The sitting/standing argument

"You want to be a bump on a log, you can be one somewhere else."

What did you mean by "somewhere else"? I assumed that if people are not going to be in their seats it would be outside TCF Bank stadium.

Somewhere else means some other seats. You know... as I stated twice in the post you quoted.

You don't want to be behind someone standing? Move. Lord knows there are open seats.

Somewhere else means some other seats. You know... as I stated twice in the post you quoted.

You don't want to be behind someone standing? Move. Lord knows there are open seats.

So your position would be different if we get the program turned around to the point where 50,000 show up every week?

Haha. One can dream huh?

I think if there were sell outs less people would be whining about sitting or standing and they'd enjoy the game. Malcontent fans love to find things to piss and moan about. Those who do whine in that situation might be happier at home. I'm not saying they should go home, but you know... the couch has to be more comfortable. Face it. It's about selfish comfort and not the game or the team. Want to sit? why not do so in the AC with a better view? Don't try to nullify another fan's show of support for your own selfish reasons. Deal with it, move, or instead of wasting your breath whining, support your team. I know that's asking a lot from some Gopher fans though.

most normal schools dont have a special cheer for first downs either. we're just 'special'.

"First and ten, Wisconsin!"

(Granted that is the only other d1 football game I have been to but they do it too, it's not a thing where we are the only team that has a first down cheer so hopefully you weren't trying to rip on us for needing to celebrate 1st downs)

Indiana First Downs

If I recall correctly the Hoosiers have a kind of song & dance routine they do on first down conversions. Some kind of arm pumping deal.

Go Gophers! Beat Bucky!

most normal schools dont have a special cheer for first downs either. we're just 'special'.

1) Not true. Many schools do something similar.

2) Utterly, completely and totally irrelevant in any case. It seems that we can't have any traditions unless they are BOTH a) something no one else does and b) something everyone does. If you do something everyone else does, people will complain that we're just following the crowd. If we do something unique, people will complain about that too.

What the hell is Gophers Stadium?

It is what you call your college football stadium if you can't call it by the name (or nickname) of the corporate sponsor without puking. I guess the U Stadium, Minnesota Gophers Stadium, or just plain old Brickhouse would work just as well. I am always open to other suggestions.

I fail to see how standing makes your cheers any louder than if you're sitting.

If nothing else I'm enjoying reading this "debate." I've been a Gopher football season ticket holder for 11 years in various capacities. I've been to the Horseshoe, Spartan Stadium, Michigan Stadium, Memorial in Illinois, Kinnick 3 times, Ross Ade, Memorial in Indiana, and Neyland Stadium in Tennessee. Every school and every stadium treats every facet of the game experience in their own way. This is where the term "home field advantage" comes from. The home team thus has an advantage based on the interaction between the crowd and the game.

With the move back to campus in to a brand new state of the art stadium (with crappy Aramark concessions) we as Gopher fans have the opportunity to start new traditions. No matter what they are, they are ours. So if some fans stand throughout the game, and do it in a considerate manner of those around them then so be it. If others are more comfortable sitting and then standing for "important plays" than so be it. Think about it logically. If you are the only 3 people standing in an entire section, maybe sit down and follow the lead of the others in the section. If you are the only 3 people sitting, maybe its time you stand and stop whining. Either way you are not going to get the 1000 other people sharing your section to change what they are doing based on your disagreement with it.

In the end I would rather have 50,000 sitting fans in the stadium enjoying a good product than 3 standing fans. This thread wouldn't exist if the stadium was sold out and the game held our attention rather than those sitting around us.

As a college football fanatic and season ticket holder, I'll offer this:

It's a myth that "real" football schools have non-student fans who stand the entire game. I've been to Auburn, Notre Dame, Arizona State, Cal, Iowa State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern and Ohio State...and never saw non-student fans standing the entire game at any of these places.
I don't think it's too much to ask that non-student fans stand only on third downs and key plays. To me, it's downright rude and inconsiderate not to do so.
Funny, I was watching Oregon last night in one of the great atmospheres in college football, and it might be a big shock, but the majority of their fans SIT when it's not a big play!
This bashing of "old people" is mean-spirited and just plain wrong. I've sat in several sections over the years, and have NEVER had an "old person" yell at me to sit on third down or big plays.
If you want to stand the entire game, do what I've done on occasion: Simply move to the top of either level behind the seats. You can stand all you want. Or, move to the student section.
And no, I'm not old or out of shape. I'm approaching middle-age, and have run several marathons and still run races of various distances fairly often, including this morning.

I am a Duck season ticket holder.... We stand when we are on Defense...sit when we are on offense. This only applies when we are playing a competitive game, or a big game. Our section (non-student) stood for every defensive play Saturday.

Top Bottom