The Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 11/18/12

DL65

Reaction score
Today's comments and responses by coach Kill on the Sports Huddle:

1) Yesterday's loss to Nebraska: "I think the biggest thing as coach that I take responsibility." He then talked about the domination of the line of scrimmage by the Cornhuskers: "When you don't control the line of scrimmage, it's going to be difficult to win." He spoke highly of Nebraska's defensive line: "They took it to us."

2) Kirkwood being shut down: "You win games up front . . . Offensive line has had its share of injuries and is beat up; they took it to us . . . Lose the line of scrimmage and you lose." He later mentioned that seven or eight players were injured yesterday and that seven or eight players didn't make the travel squad because of injuries.

3) Taking out Nelson in the 4th quarter: "Doesn't mean anything (Nelson's the QB) . . . we were asking too much of the QB." Dropped balls hurt and wanted to give Max Shortell an opportunity (valuable game time reps). He also said they were (Minnesota) playing a lot of second team players on defense in the fourth quarter. Because of the many injuries, the team has run out of depth, especially on offensive line. Coach Kill was emphatic when he said he wouldn't pull any redshirts (too late in the season).

4) Sid asked about team improvement in yesterday's game: "We've played better . . . we felt we had a good plan . . . we're a better team than yesterday . . . I take respnsibility." He went out of his way in saying he didn't blame the kids, but, rather, he failed in coaching (getting the players where they needed to be).

5) Dave mentioned Nebraska's outstanding facilities: "Football wise, isn't any question." He then spoke glowingly about the game day atmosphere in Lincoln and the strong fan base: "Fans in red . . . 80,000 fans in their seats 30 minutes before the kick-off . . . . they love football . . . football is important."

6) Sid followed up with another question on Nebraska's facilities: "We had a lot of people (fans) visiting (yesterday's game) and the administration visited earlier (checking out the facilities)." He said, "You need to know what your competition is doing . . . we want to be the way it is in Nebraska (facilities, fans, enthusiasm, atmoshpere, etc.) . . . it'll take time." He finished up saying, again, "We can play better than we did yesterday." He also said it's time to move on and get ready for MSU.

7) Injuries, Injuries, Injuries: "We'll know this afternoon (Beal's and Jones' injuries)." He sounded down when talking about Beal and how he felt for him and all that he's gone through (tough luck). Others mentioned as being injured yesterday were Marek Lenkiewicz and Ed Olson. "We've got to find a way to move players around on the offensive line . . . we'll not pull any redshirts."

8) Sid asked who played center yesterday: "Zac Epping did a good job." He said Zac's natural position is guard. He sounded pleased with his play at center as there weren't any problems with the center/quarterback exchanges. (He mentioned the strong wind was a concern with the shotgun snaps, however, Zac performed well.)

9) Sid asked if Nelson would start against MSU: "No problem there." He went on to say the problem was in the team's execution, being dominated on the line of scrimmage, and too many dropped balls.

10) Sid asked about Marquies Gray: "Just getting where he's healthy." Did touch on his running for touchdowns in the fourth quarter. (But he didn't elaborate or spend too much time on the plays that he scored (showing new wrinkles in the offense))). He finished up saying: "We're a young that was manhandled by Nebraska."

11) Dave asked for his thoughts about redshirts being able to play in bowl games and not lose a year of eligibility: Speaking about a rule in the future that would allow them to play: "I think it should. The teams that are winning are healthy (Again, speaking about the high number of injuries that Minnesota is experiencing. Something he hasn't seen in his many years of coaching.) He believes the bowl game should be treated as the start of the next season and the redshirts should be allowed to play.

12) MSU: He menitoned MSU needing a win to become bowl eligible (they have a lot to play for). Kill then said Minnesota has a lot to play for, too: "It's a time to recognize the seniors (he said the seniors have gone through a lot during their college careers) . . . You'll always remember your last home game."

13) MSU defense: "They lost a lot of close games . . . 9 of 11 are back from last year . . . Bell runs hard downhill and is physical . . . QB (Maxwell) is young like Nelson . . . should be a great game and we're looking forward to the challenge."

14) Punting game: Kill said Christian Eldred was punting into a strong wind yesterday and referenced the short punt of only seven yards. No doubt he struggled yesterday. However, Kill was quick to add, "Biggest thing, we punted too much."

15) Barker's status: "I don't think he'll be back until the bowl game . . . AJ wants to play . . . high ankle sprains take time to heal up."

16) Sid asked about bowl game preparations: Kill said it's too early to discuss preparations. Need to know where they're playing first and how far." Kill hastened to add that they need to prepare for MSU first.

17) Dave asked about recruits that might report early and if that's discussed during recruiting stops: "We hope 3 or 4 come in at semester." (He acknowledged it is a topic of discussion with some of the recruits.)

18) Asked how recruiting is going: "I think it's going well . . . we're trying to be selective . . . those that will fit in . . . you never know until they sign." He added, "We have to recruit, get ready for our bowl, and most importantly, get ready for Michigan State."

19) Dave asked if he was in favor of an early signing period: Kill wasn't too specific in his response. He said there are a lot variables that come into play when you talk about football recruiting and an early signing period.

20) Can they attend the Prep Bowl: He said they'll know more today when they sit down with their recruiting coordinator . . . where they presently stand in their alltotment of on-site recruiting/observations. His response sounded as though that's the plan.

Go Gophers!!

Today's comments and responses by coach Kill on the Sports Huddle:

1) Yesterday's loss to Nebraska: "I think the biggest thing as coach that I take responsiblity." He then talked about the donination of the line of scrimmage by the Cornhuskers: "When you don't control the line of scrimmage, it's going to be difficult to win." He spoke highly of Nebraska's defensive line: "They took it to us."

2) Kirkwood being shut down: "You win games up front . . . Offensive line has had its share of injuries and is beat up; they took it to us . . . Lose the line of scrimmage and you lose." He later mentioned that seven or eight players were injured yesterday and that seven or eight players didn't make the travel squad because of injuries.

3) Taking out Nelson in the 4th quarter: "Doesn't mean anything (Nelson's the QB) . . . we were asking too much of the QB." Dropped balls hurt and wanted to give Max Shortell an opportunity (valuable game time reps). He also said they were (Minnesota) playing a lot of second team players on defense in the fourth quarter. Because of the many injuries, the team has run out of depth, especially on offensive line. Coach Kill was emphatic when he said he wouldn't pull any redshirts (too late in the season).

4) Sid asked about team improvement in yesterday's game: "We've played better . . . we felt we had a good plan . . . we're a better team than yesterday . . . I take respnsibility." He went out of his way in saying he didn't blame the kids, but, rather, he failed in coaching (getting the players where they needed to be).

5) Dave mentioned Nebraska's outstanding facilities: "Football wise, isn't any question." He then spoke glowingly about the game day atmosphere in Lincoln and the strong fan base: "Fans in red . . . 80,000 fans in their seats 30 minutes before the kick-off . . . . they love football . . . football is important."

6) Sid followed up with another question on Nebraska's facilities: "We had a lot of people (fans) visiting (yesterday's game) and the administration visited earlier (checking out the facilities)." He said, "You need to know what your competition is doing . . . we want to be the way it is in Nebraska (facilities, fans, enthusiasm, atmoshpere, etc.) . . . it'll take time." He finished up saying, again, "We can play better than we did yesterday." He also said it's time to move on and get ready for MSU.

7) Injuries, Injuries, Injuries: "We'll know this afternoon (Beal's and Jones' injuries)." He sounded down when talking about Beal and how he felt for him and all that he's gone through (tough luck). Others mentioned as being injured yesterday were Marek Lenkiewicz and Ed Olson. "We've got to find a way to move players around on the offensive line . . . we'll not pull any redshirts."

8) Sid asked who played center yesterday: "Zac Epping did a good job." He said Zac's natural position is guard. He sounded pleased with his play at center as there weren't any problems with the center/quarterback exchanges. (He mentioned the strong wind was a concern with the shotgun snaps, however, Zac performed well.)

9) Sid asked if Nelson would start against MSU: "No problem there." He went on to say the problem was in the team's execution, being dominated on the line of scrimmage, and too many dropped balls.

10) Sid asked about Marquies Gray: "Just getting where he's healthy." Did touch on his running for touchdowns in the fourth quarter. (But he didn't elaborate or spend too much time on the plays that he scored (showing new wrinkles in the offense))). He finished up saying: "We're a young that was manhandled by Nebraska."

11) Dave asked for his thoughts about redshirts being able to play in bowl games and not lose a year of eligibility: Speaking about a rule in the future that would allow them to play: "I think it should. The teams that are winning are healthy (Again, speaking about the high number of injuries that Minnesota is experiencing. Something he hasn't seen in his many years of coaching.) He believes the bowl game should be treated as the start of the next season and the redshirts should be allowed to play.

12) MSU: He menitoned MSU needing a win to become bowl eligible (they have a lot to play for). Kill then said Minnesota has a lot to play for, too: "It's a time to recognize the seniors (he said the seniors have gone through a lot during their college careers) . . . You'll always remember your last home game."

13) MSU defense: "They lost a lot of close games . . . 9 of 11 are back from last year . . . Bell runs hard downhill and is physical . . . QB (Maxwell) is young like Nelson . . . should be a great game and we're looking forward to the challenge."

14) Punting game: Kill said Christian Eldred was punting into a strong wind yesterday and referenced the short punt of only seven yards. No doubt he struggled yesterday. However, Kill was quick to add, "Biggest thing, we punted too much."

15) Barker's status: "I don't think he'll be back until the bowl game . . . AJ wants to play . . . high ankle sprains take time to heal up."

16) Sid asked about bowl game preparations: Kill said it's too early to discuss preparations. Need to know where they're playing first and how far." Kill hastened to add that they need to prepare for MSU first.

17) Dave asked about recruits that might report early and if that's discussed during recruiting stops: "We hope 3 or 4 come in at semester." (He acknowledged it is a topic of discussion with some of the recruits.)

18) Asked how recruiting is going: "I think it's going well . . . we're trying to be selective . . . those that will fit in . . . you never know until they sign." He added, "We have to recruit, get ready for our bowl, and most importantly, get ready for Michigan State."

19) Dave asked if he was in favor of an early signing period: Kill wasn't too specific in his response. He said there are a lot variables that come into play when you talk about football recruiting and an early signing period.

20) Can they attend the Prep Bowl: He said they'll know more today when they sit down with their recruiting coordinator . . . where they presently stand in their alltotment of on-site recruiting/observations. His response sounded as though that's the plan.

Go Gophers!!

DL....Thanks. Your reports are invaluable and much appreciated to us outside the TC area.

Thanks as always for the writeup. Kill needs to lay off the whole "all the blame rides on me" line because it comes across so phony. Lots of coaches do it but should just tell it like it is. "Got our asses kicked in all phases yesterday and we are going to work our butt off to make sure those kind of loses become a thing of the past". Would rather hear that than "the blame falls on Coach Kill". If that were really the case then he would deserve to be fired because he has taken the blame for multiple losses at this point and if he is the only reason we are losing then kick his ass to the curb and bring in a coach that can win. (for those of you that can't figure it out, I am not advocating Kill gets fired just tired of the I take full responsibility for the loss line because no one with half a brain would buy it).

Thanks as always for the writeup. Kill needs to lay off the whole "all the blame rides on me" line because it comes across so phony. Lots of coaches do it but should just tell it like it is. "Got our asses kicked in all phases yesterday and we are going to work our butt off to make sure those kind of loses become a thing of the past". Would rather hear that than "the blame falls on Coach Kill". If that were really the case then he would deserve to be fired because he has taken the blame for multiple losses at this point and if he is the only reason we are losing then kick his ass to the curb and bring in a coach that can win. (for those of you that can't figure it out, I am not advocating Kill gets fired just tired of the I take full responsibility for the loss line because no one with half a brain would buy it).

Thanks, that was insightful. So, let's blame the kids. Please. Let it go.

Thanks, that was insightful. So, let's blame the kids. Please. Let it go.

I would like to put in to place a rule that we stop calling them "kids" (myself included) or the offender is whipped by all Gopherholers at the next home game.

They are adult athletes getting paid to play a game. You can't argue that.

As always, thanks for the write up. Kill just seems beside himself with all of the injuries taking place. He's done well considering that fact.

Top Bottom