The season can turn around tonight

If EVERYONE on this team plays with some desperation as though they are pissed as hell that no one is giving them a chance, I think we can give the Hoosiers a run for their money. One lazy effort and we are toast.

I have the same thoughts about tonight's game. One player not being willing to give his all, get on the floor for loose balls, or whatever he can do to help the team will sink us. But they have plenty to be pissed about with their fan base writing them off after the Wisco game, so let's see it.

Gophs DID pull the IU upset, but the season went south
nonetheless.

The season was already deemed to be over at that point by most. Ye of little faith.

Considering how enormous the Indiana upset was ON THE ROAD, I think we should be able to pull this game off AT HOME as well.

Good bump for a thread! :cool02::cool02::cool02:
I'm ready to experience some of that deja vu all over again. After all, being a Gopher fan is a faith-based initiative.

The juxtaposition is poor. Gophs DID pull the IU upset, but the season went south
nonetheless.

Actually- the season is in no worse shape then when we were when we went into Indiana. If we win tonight - however unlikely that is- we'd be in pretty decent position again. With work to do....

If being a MN fan is faith-based..

I guess we're devided on intellegent design. (ooh, that's bad)

In all seriousness, MSU demonstrated how to beat OSU: force turnovers. When Sully puts the ball on the floor, double and strip. It will mean leaving a shooter open, but OSU is not doing that well from 3 so it might work.

On offense, I think the Gophs need to look at OR like the game within the game. Win the OR battle and they may win. This means focusing on shot selection; a teammate needs to be in position for the rebound before for the shot goes up. The "new" flex offense should work well. That said, OSU has one of the most efficient defenses because they limit ORs and force frequent TOs. And that leads to tons of heartbreaking fast-breaks with inevitable "and 1's."

Go Gophers! I can't wait to watch the game on DVR after my wife falls asleep.

I guess we're devided on intellegent design. (ooh, that's bad)

In all seriousness, MSU demonstrated how to beat OSU: force turnovers. When Sully puts the ball on the floor, double and strip. It will mean leaving a shooter open, but OSU is not doing that well from 3 so it might work.

On offense, I think the Gophs need to look at OR like the game within the game. Win the OR battle and they may win. This means focusing on shot selection; a teammate needs to be in position for the rebound before for the shot goes up. The "new" flex offense should work well. That said, OSU has one of the most efficient defenses because they limit ORs and force frequent TOs. And that leads to tons of heartbreaking fast-breaks with inevitable "and 1's."

Go Gophers! I can't wait to watch the game on DVR after my wife falls asleep.

I don't think those "and 1s" are inevitable. I think the most infuriating play in basketball (short of missing a dunk/open lay-in, which should never happen) is when a player is so far behind on a break that they can't disrupt the shot, but foul anyways to give the other team a free extra free throw in addition to the open two they just had plus adding to the individual foul trouble and bonus situation.

OSU isn't invincible. They have lost to 2 teams gophers have wins over. That's not usually a good indicator but this is why they play the games.

No star treatment would help

It will help if the stripes don't give Sullinger the star treatment like he usually gets. Sullinger & all his theatrics didn't get the star treatment vs. MSU and look what happened.

Considering we were 0-4 going to IU, I'd have to say this season undoubtedly improved after that win. The only real bad loss we've had was Iowa. We need a big win to cancel that out.....perhaps tonight? :)

If they're hitting the outside shot, we're in deep, so here's to them struggling from the perimeter

It will help if the stripes don't give Sullinger the star treatment like he usually gets. Sullinger & all his theatrics didn't get the star treatment vs. MSU and look what happened.

Make no mistake the gophers don't really have a guy that matches up well with him. Ralph and EE are going to have to play very physical tonight. If they could go at him agressively a few times, I'd like to see if the Zebra's will call him for a couple of fouls when he's playing defense. Sullinger isn't a great leaper and the EE and Ralph's length could get a couple of cheap fouls early. I'd try it if I were the coach.

Andre will start tonight. I think Coleman is going to be better off the bench as he's been struggling lately. Him and Chip off the bench should be a good spark. If Tubby manages it right, it should be a close game if those 3 guys show up tonight.

Is there any reason we couldn't play to try and get Sullinger in foul trouble? Pass the ball inside to whoever Sullinger is guarding and every time a guard drives have them drive in his direction? If we make him participate in every defensive play, we may not score early, but I would rather let them build a lead and take my chances coming back with him on the bench than play against him.

Actually- the season is in no worse shape then when we were when we went into Indiana. If we win tonight - however unlikely that is- we'd be in pretty decent position again. With work to do....

Yes it's no worse than at that point, but it's basically the same, faltering in conference with bleak prospects for an NCAA bid.

Top Bottom