year.

Could be much worse. I'd give this year's schedule a 7 or 8 out of 10. It has a good road trip, a non-Dakota FCS, the seemingly required MAC game, and a winnable game versus a BCS opponent at night. The only real improvement you could look for is a better BCS foe. I know the particular opponents lack a little sizzle, but since we're trying to get to bowl eligibility I'm less bothered by that.

He said they can bring 105 players to camp and there are more than 105 players on the team. As a result, they'll have to make some tough decisions as to who will be invited to the start of the two-a-days. He said it's conceivable a player(s) on scholarship not being invited. (In short, all must compete and nothing is certain.)
That's an interesting quote. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out.

Top Bottom