The Smash Brothers

I'm glad you posted this. I have not been sure of your level of support...

I think its safe to say I have more faith in the talent on defense. And have touted them.

Two postings I made about a week ago sound a lot like the story about the Smash Brothers.

In response to a Scout story about the safeties,

"The story is a little short sighted. While they focus on the safeties, there is no mention of Carter returning as one of the best corners in the league. I would love to see a player like Watkins beat out Collado on the other side and be able to provide press coverage.

The one player on defense that we need an answer on is Gary Tinsley. Will he start? His presence behind the wall of Edwards and Kirksey and Theret behind him is strength up the middle.

When it comes to the flanks, its Hageman, Rallis, and hopefully Watkins on one side.
Whilhite, Cooper, and Carter on the other.

If Theret and Royston play halves, rotate to a side, or blitz Theret and or Cooper we should still should be able to cover.

This is a case where talent is more valuable than experience.

Coach 'em up! "

And This,

"Anchoring the defensive backfield are senior starters Kim Royston and Kyle Theret. Minnesota will rely on these two head-hunters to ignite the defense with their physical play and provide leadership for a group of inexperienced defenders

I disagree with this opening sentence. First it could be argued that having Carter at corner able to press man coverage is certainly a strength, able to provide some leadership, if not be an anchor in the secondary. And then to overlook his talent and include him in a group of inexperienced defenders is the final straw. And when it comes to inexperienced defenders is he including Rallis, Cooper, Tinsley, Edwards, Kirksey? Again certainly Edwards and Kirksey have the ability to ignite the defense with their physical play.

The only true inexperienced player on the first team defense is probably the most anticipated additon. Mr. Hageman."

Talk, talk, talk, nothing but talk with absolutely nothing to back it up. Will they still be talking in November? Tune in......

Yesterday Beal was the best LB in the Big 10. Today Carter is the best CB in the Big 10. Brewster has said Kirksey & Jewhan are the best tackle tandem in the Big 10. The best, best, best! There should be no excuses for missing a BSC bowl this season!!

Smash mouth defensive football has returned! That would, indeed be a very good thing. I can hardly wait. Now we no longer have a "nameless" defense. I doubt if OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, PSU, Michigan State, Purdue, Illinois and NU have any idea what they will have to contend with. It will be such a pleasure to watch October and November unfold this year if this is more than just pre-season trash-talk and hype. I don't doubt that right now the talk is heart-felt and believed by the people being interviewed, but, now it will have to be backed up with actions on the football field in Big Ten play. Now that the name has been placed on the talk, all we have to do is sit back and watch to see if the walk matches the talk. There will be plenty of chances for these young men to go out there and "smash" 'em. I would love nothing more than to see a real smash-mouth defense that actually achieves more than it says it will when it is talking about itself before the start of the season. I want to see the defense achieve more and probably talk about it a little less. That is the way it usually works the best. "Speak softly and carry a big stick." I can hardly wait to see the Big Ten standings at the end of November! Those standings will tell us how much smashing the smash brothers, et al did. But, the defense works as a unit and is usually only as good as the weakest links. Good luck. Don't talk about it. Just DO it.

Sorry to be optomistic, and stop hating, Beal had like 50 offers, he will be a top LB in the Big Ten if he stays healthy, no doubt.

Sorry to be optomistic, and stop hating, Beal had like 50 offers, he will be a top LB in the Big Ten if he stays healthy, no doubt.
Yes, because a guy who couldn't crack the 2 deeps at a SEC school is almost certainly destined for a Dick Butkus like career in the Big 10...........if you say so.

Some people are so negative they have a very teeny weeny voice because of their absurdity. But fun to laugh at.

I don't think we'll sneak up on any teams, it's more the media that will be surprised. The other teams watched these kids last year, they know how talented they are.

Tis the season for optimism!! The pessimism will come if needed.

Some people are so negative they have a very teeny weeny voice because of their absurdity. But fun to laugh at.

I don't think we'll sneak up on any teams, it's more the media that will be surprised. The other teams watched these kids last year, they know how talented they are.

I agree. To sneak up on another team, we'd have to show something we didn't have last year. I think we'll be another average defense again this year. Which granted, is better than Brew's first 2 years, or the last 5 or so of Mase's. I don't think the defense will be our downfall. It will once again be lack of talent on offense.

I was happy with how the D-Line held up last year and am really excited to see if Hageman can be as good as some think. I tend to ignore Brew's projections as he would have told us Rudy could have been an all-american if the coaches had just put him in. We could do a lot with a good pass rush. We do have a decent secondary and the trick is not just sacks on 3rd down, but getting teams to 3rd and long. Something the Vikings excel at and the Gophs have not. I'm still a fan of the 4-3 just because you get more weight right at the point of attack. Glad to finally have a year where we plug in guys we've groomed instead of jc transfers...

Yes, because a guy who couldn't crack the 2 deeps at a SEC school is almost certainly destined for a Dick Butkus like career in the Big 10...........if you say so.

IMO and that of numerous others who watched the tape, Beal was the best LB on the field in FU's Spring Game. Maybe you should take some time to look for yourself and come back to the Hole with a more informed opinion.

Dick Butkus career??? Yeh right. Who is saying that? What most of us expect is for him to be a good performer based on what little we know but time will always tell.

BTW, Beal was listed as 2nd team backup at LB going into Spring ball. Consider doing your homework before posting.

You make it sound like he couldn't crack the 2 deeps at Vandy or something.. He was at Florida, i've heard their pretty good. I for one cannot wait till this kid hits the field for the U.

I like the "Smash Brothers" label. The first thing defenders need is confidence, by adopting the name, tells me they're confident. It's the coaches job to keep them grounded. Another thing I like is when Brewster is talking defense, instead of the over the top hyperbole, we're getting a sedate "You know we have the chance to be very good". It's the sound of a very confident Head Coach. I get very different feeling about this years team from previous years.

Florida likes to have fast LB's. Beal is more of a Zach Thomas type rather than a Patrick Willis.

Which is why i believe he didnt get much PT.

You make it sound like he couldn't crack the 2 deeps at Vandy or something.. He was at Florida, i've heard their pretty good. I for one cannot wait till this kid hits the field for the U.

Don't feed the troll (aka Darth Pantherhawk or Johnny Appleseed or Harry PotterGuy or whatever the loser calls himself these days).

Florida likes to have fast LB's. Beal is more of a Zach Thomas type rather than a Patrick Willis.

Which is why i believe he didnt get much PT.

That he was injured probably had something to do with it. He has four years of eligibility left and will burn one sitting out as a transfer.

Love the nickname! Basically because I used to get stoned and play Super Smash Brothers all the time in college.

Don't feed the troll (aka Darth Pantherhawk or Johnny Appleseed or Harry PotterGuy or whatever the loser calls himself these days).

exactly. identifying phawk doesn't take more than about one or two posts. the saddest thing about his life is that he is dedicated to being a troll and he even fails miserably at that.

Top Bottom